Prime Your Body With Protein?

As one of the Top 5 Sleep Hacks, "Prime your body with protein", it is a bit confusing. Since I am suppose to prime my body with protein but animal protein is not digested well before bed and can disrupt my sleep, should I not eat.. meat.. at dinner? Should I only have collagen because that doesn't seem that practical. I understand the collagen as a supplement before going to bed but should I worry about my meat consumption at dinner effecting my sleep? I don't get it. Please help. Need to avoid any potential sleep disruptions at all costs.

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Bull of HeavenBull of Heaven ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

Since you didn't link to what you are talking about I'm going to guess that you are referring to Dave Asprey's recommendation to have a tablespoon of his collagen or whey protein before bed. Firstly, a tablespoon of either of those proteins amounts to 5-10 grams of protein which is almost nothing in the large scheme of things. Secondly, his collagen and whey are designed to be easily digested. So a small amount of easily digestable protein shouldn't be too stressing on your body's metabolic function and should provide a little bit of repair support. 

I don't know how familiar you are with Dave's material and I have not been listening to the new BP podcasts. At one time Dave really stressed the importance of becoming a 'bio hacker' and becoming more biologically or physiologically aware. You suggest that you personally or that you have heard that animal protein is not digested well before bed. Test this hypothesis. Maybe eating a steak right before bed disrupts your sleep? Maybe a tablespoon of protein powder will disrupt your sleep? Who knows, but it is worth it to find out. I find that for me personally my sleep may improve with a little whey or collagen before bed especially on work out days or IF days. 

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• If you're talking about this artcle: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-top-6-ways-to-improve-your-sleep-using-food/He says that most protein powders animal proteins are not good RIGHT before sleep.  You can eat your meal at dinner time, but just don't eat it so its RIGHT before sleep.  I usually eat dinner at 6-7 pm and am in bed by 10:30 or so and don't usually zonk out until 11.  By the time 10:30 comes around my stomach is fairly empty feeling so a scoop of collagen knocks me right out.  I used to do honey before sleep with MCT Oil, but found collagen to be much more effective.

• Since you didn't link to what you are talking about I'm going to guess that you are referring to Dave Asprey's recommendation to have a tablespoon of his collagen or whey protein before bed. Firstly, a tablespoon of either of those proteins amounts to 5-10 grams of protein which is almost nothing in the large scheme of things. Secondly, his collagen and whey are designed to be easily digested. So a small amount of easily digestable protein shouldn't be too stressing on your body's metabolic function and should provide a little bit of repair support. 

I don't know how familiar you are with Dave's material and I have not been listening to the new BP podcasts. At one time Dave really stressed the importance of becoming a 'bio hacker' and becoming more biologically or physiologically aware. You suggest that you personally or that you have heard that animal protein is not digested well before bed. Test this hypothesis. Maybe eating a steak right before bed disrupts your sleep? Maybe a tablespoon of protein powder will disrupt your sleep? Who knows, but it is worth it to find out. I find that for me personally my sleep may improve with a little whey or collagen before bed especially on work out days or IF days. 

@Bull of Heaven, thanks a lot for the response. Sorry I didn't post the link but yea it was a post by Dave describing the best 6 sleep hacks using food. In the book as well which I just finished. I just wanted to clear up this issue that confused me since I'm pretty new to the diet. Before I start "hacking" this diet I want to give the program a full go and have a complete understanding before I start making my own adjustments otherwise I wouldn't have an ground for adjusting in the first place. Hacked my allergies and asthma before I even knew the term. Thank your for your insight.

If you're talking about this artcle: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-top-6-ways-to-improve-your-sleep-using-food/He says that most protein powders animal proteins are not good RIGHT before sleep.  You can eat your meal at dinner time, but just don't eat it so its RIGHT before sleep.  I usually eat dinner at 6-7 pm and am in bed by 10:30 or so and don't usually zonk out until 11.  By the time 10:30 comes around my stomach is fairly empty feeling so a scoop of collagen knocks me right out.  I used to do honey before sleep with MCT Oil, but found collagen to be much more effective.

Thanks for the reply. Yea I think he just left out the word "right" when explaining it in the article so I had some confusion. But I'm sure that's what he means. Thanks for your insight and describing your personal experience. I'm two days into doing raw honey before bed, no results yet, still waking up really early and struggling for a couple of hours, maybe 3, before daylight. Gonna stick it out for a week then test out the collagen if I'm not seeing any results. Much appreciated, to both of you.