Protein Denaturing/sous Vide/roasts

Hi everybody,

What's the deal with protein denaturing and cooking a larger roast cut-of-meat? I have a fair bit of grass-fed roasts on hand and I've tried the low,slow, quick method to minimize protein denaturing and HCA's etc.. but it came out absolutely tough and awful. -- I've also cooked low/slow/super long and had briskets etc. that came out unbelievable. I know Dave's recommendation is quick IF cooked at all, so my question is... is there anyway to cook a roast or larger stew type cut of beef that will enable good flavor and lack of toughness without denaturing the protein? I'm a little underdeveloped in this area..

Also:

With much talk about Sous Vide being the preferred method of cooking.. has anybody nailed down a plastic/BPA free option? -- Or would halogen oven still be the best move?

Comments

• zero33zero33 Thinks plants have feelings.
    I prefer sous vide - the results are unparalleled. As long as you don't use cheap bags/films and keep the temps low it seems the likelihood of contamination is close to null.

Coder/Shaper who thinks this is his blog: alienvir.us

• I prefer sous vide - the results are unparalleled. As long as you don't use cheap bags/films and keep the temps low it seems the likelihood of contamination is close to null.

Any recommendations on a product?

for simplicity I chose the "sous vide supreme oven" instead of an immersion circulator. I've used their bags as well as mason jars with great results, and eggs can be cooked directly in the water.

• for simplicity I chose the "sous vide supreme oven" instead of an immersion circulator. I've used their bags as well as mason jars with great results, and eggs can be cooked directly in the water.

So what's the deal with BPA with these suckers? Just a try-not-to-worry-about-it kind of thing?

edited July 2015
    my understanding is that bpa is only in rigid plastics, and bags sold specifically for SV are made from high-density polyethylene, low-density polyethylene, and polypropylene.

glass mason jars work well as long as you pack them full or surround the food you're cooking with liquid or melted butter.