How To Take Sun And Handle Exposure To Sun?

Olav007Olav007
edited July 2015 in Anti-aging

What are optimal procedures for handling intentional and non-intentional sun radiation?

Essentially: What factor/protection to use in different circumstances?

For me the main positive points are:

1. Building protection*
  2. Color
  3. Misc health benefits

​

Negative:

1. Long term skin damage (aging)
  2. Negative effects from creams etc.

​(Personally I do not have much acute problems, except for  local sunburn)

​

Intuitively for me, the positive effects should be logarithmic with intensity (less than proportional), and negative effects should be more like proportional (Then low exposure over long time should be optimal).  But from I see written about this, it seems to be more about dayly dose than intensity, and that both effects are proportional with a daily ceiling -  Talk like "With factor x you can stay x times longer in the sun", talk about Minimum Effective dose, maximum limit per day (But that is perhaps more for short term problems?)

How does this change if you take supplements to limit damage from the sun?

(Are the positive effects also decreased?)

Also, how should you adjust net exposure from day to day?

(*)In my case, I only have exposure  in short periods every year.  There will be periods without any protection from sunscreen, so for me it makes sense to build natural protection, for example by using a low factor cream.  Also high factor creams must have some negative tradeoffs with regards to durability and negative affects from the cream itself.  Both these points make less sense if daily dose is more important than intensity.

Tagged:

Comments

•  

What are optimal procedures for handling intentional and non-intentional sun radiation?

Essentially: What factor/protection to use in different circumstances?

For me the main positive points are:

1. Building protection*
    2. Color
    3. Misc health benefits

​

Negative:

1. Long term skin damage (aging)
    2. Negative effects from creams etc.

​(Personally I do not have much acute problems, except for  local sunburn)

​

Intuitively for me, the positive effects should be logarithmic with intensity (less than proportional), and negative effects should be more like proportional (Then low exposure over long time should be optimal).  But from I see written about this, it seems to be more about dayly dose than intensity, and that both effects are proportional with a daily ceiling -  Talk like "With factor x you can stay x times longer in the sun", talk about Minimum Effective dose, maximum limit per day (But that is perhaps more for short term problems?)

How does this change if you take supplements to limit damage from the sun?  (Are the positive effects also decreased?)

(*)In my case, I only have exposure  in short periods every year.  There will be periods without any protection from sunscreen, so for me it makes sense to build natural protection, for example by using a low factor cream.  Also high factor creams must have some negative tradeoffs with regards to durability and negative affects from the cream itself.  Both these points make less sense if daily dose is more important than intensity.

Hi! I'm just chiming in without really having any expertise on this. Intuitively it seems to me that a longer exposure with low intensity (a little clouded or early or late in the day) is better than short and intense.

If you look at the sun as bombardment of tiny balls, then really high energy balls will do more damage, ie. knocking out DNA parts etc. While if your exposed to bombardment that is mostly below threshhold of damage then you will get the benefits without the damage. This matches up with experience, when I'm exposed to really intense sun I get more freckles sun burns etc.

So in practice just avoid really intense sun in the summer in the middle of the day and go without a shirt when the sun is less intense.

Just my attempt at common sense without much deep knowledge about this.

Tanning a lot might make you look good and feel fresh short term, but in the long term it does give you wrinkles and aging skin.

•  

>If you look at the sun as bombardment of tiny balls, then really high energy balls will do more damage, ie. knocking out DNA parts etc.

High intensity is "more balls", not more "high energy balls".  (And you should expect DNA changes to be proportional to intensity).

While if your exposed to bombardment that is mostly below threshhold of damage then you will get the benefits without the damage.

>At least its not like low intensity doesn't cause changes because it is less  "high energy balls".

>Tanning a lot might make you look good and feel fresh short term, but in the long term it does give you wrinkles and aging skin.

It also gives some protections

• This has been discussed a few times in the past, search for astaxanthin as a keyword.

• I only see the tread "How to get a tan" - its a similar question, but no relevant answers.

There are many supplements that give color and increase protection, but I think thats another question,

unless it affects the balance between positive and negative effects from the radiation (IS different from just a higher factor).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file