Comments

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Hmm. Seems like bottles in stores, and powder packets on Upgraded Self. Reasonable pricing too. Cool. 

Also, it seems like it's a colloidal solution... will there be a later version infused with Unfair Advantage?

Can I put FATwater powder in a Skinnygirl® cocktail for irony and faster absorption?

• edited July 2015

I saw this at one of our vendor's food shows I went to last month.  Got me a couple free sample bottles of the brain octane oil, of course its all gone now.

• I wouldn't thought it would in a BPA free bottle?
  • I've had this They were doing tastings at a local store. The berry one is the best. Tastes really good, and I've bought a few. In the store this retailed over 3 bucks for a 16-oz bottle, but smart to have when you want something tasty and don't want to prepare anything or go out of ketosis.
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I've had this They were doing tastings at a local store. The berry one is the best. Tastes really good, and I've bought a few. In the store this retailed over 3 bucks for a 16-oz bottle, but smart to have when you want something tasty and don't want to prepare anything or go out of ketosis.

That sounds like a good Bacillus-free replacement for kombucha with a similar price by volume. Have you noticed increased hydration or anything? It seems like any "boost" from the product would have to come from hydration, since a normal dose of MCT is ~7x more fat than what's in a bottle of FATwater. 

I'd love to know the exact mechanics of how the oil increases absorption of the water that surrounds it. 

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Right, that's why I was wondering about the hydration mechanics... from the article in the first post in this thread:

"Your body likes Bulletproof XCT oil more than water as it is fuel," responded Asprey. "When they're together, the body soaks up water more quickly than it normally would. FATwater provides a pick-me-up that comes from actually being hydrated, and it's a noticeable difference."

• ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

I doubt that's the scientific reasoning. Dave is the same guy that came up with attaching lactoferrin to liposomes, after all. And the delivery method in Unfair Advantage clearly works, as I notice it in minutes. 

On the other hand, my understanding is that the cells lining the gut are quite good at cherry-picking which molecules to absorb, and it's not like the H2O is bound to the fat. 

I'm sure there will be a podcast or something... 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

I might talk about it soon. All I can say is replace electrolytes (which actually serve a purpose when it comes to hydration) with fat in this video:

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

I do too, but that's what happens when you release something before the info, instead of it being exciting it becomes damage control.

Pretty much the same conclusion I reached in the Bulletproofâ„¢ Upgradedâ„¢ H2O thread I started to discus the newsletter teaser that hardly anyone actually received. 

I am also confused by comparing MCTs as fuel to water as fuel...does Dave mean your body tries to use water as a source of caloric energy and replacing that water with MCTs is his good idea? I might be a bit behind on my water-science.

• What I really don't get is that the FAQ says it has 2 tsp of XCT but only has 30 cal.  If I do the math right (2 / 3 * 130) it should have 87 cals.  I know I'm from Alabama, but the math doesn't add up.

I do like that in the article referenced above that Dave says it tastes wetter and the body likes it more.  Made me laugh.

• What I really don't get is that the FAQ says it has 2 tsp of XCT but only has 30 cal.  If I do the math right (2 / 3 * 130) it should have 87 cals.  I know I'm from Alabama, but the math doesn't add up.

I do like that in the article referenced above that Dave says it tastes wetter and the body likes it more.  Made me laugh.

"I know I'm from Alabama, but the math doesn't add up."  Frank! You are awesome. 

• Daves gonna make millions on this one. Fuckin noobs.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I might talk about it soon. All I can say is replace electrolytes (which actually serve a purpose when it comes to hydration) with fat in this video:

I was thinking the same, it looks like fat is the new miracle cure for everything now. But hopefully they will release some more info about why this should be the case.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

What I really don't get is that the FAQ says it has 2 tsp of XCT but only has 30 cal.  If I do the math right (2 / 3 * 130) it should have 87 cals.  I know I'm from Alabama, but the math doesn't add up.

Wet drinks are gonna be the next big thing.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I'll wait to hear about why this is The Thing to Drinkâ„¢, but my first thought is "Do I really need to sneak more fat/MCT into my diet?" Like, does everything we consume have to be laden with fat? First it invades our coffee... now our water, too? I dunno, feels like overkill to me, but if there are actual benefits to it, I might be game. It's not hideously expensive, which is a plus.

Maybe I'm just a party-pooper because I'm no longer in the "I need to eat fat all the time and be in ketosis 24/7" camp. The branding is nifty. The name is interesting. Personally I'd have opted for Phat Waterâ„¢, but that's just my preference.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Maybe I'll throw some MCT and spring water in my Vitamix and make my own fat water!
  • steve001steve001
    edited July 2015

Not exactly the same. Blending fats, I believe, damages them. 

Yeah you right, blending butter in bulletproof coffee damages the fats. Buts its ok because the antioxidants in coffee reverse engineers the damages so theres no need to worry.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I'll wait to hear about why this is The Thing to Drinkâ„¢, but my first thought is "Do I really need to sneak more fat/MCT into my diet?" Like, does everything we consume have to be laden with fat? First it invades our coffee... now our water, too? I dunno, feels like overkill to me, but if there are actual benefits to it, I might be game. It's not hideously expensive, which is a plus.

Maybe I'm just a party-pooper because I'm no longer in the "I need to eat fat all the time and be in ketosis 24/7" camp. The branding is nifty. The name is interesting. Personally I'd have opted for Phat Waterâ„¢, but that's just my preference.

Wow. I thought it was only me. I already had to seriously cut back on my fat intake but I thought most people here get away with a lot of fat.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• You seem upset.

