Car Sickness

What are your best tips to prevent car (or other kind of motion) sickness?

There are different theories about what causes this nausea. One suggests the eyes view motion while riding in the moving vehicle while other body sensors sense stillness, creating conflict between the eyes and inner ear. Another suggests the eyes mostly see the interior of the car which is motionless while the vestibular system of the inner ear senses motion as the vehicle goes around corners or over hills and even small bumps. Therefore the effect is worse when looking down but may be lessened by looking outside of the vehicle.

So one should either look out of the window (doesn't work for me, I get sick), or just look at the inside of the car (but people often get sick when they read something so this one doesn't seem to work either).

One of the vitamin Bs is supposed to allievate nausea, so maybe taking a B complex would be useful.

Also consuming ginger, and smelling / tasting lemon and peppermint. I've just read about this stuff, haven't tried them yet.

What other tips have worked for you?

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

This is a good question. I've always suffered from motion sickness in cars. I can drive with no problem, but if I'm a passenger on a long-ish car ride, I get a little ill. I've also never been able to read in a moving car. Makes me sick. I was always so buttmad as a kid that I couldn't play my GameBoy in the car like the other kids did because it made me ill. If there's a hack for this, I'd love to know about it. Playing Pokemon Red in the back seat while my wife chauffeurs me around is near the top of my bucket list.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• One of the biggest problems that they are having with Oculus is people getting nauseated from the VR headset.  If we could come up with a stack that would work, it would be easy to monetize.

• I don't know why it happens, but taking a ginger supplement helps me tremendously. I've always had awful motion sickness. Can't ride in the backseat at all, sometimes the front is a problem too, and forget about boats. If I take the ginger though, no problems at all. I wish I'd known about it when I was a kid!

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

I have developed motion sickness over the years too. Always had it but it got worse over the years.

From what I know you will not get over it but you will get used to the motion over time by "practicing" regularly. That's what army helicopter pilots do who experience it. They practice and get used to the motion and then they don't have it anymore but I guess they will unlearn it again if you don't train it.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training