The Bp Reason To Stay Away From Carbs?

I don't know if I missed something obvious but what is the Bulletproof Diets reason to stay away from carbs so much? Having only 5% of your intake come from carbs?

Is it because you get tired of carbs or some other reason?

Or is it only because you tend to gain weight when eating carbs? In my case that would be good since I have a hard time getting enough kcal in a day from just eating protein and fat. But maybe there is other reasons like I mentioned with getting tired etc or less energy from eating more carbs?

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

cognitive performance boost from ketosis.

inflammation and cancer reduction from ketosis.

if you need to gain weight you need to eat more bp carbs. ;)

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• tjohejtjohej
    edited July 2015

Yes I feel I have a really hard time to keep my weight and also less energy when training when I don't eat enough carbs now. Or perhaps the energy drain when training could be because I don't get enough kcals. I eat in the intermidiate fasting way (8 hour window) so I should still be in ketosis most of the day?

I have tried to increase my kcal by eating more fat but I feel like I am gonna puke almost from it :s

As for now I take 50g butter in my morning coffee and 50g in the rest of the meals I eat that day so that is a total of 100g butter a day. If i take more I feel a bit nousiated.

I am thinking I could add sweet potatoes to may days to fill up the rest kcal I need. I should still be in ketosis most of the time since I eat in a 8 hour window? It will probably not be a whole lot carbs from the sweet pototes since I only need about 200-300 more kcal to fill up with every day to at least keep my weight, should I still do a carb day once a week to really fill up on carbs?

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Yes I feel I have a really hard time to keep my weight and also less energy when training when I don't eat enough carbs now. Or perhaps the energy drain when training could be because I don't get enough kcals.

The BP diet is optimized for mental performance, and advocates only working out occasionally, like once a week, 10-20 minutes of high intensity intervals or body by science weight lifting. 

If you train more than that, as it sounds like you do, you will need to add kcals, almost certainly as carbs. HIIT and weight lifting both overwhelm the body's ability to convert fat to energy, forcing it to turn to glucose. On a standard BP diet, there isn't much glucose from diet, so it often comes from glycogen (stored glucose) which eventually gets depleted, and you "crash." If you want to go on an easy hike or something, it's fine to stick to fat. But if you're performing anywhere near 80% of your max effort or above (training) eat carbs. 

You can time them around your workout and keep fat low, or just work out fasted at the start of your eating window and then eat immediately. For amounts and details see Jason Miller's "Bulletproofing the Athlete" thread in the Athletic Performance forum. 

• steve001steve001
    edited July 2015

I would like to see the evidence and proof that our ancestors actually ate a diet of 70, 25, 5. I think if you look at nature and do some research (Our native ancestors had access to plenty of carbs) then a more realistic figure would be 50% fat 25% protein 25% carbs.

Why you need proof for that? Bulletproof is not paleo or what our ancestors did...  it is backed by science and experience.

10000 years ago there were tribes who ate vegan and other ate mostly animal... Depending on the season there was also a big difference in the diet as you can imagine so I certainly do not do what any of these tribes did. They recently analyzed a bunch of old skelletons and took the stuff they found between their teeth. It was almost all fruit...

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• steve001steve001
    edited July 2015

Because long term proof and science will win over short term proof and science. Show me the proof and science that eating 5 percent carbs is benefiting humans in the long term... There is not much. Its like saying eating GMO is safe but there is no long term studies, so anyone saying GMO is safe is full of it.

Im not saying the tribes necessarily had the healthiest diet all the time. They ate what they could.  But I think a lot has to do with genetics. One person might need a low carb diet because its there genetic trait, and another person might have to eat red meat all the time. Like a person that needs the extra heme iron, and people that have tendencies to be anemic. One person might need a large ton of protein everyday. There is not one size fits all. Self experimentation and how good you feel. If you feel fantastic on 5 percent carbs and your not plagued by fatigue GREAT! If you can work out build muscles for 7 hours straight on 5 percent carbs then that is GREAT!. You found your perfect diet.

edited July 2015

Your talking weird stuff now. Your question was something entirely different. Now you are talking about working out all day on 5% carbs. What the hell is going on? Are your carbs making you dizzy? :D There is a really big thread on how much to eat in my signature. Eat that.

How much to eat:

• steve001steve001
    edited July 2015

I figured out what works best for me thanks to many of those links and some self modifications. :cool: I just eat a balance of protein carbs and fat. Works like wonders.

