Commuters, What Do You Guys Eat For Lunch On Work Days?

Hi there,

I'm struggling with what to pack for lunch Monday through Friday. At work we have a microwave, a fridge, a sink, and hot water, which is more than some people have. For a while I packed veggies and grass-fed beef in a glass container, nuked it in the microwave, then added butter and MCT, but apparently microwaves will kill you dead so I'm trying to avoid that. 

In the BP Diet book the only unheated lunch/dinner recipes are the Salmon Bites with butter or avocado. These are not my favorite thing without sushi seaweed. Plus, I can't find the recommended kind of salmon-- my Whole Foods only has the farmed Norwegian stuff for smoked, and the sockeye you can only buy in filets. Let's not even mention how phenomenally expensive smoked salmon is-- I'd be talking $11 in the lunch for the salmon alone. In addition, I love avocado but here in Colorado it's really hard to find good ones anytime of the year except summer. We're talking tiny avocados that go from hard to rotten with no state in between. And no matter how much I wish it was, salmon with cucumber and butter is NOT a Philadelphia roll. Sushi has seaweed.

I've also looked at BP salads but poultry is supposed to be only 3 times a week or so and beef is just gross on salad. Plus, the BP dressing are almost all avocado-based (so not an option 70% of the year) and/or they require a ton of prep (ie the ranch) and/or they have to be eaten within a day (which means chopping and blending a dressing every, single, day).

Restaurants, you ask? I'm not somewhere hip like the Bay or LA or New York City, no one's heard of Bulletproof. Maybe I could find a non-organic, grass-fed, grain-finished burger with over-cooked non-organic non-pastured bacon and avocado slices, and then add butter, but those four ingredients would have to be my entire lunch, and they're not terribly Bulletproof. It's not something I'd want to do more than once a week.

Anyone tried a protein shake for lunch? So bringing in a blender, throwing in some BP veggies, almond milk (which is already not the most BP option), adding collagen and whey, BP stevia/vanilla/chocolate, and MCT oil? 

I'm this close to just buying a damn hotplate for the office and suffering through the weird looks. But I'm also frustrated that it's been this hard for me to make a BP lunch I can take to work. Isn't Dave supposed to be a busy man-on-the-go? What the hell did he eat before he could afford to have grass-fed steaks delivered? I'm solid middle class, 4 year degree, software developer, no kids, plenty of time and energy, dedicated to my health, open-minded-- Dave Asprey's wet dream for the ideal BP convert. I can't even imagine if I was a single parent trying to make myself and my kids BP. My heart goes out to them. I've already invested a ton of money and time into becoming BP. It shouldn't be this hard to eat lunch. 

Thanks for listening to the rant and for any ideas you guys have.

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015

Some things to consider:

-Intermittent fasting till you get home from work.

-A Bulletproof coffee

-Pack a bunch of veggies, like celery, carrots, cauliflower, tomatoes (if you tolerate nightshades), salad

-Canned wild salmon and sardines are both convenient and affordable. I discovered canned wild salmon recently and it'll be supplanting the expensive smoked salmon I'd been eating so much of. You could also throw this onto your salad if you feel like it.

-Jerky/Meat sticks

-Dark chocolate

-Make a BP trail mix, or simply bring along a baggie of raw nuts

-If you're even moderately active, a bit of fruit, like a banana, is not out of the question. Or berries

-A protein shake

-Make a BP soup or stew and store it in a thermos for lunch-time

-Consider various types of available food bars, like Epic bars, Exo bars, Bulletproof protein bars, Kind Bars, etc

There are a lot of options. It also depends on how strict you want to be. Sometimes the perfect can be the enemy of the good. You'll save yourself a lot of time, headache and performance by making some sensible compromises now and then, IMO. Best of luck.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• The thermos-soup idea is smart. 

If you do a salad with chicken 3x a week for lunch, then you only have 2 other packed lunch meals to plan... 

My salad dressings sometimes involve avocado, but a simple olive oil + apple cider vinegar (5-to-1-ish?) + salt is great. Especially adding herbs and/or a garlic clove (criss-crossed with cuts) for flavor... That's a dressing I keep in the fridge. 