No I was just calling the people noobs who are going are actually going to dish out 100s of dollars for this pointless product. If you want hydration DRINK WATER. There was never a hydration problem in the first place.

• Uh, I don't think Dave ever said that water isn't adequate for hydration. 

This product just seems like a gimmick. I bet if you just take some MCT oil with water you'll get the same exact effects as this water. Dave never post his sources about the proof of his water hydration hypothesis.

• steve001steve001
    edited July 2015

Um, okay. Cool. So you're paying for convenience. Don't see anything wrong with that. People buy bottles of Arrowhead and Aquafina water at stores (shit you can get at home) because of convenience. 

Ok if this is found in 7 11 that is convenience, but i dont think its too convienent to have this shipped to you when dave wont share the science about this product. Well I think i really know whats going on here, is the mct oil market is getting larger and threatening to dave business, so hes going to need to staple on "MCT fusions". So edge on other companies. Its just marketing.

• Derp. He's selling this at Erewhon, a tangible store; not everyone needs to have them shipped. And I don't see anything inconvenient about getting things shipped to you. I do most of my shopping online.

Noob.

Derp. He's selling this at Erewhon, a tangible store; not everyone needs to have them shipped. And I don't see anything inconvenient about getting things shipped to you. I do most of my shopping online.

A quick search shows that Erewhon has only two brick-and-mortar locations. Everyone who does not live within reasonable distance of Los Angeles or Calabasas will need to have this product shipped in packet form, and will not be able to readily purchase the bottled product made with Dave's specially purified water.

The obvious issue here is the requirement to purchase an entire case of this product without knowing the science behind the claims, and pay shipping on top of that, just to try it out. Now, I see this as an inevitable side effect of purchasing products marketed online as 'high performance', so I generally prefer the products which cite their research beforehand and provide clear hyperlinks. This is a rather frustrating gamble and lots of shipping costs to eat if you like trying out new products (as anyone who has difficulty fitting shoes will find out when they try to get into minimalist or zero-drop footwear) and makes me wish that Dave would hurry up and launch his line of travel/trial sized items! Then you could try everything out without breaking the bank, and if you don't like it easily give it away as a gift.

Aside from all that, does anyone have a link to an in-depth explanation of Upgraded Self's water purification system? I'd love to find out what they are using, that is some tech we could really sink our teeth into and would make up for the claim of 'Upgrading' H2O!

Yeah, and I happen to live close to one of the Erewhon locations. Lots of BPers live in the Greater Los Angeles Area, as well.

Lots of BPers also live outside California. Thus they will have shipping concerns that you will not have.

Cool. I was addressing the point steve made about how everyone buying this stuff is a "noob" because they're paying outrageous shipping prices. In reality, that is not the case, seeing as how there are many BPers who can make the short trek to Erewhon. 

Protip: you can always buy enough stuff on the Upgraded site to qualify for free shipping. 

I'm not going to buy the Fat Water online until I need to re-up on the coffee, glutathione, and Unfair Advantage. 

That wasn't his only point. Aside from the obvious trolling with the 'noob' comment, he did point out that this is mostly marketing hype at the moment, which is what we are all actually discussing on this thread. The science behind it has not been cited to us yet. As far as these stores go, the reality is that those two stores do not negate everyone else's shipping costs. I feel confident in saying that most BPers do not live near those two stores, despite Cali's high population density.

Protip: Not everyone can throw down $135 any time they want to purchase something online. Amazon is retooling its free-shipping standard because the $35 was too annoying for most people buying small items.

He said that Fat Water is the same thing as mixing MCT oil with water -- to which I responded by saying that, even if they were the case (I don't think the product is merely so, but I will roll with it for the sake of the argument), people would be paying for convenience by buying the bottles/packets (the same way people pay for convenience when they buy bottled water). 

I think his point (again ignoring the trolling aspect) was that taking MCT oil along with water would probably produce the same effect, unless some kind of not-yet-revealed magic was happening with the exact method of mixture between the two. I think that is a more interesting point to pursue than the logistics of buying things on Bulletproof. So, any ideas on why mixing the two in this special way would do anything differently than taking 2tsp of MCT oil along with a tall glass of your favorite pure clear H2O?

• Not exactly the same. Blending fats, I believe, damages them.

the fat water is cloudy so it must be emulsified or "mixed".
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I don't want to jump the gun and bash this before I really hear what the fuss is all about. I just hope that the hype behind this doesn't end up being like UA, where it was marketed as being some "Whole body nootropic" and ended up being "a pretty OK supplement that a lot of people like, but advertised as something more impressive." Well-purified water is cool, but we can get that elsewhere. MCTs are great, but again, we can (and often do) get those elsewhere on a daily basis. And yeah, I still consume a lot of fat, but sneaking some extra MCTs into my water sounds gratuitous unless there's some hitherto unnamed benefit to doing so. Which there very well may be. I just can't guess for the life of me what it is.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

assuming a 'serve' = one bottle of FATwater, then going by the article linked by the OP;

FATwater-launched-by-Bulletproof-CEO-for-extreme-hydration

One serve (one bottle?) contains 20 calories and two (2) grams of fat

fake it till you make it

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

What I really don't get is that the FAQ says it has 2 tsp of XCT but only has 30 cal.  If I do the math right (2 / 3 * 130) it should have 87 cals.  I know I'm from Alabama, but the math doesn't add up.

my guess for the FATwater concentrate FAQ, is that the 'approximately 2 teaspoons', should read 'approximately 3 grams'...yeah i know, totally different right, will have to wait & see what it turns out to be. 

fake it till you make it