Raw Vegan For 9 Years...blood Test Results, Questions...

edited July 2015 in General Discussion

So this video is taking the vegan internet community by storm lately. It is of a rather popular figure in the raw vegan movement. She got some blood labs done and her and her also vegan doctor quickly go over them in this video.

Can anyone give another educated opinion on the contents of this video/ her blood labs? Or at least some discussion points? The doctor makes it seem like everything is perfect, but isn't HDL dangerously low? why does he brush it off? arent Triglycerides to high? isnt that a terrible combo? Can a non-vegan shed some light on what these lab values mean in a bit more detail?

Comments

• steve001steve001
    edited July 2015

7 ng/ml serum ferritin is way too low.. Healthy range lies between 20 and 80 ng/ml. Other then that she seems to be pretty healthy unless someone else wants to point something out.

• I didn't realize she cropped out her triglycerides. If I recall correctly they were like 214.
  • LDL was 60? HDL 43? and trigs are 210?! so her trig to HDL ratio is 4.88?!   "so ridiculously good that you will never get a heart attack?" . really? wellnessfx says that trigs above 200 is "high risk" and  a ratio of trigs:HDL higher than 3 is "high risk".

HDL is "just a carrier protein" and it's okay if its low if you're not eating fat?

vitamin d is only 40? isn't that kind of low?

and she's so happy! 

• I see what you mean. Ya, strange she would skip that part considering its one of the main arguments against high fructose consumption via a fruitarian diet. Not to mentioned combined with crazy low cholesterol scores.
  • Not sure about the likelihood of a heart attack, but the likelihood seems high that they wouldn't survive one with such low cholesterol.

• I'd say if you were male and had crazy low cholesterol scores like that you'd also have low testosterone scores and would have zero drive, zero ambition and useless in bed.  Hell, women too need some testosterone for sex drive, and last I heard if you have low cholesterol you have low testosterone.  Well, naturally occurring anyhow.

• s29s29
    edited July 2015

What we here see is called the PLACEBO EFFECT, from someone who's in the lights of a camera, the exitement of some lab tests with attention from a "cute" doctor. That's why she seems happy and healthy. But she's a total trainwreck in reality. She's fooling herself with acting all the time.

• I went through the pain of watching about half of the video and it seems so staged.  They pander to the vegan crowd, gloss over problems, crap on those who are not vegan, etc.  This girl seems so fake, she even has the orange skin of a fake tanner.  I doubt she is even vegan as much as I doubt that's a real doctor.

• yeah i get the impression that the whole thing is probably in response to some trolling she's received or something, just how insistent she is that "so you're saying i'm in perfect health right?! right?! c'mon doc the whole interwebs is watching!"

There are a lot of different arguments on cholesterol from people who know more than me or probably anyone on this forum....low LDL being a bad thing is debatable, low HDL being a bad thing is maybe a little less debatable, but is there anyone out there arguing that high trigs are either healthy or not indicative of something messed up? is ignoring triglycerides some hip vegan thing? 

• I went through the pain of watching about half of the video and it seems so staged.  They pander to the vegan crowd, gloss over problems, crap on those who are not vegan, etc.  This girl seems so fake, she even has the orange skin of a fake tanner.  I doubt she is even vegan as much as I doubt that's a real doctor.

She's been litterly braindead for 9 years. She doens't even get the right nutrients into her body to give her brain the proper building blocks.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I went through the pain of watching about half of the video and it seems so staged.  They pander to the vegan crowd, gloss over problems, crap on those who are not vegan, etc.  This girl seems so fake, she even has the orange skin of a fake tanner.  I doubt she is even vegan as much as I doubt that's a real doctor.

The tan good be very real given the climate she lives in. 

Needless to say her numbers aren't that great. Let's all be honest, vegan diets like these are too limiting. 

• could her extremely low cholesterol levels cause her vitamin D levels to be on the lower side of normal? given her skin tone and climate, you would think they'd be in the 100s. but 45? my vitamin D levels were 45 at the end of a Midwest winter with almost no supplements....
  • John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Her response:

For those who are asking, my triglycerides are OK. They show high but that's because eating any carbs (especially fruits after you have gone some hours without eating) makes triglycerides go up. Given my perfect cholesterol levels it is nothing to worry about. Any food that had carbs will mobilize fat. Vegans often will test high in TG but have far less risk of heart disease.

Sigh

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• Also looking into it she is 24 years old and been (allegedly) vegan for 9 years.  She is at an age where she can get away with doing just about anything to her body especially if she's got good genetics look good.  What will really be interesting is her number and what she looks like at 40 or 50.  You could also say that her thinking she has all the answers are fairly typical of someone of her age.  When I was in my 20's I thought I had it all figured out too.  She on the other hand has a niche market she is trying to maintain by hiring actors (and one real nurse I hope, who drew the blood) to corroborate her 'story'.  She does get alot of views for her youtube clips, this one got her over 600k views.  She addresses other hot issues in her youtube clips like are her breasts real, very hard hitting, academic stuff.

• she's basically already dead

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

some people who follow an idea blindly also like to close their eyes when they have the actual fact right in front of them... I assume this is related to emotional problem or something. :/

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training