I'm not a smoothie person, myself. But please share if you land on some good recipes? I found the whey-recipie to taste good but make me bloat a bit. 

Hot plate - yeah - you'd get some looks I bet. What about a toaster oven? That is less of a production to use, and you could still heat up some regular meals without the aforementioned dead-killing effect... Those 2-cup sized pyrex small dishes from Target will fit inside. Toaster ovens are pretty cheap, too - I'd request one, or gift one to the common area myself. 

• Thank you @Skeletor and @mmejoanna. Those are some good suggestions. There are toaster ovens for less than $50-100 online. And I've always loved canned salmon on salad-- my coworkers will just have to put up with the smell  :-P

I also agree that it's better to just have some vinaigrette that I actually like and eat Bulletproof for the other 80% of my food, than to give up and hit Chipotle because my weird BP dressing is so gross. It's easy to get neurotic about the BP recommendations but unless someone is sensitive I don't think a little balsamic vinegar will be a problem.

I'll post any good smoothie recipes. I've been trying the Jay Robb whey protein-- it's labelled as isolate but is labelled as "cold-processed cross-flow microfiltered" from pastured cows and "rich in immunoglobulins, alpha-lactalbumin, and beta-lactoalbumin and other immune boosting factors" (all from manufacturer's website). It's probably not as good as Upgraded Whey but once again it comes down to real-world factors: it tastes like heaven and it's nearly half the price per ounce of Upgraded Whey. I mixed almond milk (refrigerated and ice cubes), vanilla powder, cashews, and MCT, then added the Jay Robb whey at the end, and it was frothy and delicious.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I'll post any good smoothie recipes. I've been trying the Jay Robb whey protein-- it's labelled as isolate but is labelled as "cold-processed cross-flow microfiltered" from pastured cows and "rich in immunoglobulins, alpha-lactalbumin, and beta-lactoalbumin and other immune boosting factors" (all from manufacturer's website). It's probably not as good as Upgraded Whey but once again it comes down to real-world factors: it tastes like heaven and it's nearly half the price per ounce of Upgraded Whey. I mixed almond milk (refrigerated and ice cubes), vanilla powder, cashews, and MCT, then added the Jay Robb whey at the end, and it was frothy and delicious.

Check our Vegetables in Smoothies thread for some ideas, and if your recipes fall into the mostly-veggie category, please post there. 

When I first started paying attention to my diet I did 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking, and I used Jay Robb. It worked well until it didn't. Basically about 2 months in I started getting horrible gas... not passing it, but it was clearly moving around in my gut, to the point where my stomach would make embarrassing squeaky groaning noises, and I'd have to go to the bathroom way too much. Stupidly, it took me a while to figure out the whey was the problem. So just a heads up if that happens to you. Now I just stick to small doses of whey post workout. For me, the Upgraded Whey was better, but more than 15g or so still causes problems. 

Soft-boiled eggs could be a commuter option as well. 

• I normally go to Wegmans and get wild caught smoked sockeye. I bring a small package of that and a whole avocado. I wrap the salmon around the avocoda and sprinkle with himalayan sea salt and chow. 

pain is weakness leaving the body

•  

I'm struggling with what to pack for lunch Monday through Friday. At work we have a microwave, a fridge, a sink, and hot water, which is more than some people have. For a while I packed veggies and grass-fed beef in a glass container, nuked it in the microwave, then added butter and MCT, but apparently microwaves will kill you dead so I'm trying to avoid that. ...

Thanks for posting this. I came to this forum to get this exact question asked and you saved me the trouble!

Did you decide how you're going to approach this, ebb333?  How is it going now?

I work in a call center virtually the same kitchen situation you described so I'm keen to know how this is going for you now if you care to share some more.

• I'd say this is a fairly typical lunch room. What more do y'all expect?

And there is zero evidence that eating microwaved food will kill you. Most of these claims come from people trying to sell you things.

• Breakfast: baby spring mix, celery, soft boiled eggs, a little jar with some kind of dressing, usually mayo and/or a mixture of Mct oil and acv with herbs and spices. I also bring my aeropress, grinder, and beans, and a pot for water cause theirs suck.