Yea that sounds bulletproof. As mentioned in my very first post here if someone is underweight he/she needs to eat carbs and be not in ketosis. Being underweight can be just as dangerous as being overweight in sojme cases. I like cyclical ketosis the most and no I do not workout every day. I work a deskjob...

How much to eat:

• tjohejtjohej
    edited July 2015

Since I started the thread I have added about 400g sweet potatoes daily for carbs. Now I don't know this for sure or if there is some other factor but I have noticed I have started to feel "groggy" and tired over the last days.

The reason I went into the bulletproof diet was because I have had a big problem with tiredness my whole life. I am physically fit and weight train about 4 times a week, I am anot overweight. (178cm in height, 72kg body weight, about 10% bodyfat)

Could it be the extra carbs that are making me tired again? The reason I added the carbs back was that it was so hard to get up to my daily kcal needs with just protein and fat, and I also noticed a kind of other fatigue when lifting weights. The rest of the day I had much more clearity and energy then I have ever had though.

Now I am a bit unsure what to do, I can't be 100% sure it is the carbs that are making me feeling tired again, but it seems like it. If guess I could try to cut back on the carbs again, I do have 1 day in the week when I eat "only" carbs though to refill, should that refill not last for the rest of the week when I am training? I have heard this only protein and fat diet with 1 day of carbs was the diet the bodybuilders in the "golden age" was using, maybe I just need to up my kcal intake on my protein and fat diet? I was constantly under my kcal limit since it was so hard to find food with enough kcals on just protein and fat. I am even thinking if I should just drink extra brain octane oil to increase my kcal from fat since it is fairly easy to get down and tasteless, is there a limit on how much brain octane oil you should consume in a day?

Any thoughts on this?

• Two thoughts come to mind as I read this thread.

1. Jumping to 400g sweet potato sounds to me like a huge jump in a short time.  Usually that kind of changes requires a lot more time for the body to adjust. How many grams carbs is that?

2. Looks to me like you need to get into the science of what is going on.  Ingesting carbs raises blood sugar, which in turn raises insulin.  Insulin is the master hormone when it comes to the chemistry of handling carbs.  Perhaps you need to find out your fasting blood sugar and fasting insulin levels.  Go to your Dr. and get checked out.  Not being over weight and physically fit does not necessarily equate to not having pre-diabetic.  

• Jason Miller - I beg to differ.  73g of carb could have a huge effect if he is pre-diabetic or diabetic.  As I alluded to in my previous post; the guy needs to get himself checked out.  The fact that the carbs he is eating making him tired all the time is very suspect.

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited July 2015

In the Perfect Health Diet, there's a pretty convincing argument that a fasting person produces 120-160g of glucose per day, naturally, via gluconeogensis. If that's what we produce on the 3rd day of a fast, that's a pretty good indication of what we need, on average, in terms of daily glucose to keep our body running – before exercise.

Even though the BP diet macro ratios are below our baseline glucose needs, they work well for people who are sedentary because the body can release glucose from glycogen, and also generate glucose via gluconeogenesis, as it does in fasting people. And then we have a carb refeed day to replenish glycogen. All of this works out for people who follow the BP exercise guidelines: essentially being sedentary, exercising once per week, and prioritizing mental performance over physical. There is a bit of a burden on the body from eating below our daily glucose needs, but it all works out well for people who aren't very active and is a nice trade-off because a lot of people like the way ketones make them feel. 

But folks, when you are not sedentary and exercise more than once a week, you can overrun your body's ability to keep up. We see it time and again. 

Tjohej, and for that matter Tranceman too, where do you think the glucose is coming from when you lift 4x a week and eat below your baseline daily glucose needs, not to mention below the added glucose needs your exercise creates? Sure, a bit of it might come from fat, but the majority is coming from your lean tissue. The muscle you're trying to build is being broken down to correct the glucose deficit in your eating plan. 

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

Holy shit, 120-160 g from gluconeogenesis, that is a huge number! :o How much of that comes from protein?

If someone is not fasting, then I suppose this number can be much closer to zero?

Regarding tiredness after eating carbs, this will be very unscientific but when you go low carb your body adapts to that and it will get out of the routine of handling carbs. I used to have carb comas while I was eating low carb. Now I'm all okay after eating them. It's just the matter of what you get used to, it's not the fault of the carbs themselves. This is like low fat dieting people having diarrhea after their first BPC. Except that nobody here blames the BPC for that because they know it's about getting used to it.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    'tired after eating'...I vaguely recall something about that being a leaky gut symptom.

& continuing my vague recollections...(chronically) low mucous production may be a contributor to leaky gut...

fake it till you make it