Frozen Vegetables, How Healthy Compared To Fresh?

CalvinCalvin
edited June 2015 in The Bulletproof Diet

Frozen Vegetables, how healthy compared to fresh.

+ Cheaper, more convenient, time efficient (already chopped etc.),  less mold??

- Less nutrients? More Pesticides?        ?????

Opinions?

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

In my opinion, frozen vegetables are the way to go. They're often cheaper than fresh, far more convenient, and tend to be higher quality (and more nutritious) than typical grocery store fare because they're picked at the height of freshness and frozen right away. I've been buying big ol' sacks of frozen broccoli lately. Scoop out a few handfuls of frozen florets, dump them in the steamer and BOOM-- tasty broccoli in minutes.

If you can't grow your own veggies (the best option) or buy fresh, high quality veggies locally, then frozen is probably the next best option.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• In my opinion, frozen vegetables are the way to go. They're often cheaper than fresh, far more convenient, and tend to be higher quality (and more nutritious) than typical grocery store fare because they're picked at the height of freshness and frozen right away. I've been buying big ol' sacks of frozen broccoli lately. Scoop out a few handfuls of frozen florets, dump them in the steamer and BOOM-- tasty broccoli in minutes.

If you can't grow your own veggies (the best option) or buy fresh, high quality veggies locally, then frozen is probably the next best option.

Hi, yeah thanks for response. They certainly are more convenient. If they don't contain lots of pesticide and are only slightly less nutritious than fresh I think I will start eating frozen veggies to save money. I can eat more of them instead that way also and that will compensate for less nutritional value. I guess I can do a little of both.

• Organic frozen veggies are the way to go. Berries too.
  • Frozen vegetables make me cry. I get the whole picked at the height of freshness thing, however once frozen and thawed/cooked the texture and flavour fails to tick any boxes. I would rather non-organic fresh vegetables than organic frozen. I would switch to frozen to avoid pesticides.

• I don't get all my veggies frozen but some are just more convenient that way. I love frozen berries in the summertime so again it is convenient.