Need To Know Breastmilk-Alternative Asap!

my sister gave birth a week ago. i love the little guy.

i came over and saw the brand of infant formula, and read the ingredient-list.

freaked the f**k out. i know that ingredient-list is above the brand in this case, but i personally find nestle to be amoral.

so, worst case scenario, baby needs to drink anything other than natural.

if you're going to write "one of her breast-feeding friends" then you dont have to wright that, you can save yourself the time.

Comments

• I would say incorporate coconut water and maybe colustrum into some kind of formula.  That's a tough one.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

is it ok to give bulletproof coffee to babies?

In all seriousness, I seem to recall the Better Baby Book listing a good alternative to conventional formula. Don't remember what it is, but you might start by looking there.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Weston A Price has a few recipes for homemade formula... I can't remember what the better baby book recommends and I lent out my copy... :-/

Is there are reason she's not breastfeeding? it's not too late to lactate!

• edited July 2015

Weston A Price has a few recipes for homemade formula... I can't remember what the better baby book recommends and I lent out my copy... :-/

Is there are reason she's not breastfeeding? it's not too late to lactate!

Everyone submitted useful, practical replies. That must be written.

She probably isnt lactating because she hates wisdom. Hollering that eating fat, from blemish-free sources in adequate amonts is wise, is useless.

People dont care. They dont even care about their own damn infants.

• edited July 2015

I understand your concern Water, but the most important thing this new baby and Mama need is your support! Even if she chooses to feed your nephew Nestle formula. If your sister wants to find or make a different formula perhaps helping her find a functional med pediatrician (if there is such a thing) who can recommend something for your nephew. Offering to help with the cost, or transportation, or food shopping, or laundry, whatever reduces her stress level and allows her to focus her energy on taking care of herself and this brand new amazing being she and the daddy just created. I wouldn't mess around with making or adding to an infant formula without a pediatrician's okay. You are right that breast milk is best. As long as she isn't being abusive or neglectful to the baby she has a right to parent and feed as she sees fit. I recall so many people giving me (probably well-meant) advice about parenting and feeding when I had my kids and it HURT - what I needed to hear is that I was a good Mom and I could follow my own heart in parenting my kids, and ask for advice if I needed it.

Please have compassion for your sister even if you don't agree with her choices. The way you treat a new Mom has an effect on the baby too.

Don't be a holier-than-thou nursing Nazi ;)

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭
    edited July 2015

She probably isnt lactating because she hates wisdom. Hollering that eating fat, from blemish-free sources in adequate amonts is wise, is useless.

Maybe don't holler. Ask. 

Ask where the baby will get the cholesterol, the Bifidobacterium infantis, and the galacto-oligosaccharides that feed the infantis, all of which is left out of most formula but found in breast milk. It's those types of questions that get us thinking from an ancestral point of view, and make it obvious certain things are missing in modern products. And then if your sister asks "well why would I want my baby to have cholesterol?" now you can have an actual dialogue on what the brain is made out of, not a monologue. That might cause her to read the nutrition facts on the formula, and select a better one. 

For many of us, we were led down this nutrition rabbit whole by asking ourselves "how could we have evolved hunting, eating so much fat and protein, when we now 'know' red meat and fat to be bad for us and we should be eating bread with margarine?" The right question makes people start to think in the right ways. 

That said, when you spend time in forums like these, it's easy to forget that humans are pretty adaptable. I was not breast fed and seemed to turn out OK, and the same is true from millions of Americans. 

• PARKERPARKER
    edited July 2015

Ouch.  There really isn't a good substitute.  What is the reason for not breastfeeding?  I would do anything to go back in time and have a better start.  I was not breastfed and have paid a very high price.  That being said if the mother's health is very poor, then, she won't produce very high quality breastmilk anyway.  That's why women really need to get their ducks in a row prior to pregnancy. 

• Ouch.  There really isn't a good substitute.  What is the reason for not breastfeeding?  I would do anything to go back in time and have a better start.  I was not breastfed and have paid a very high price.  That being said if the mother's health is very poor, then, she won't produce very high quality breastmilk anyway.  That's why women really need to get their ducks in a row prior to pregnancy. 

I agree. The replies here have been AWESOME. Remy is now two weeks old, "ACH85" is right, this really requires silk-gloves.

Ignorance is bliss, :P. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I kind of backed off for a while and, Im not gonna get into what brand, but I bought them an organic infant formula, and asked if they would consider using a tenth of it, or whatever, when making formula.

I think I know too much :P.

• If it helps, I use baby's only organic formula.

Breastfeeding was very important to me, but unfortunately my baby has a tongue tie and therefore due to inefficient suck I had low supply. Between pumping and nursing I still had to supplement. This is the formula I chose after agonizing over it. It's cost effective for organic and I feel ingredients are best in comparison to other formula. Also, I've seen it recommended on other sites to use in a pinch when you run out if Weston price homemade formula.

