I Am Thinking About Quitting Calcium-D-Glucarate

edited July 2015 in General Discussion

Since 1 year I am taking 1500 mg Calcium D-Glucarate a day (recently reduced to 1000 mg to save money as the stuff is expensive). I am thinking about quitting it completely. 

Dave claims that "it can fight cancer, decrease LDL cholesterol, assist in protein digestion,

and remove toxins and excess estrogen". However http://examine.com/supplements/Calcium-D-Glucarate/ shows that I would need at least 7000 mg of the stuff to get the anti-cancer benefits, and I am already spending 25 USD a month on CDG, there is no way I am gonna spend 200 bucks a month for this "cancer insurance". So if I am not getting the benefits because dose is too small, then I am wasting 25 USD a month, right?

Furthermore on http://examine.com/supplements/Calcium-D-Glucarate/ we read that "all steroid hormones in the body (testosterone, estrogen, Serum DHEA, etc.) are also glucuronidated. If using an oral dose that reduces the toxin, these hormones will also all be reduced for a short time." and "Using calcium-D-glucarate as a daily preventative supplement does not appear to be a prudent idea, due to its lack of reliability even in theory and high doses used."

So it not only reduces estrogen, but testosterone too? Mine is already low, and I thought CDG will help me raise it. Anyway the reduction of estrogen was in a study on rats, and the reduction was only 23% anyway, with a huge dose of CDG, equivalent to 78 grams in a human. 2000 USD a month on CDG anyone? ;)

Is there any proven benefit to taking 1000 mg a month (so much I can afford), and where is the proof that I am not just producing expensive piss?

Comments

• I think Dave is overrating calcium-d, because he has one kidney. If you have two kidneys you don't perse need it at all.

"it can fight cancer, decrease LDL cholesterol, assist in protein digestion, and remove toxins and excess estrogen".

Iodoral does a better job for the money ;)

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

I think Dave is overrating calcium-d, because he has one kidney. 

Really? Never knew that.

• I'm quitting because my calcium is low despite being on Lufe Extention' CDG for a year.

Although the product might be fine - my low calcium could be because of all the salt in drinking - which I'd love feedback on, actually! If you have any thoughts:

http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/16272-calcium-and-salt/#entry128030
  • @mmejoanna: The point of Calcium D-Glucarate is NOT for calcium absorption. Don't think about it as a source of calcium, its a source of D-glucaric acid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccharic_acid

If you just want calcium, just eat sardines with bones. 

• Really? I thought it was, and that those other benefits were side benefits? You sure?
  • ACH85ACH85 ✭✭

Really? I thought it was, and that those other benefits were side benefits? You sure?

I don't know for sure, but increasing calcium status is not mentioned in Dave's calcium d-glucarate article, and I've never heard him mention it on podcasts when talking about CDG. If it does significantly impact calcium status, I'd think he would mention that, since most of us want to avoid supplementing with calcium, or he'd tell us to take K2 with it or something like that.  

• I think Dave is overrating calcium-d, because he has one kidney. If you have two kidneys you don't perse need it at all.

Iodoral does a better job for the money ;)

My question was not if I need it, but does it have the Dave-claimed benefits at all at a 1000 mg/day dose?

I think I am gonna get a lab test of blood serum estradiol the day I take the last pill of my current stock, then quit it for a year, and take another estradiol measurement then, and see if its up. Any other ideas about how to measure its effectiveness on me? Measuring levels of some other toxins after a year on CDG, and after a year off? If there will be several toxins which levels are up after a year off, that would be significant proof that its worth to take it, no?

• Omega T,

Did you ever get your estrogen levels checked after some long term CDG use? I'd love to hear what the results were.

I was also thinking to try it but im put off by the examine.com info.

Thanks!