Snack: 2 epic bars

Lunch: baby spring mix, cucumber, daikon radish, sardines, little jar of dressing, chocolate

• Breakfast: baby spring mix, celery, soft boiled eggs, a little jar with some kind of dressing, usually mayo and/or a mixture of Mct oil and acv with herbs and spices. I also bring my aeropress, grinder, and beans, and a pot for water cause theirs suck.

Snack: 2 epic bars

Lunch: baby spring mix, cucumber, daikon radish, sardines, little jar of dressing, chocolate

You don't intermittent fast? 

• i intermittent fast every night from about 8 or 9pm until 7 or 8am in the morning. i used to do the BP IFing thing for my first year or two of following the bulletproof stuff, and decided it's probably not the best thing to do all the time. 

• I just started BP a few days ago, I have an identical work situation, except we have a pretty decent cafeteria, but since I cant be sure all the things they have are BP, I decided to just bring a heep of broccoli and I borrowed a small cup from the cafeteria, (usually reserved for salad dressings purchased there) and I put a large spoon full of (BP) butter and a few tbsp. of MCT oil, and microwave it for only a very few seconds, enough to melt the butter, (be careful it emulsifies quickly, maybe any more and I might have burned it) Its barely warm enough to stay warm until my last piece of broccoli.  Basically I salt (with that Himalayan pink salt) the melted butter mixed with MCT oil, and dip the broccoli flourettes into the butter and it tastes amazing, and I'm STUFFED until dinner.  Obviously I had BP coffee in the am, and I can easily make it to 1:00 or 2:00 before I should eat, since I finished eating at 7:30 some nights.

The first day (2 days ago) was just an experiment (to see how I liked BP at all), and I bought some softboiled eggs, and spinach, also I brought enough broccoli to equal 4 conventional (cooked) servings, and I could barely finish 2 servings.  I put Apple cider vinegar on the spinach, and I could tell the difference from my usual red wine vinegar.  It was also very tasty with a slight bit of the crumbled pieces of the softboiled yoke pieces.

I'm pretty sure I'm not officially PB, but I purchased the audio book, and I listened as intently as I could (at work, I'm a design engineer so I can click on the computer all day and do that kind of stuff and not have to interface with people for long stretches) I guess in that respect I'm kinda lucky to have a job like this.

glad I checked out this thread, I never thought of canned salmon, as I listened to PBD book on Audible (headphones), so Im sure I missed that if its covered in the audio book.

I was kinda hoping someone could remember what chapter its on, or check their book and steer me to the chapter that mentions what the first 2 week protocol is supposed to be.  I purchased the physical book, but its still being shipped at the moment. 

I am taking a test drive of BP and started on Wednesday, but would like to read an official list of what the first 2 week protocol is asap, as it seems pretty easy so far, and I cant believe my pants already fit better in only 2 full days.

• I have 2 of these crockpot foodwarmers at my desk : http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-PK-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V7ZY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458683991&sr=8-2&keywords=crockpot+food+warmer

I premake a weeks worth of grassfed ground beef with seasoning and put them individual containers and freeze.

I put one of them in the crockpot in the morning when I get to work.  Top with with frozen organic veggies usually broccoli or cauliflower and spinach.  I use both crockpots so i can get enough veggies in.

By lunch my food is warm.  And i top it with homemade ranch that i make with primal mayo.  I eat this every day of the week and never tire of it.

• I have 2 of these crockpot foodwarmers at my desk : http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-PK-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V7ZY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1458683991&sr=8-2&keywords=crockpot+food+warmer

I premake a weeks worth of grassfed ground beef with seasoning and put them individual containers and freeze.

I put one of them in the crockpot in the morning when I get to work.  Top with with frozen organic veggies usually broccoli or cauliflower and spinach.  I use both crockpots so i can get enough veggies in.

By lunch my food is warm.  And i top it with homemade ranch that i make with primal mayo.  I eat this every day of the week and never tire of it.

Are you able to put the ground beef in while it is still frozen and it's warmed by lunch or do you thaw overnight first?

• Are you able to put the ground beef in while it is still frozen and it's warmed by lunch or do you thaw overnight first?

I usually thaw it the night before.  But I have forgotten and put frozen in and it works just  fine.  My veggies are frozen and they're hot by lunch.