Good luck with your nephew. It's touchy for new moms, I've found that if they aren't already concerned about what they are feeding the baby, moms definitely don't like hearing it from others. Good luck!

• I want to share my experience and resources for people who need to supplement or solely feed their infants with formula. I had a similar issue - my son was born early and he had trouble breastfeeding at first, so my supply was not enough despite what felt like almost constant pumping to avoid having to supplement. I am and always have been a major promoter of breastfeeding, but sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. I was fortunate in that I only had to supplement with about 1 feeding/day, but I still wanted to make sure he wasn't getting any of the toxic ingredients in almost all infant formulas. 

I wound up doing an exhaustive evaluation of infant formulas. In the end, I just would not give my baby an American-manufactured formula. Even Baby's Only, which indeed is much better that any other US formulas in my opinion, has brown rice syrup as the first listed ingredient, which for a host of reasons is problematic to me. I started looking into European formulas, which actually 1) you can get here! and 2) there are options with MUCH better ingredients. It is a huge hassle I will say, as it's more expensive and you can't usually get it right away, so you generally have to order enough to keep you in supply for awhile (sometimes a shipment takes a month+ to come). But for us, it was totally worth it.

The two kinds that I found to be quite good comparatively speaking are Holle Lebenswert and Hipp, both of which come from bio-organic (a higher, European organic standard) grass-fed cows. In the end we went with the Holle Lebenswert because it had slightly better ingredient sourcing, but they are both very good. There are several online sources that you can order from, which is nice if one source is out or has a long wait for pre-orders. 

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

My wife had a similar milk-production problem to yours, iptsam.

We supplemented with about half formula (don't remember the exact brand, but was the best we could find and only came in "toddler" version). We would mix half and half breast milk to formula and I would add 1 pastured egg yolk, a pinch of sodium ascorbate, 1/8 capsule of Pure Encapsulations Super B complex and a few drops of MCT oil. 

Every other day I would add in 1000IU of D3 and once per week I would add a capsule of vitamin A, K2 and E (mixed tocopherols).

We also mixed up our own vitamin C in a dropper bottle with a mixture of ascorbic acid and sodium ascorbate powder, water and a pinch of stevia to counter the sour and he would get 100 mg for each month of age (100 mg at birth).

He had 1 fever while teething in his first year, but never got sick. His pediatrician said the average infant is sick 8-12 times in the first year. He just turned 3 on Sept 2nd and has been truly sick 1 time and this was treated by significantly upping his vitamin C intake.

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• Obviously, your friend will refuse to do anything safe with her child, if she was willing to even consider buying this. The safest brand of canned formula available in America is Babys Only. They will send a free can of it from Natures One website. I snuck in CLO which is the most important thing the formula is supposed to be supplemented with for parents who have no milk and cannot find farms or decent goats milk etc. at all. However a baby who is only getting processed tastes without lemons or anything as well as getting the same formula every day, may not eat the bottle with a tsp of CLO. there are flavored varieties of CLO which WAPF says are okay, but they contain synthetic vitamins including synthetic vitamin A which is very dangerous. If your friend is willing to keep her baby safe st all, the recipe for formula is also available on WAPF website. You can find it very easily by Googling, or by finding Food Babe's (actually accurate!) post regarding the matter. CapraMilk has a secondary recipe in case the family is incredibly poor. I did a mix of both and the only safe vitamin brand if you are using that is Dr Christopher's - It does not contain synthetic vitamins, but rather, food extracts including spirulina, and is specifically labeled as safe for infants. Goats milk is better then cows milk because it is more similar to breast milk, and the animal milk in any recipe should be watered down 50/50 (so you can take the gallon, pour exactly half by measuring, add all other ingredients, then fill the rest of the way with water). Goats milk does not contain sufficient iron. Food Babe 's post correct explains the extreme and lifelong Heath conditions caused by "baby formulas" - Scroll down past the picture of 6 brands of formula in order to skip the annoying "personal story" before the info. For canned formula, some people use instead a brand from Germany - starts with an H - that Food Babe mentions. Any European formula will cost double the normal price because that is the price of shipping, and there are safer brands of European formula that that German H one that exist. Babys Only will cost less then horrific formulas. It contains mass amount of synthetic vitamins, milk is not grass-fed, and water used while making it contains sodium flouride (at city level, and they say their city water is low). That is a complete list of all problems I remember while looking at Babys Only. Please be sure that any format used does not contain "Vitamin A" if you are able. Any ingredients listed on any ingredients label as "Vitamin X" are synthetic.

• Here is Food Babe's post: http://foodbabe.com/2013/05/28/how-to-find-the-safest-organic-infant-formula/

In case there is a medical condition, donated milk can be obtained from the Facebook pages "Human Milk 4 Human Babies" and "Eats on Feets" - look for the Pages (of each) for your state. These people consider only breastmilk in the way that 100% of people in UK do, so they may be eating tons of soy, be vegan, use Tylenol, etc.

• Check out weston a price, they have a raw milk recipe we have alternated with breast milk and it's amazing