Eating Non-Bulletproof Foods Is A Job Requirement. Help & Hacks Wanted

Hey Bulletproof Community,

I just got back from a month of field work in the Andes Mountains of Ecuador.  It was my first time working as an Anthropologist.  I was doing documentary work and research on culture. One of the best ways to learn about culture is to immerse yourself.  That means doing as they do and usually, eating as they eat.  I ate the food that my host family prepared for me.

For the last thirty days my diet has consisted of corn, bread, rice, fruit, and cheese.  I also ate lots of items containing sugar. Most of the fruit and veg available were locally and organically grown.  

I brought Unfair Advantage, Coconut Charcoal, and Vanilla Collagen Bars (those ran out really quickly).  All of these items were helpful but I experienced a lot of brain fog during the trip.       

I'm looking for health and brain hacks that will be easy to accomplish the field (and won't compromise my ability to participate in the daily life of the people I am learning about), and restoring protocols for when I return home.    

I love my job and I want to feel job while doing it!

Thank you so much for your thoughts and Ideas.  

Ciao!

Comments

• Brain fog could be different things. Could be your gluten sensitive, or it could be your just eating primarily carbs and not enough protein for its metabolic effects, and for the amino acids. To avoid gluten, I just tell people I am celiac even though I havent been tested for it. But I know I am probably celiac because the TERRIBLE effects gluten gives me. You could be sensitive to corn but its probably not going to be as bad as gluten. Fruit and sugar is not THAT bad if you can get good protein sources to eat with them that should help reverse brain fog. Sugar diets without any fat and protein probably causes brain fog.

• From what I'm told, traditionally prepared grains and crops aren't supposed to be as damaging as the ones that are processed in a modern fashion. However, you could still have reactions to the allergens in those items due to your history in the modern world. There's not much to be done about that, since there aren't any well-known or well-tested protocols for rehabilitating that stuff. I've heard whispers, but nothing concrete.

You mention no meat or organs. I would fix that, pronto. Maybe sardines?

Finally, like Steve said, brain fog has a lot of causes. You should definitely dig into Joe Cohen's resources on that in order to figure out what else might be causing it.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• Word of the day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization

(From a completely unrelated thread on FB)

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• edited July 2015

You mention no meat or organs. I would fix that, pronto. Maybe sardines?

Thanks for the information and suggestions. 

I did forget to mention that I was eating about one serving each of the following per week: cuy (guinea pig), cow (various parts), and chicken.  I also got eggs a few times a week.

• whoops.  Used the account liked to my Facebook account to reply to the last one.  I didn't want to do that.  Anyone know how to delete your own posts?  haha.  Anyway...

Brain fog could be different things. Could be your gluten sensitive, or it could be your just eating primarily carbs and not enough protein for its metabolic effects, and for the amino acids. To avoid gluten, I just tell people I am celiac even though I havent been tested for it. But I know I am probably celiac because the TERRIBLE effects gluten gives me. You could be sensitive to corn but its probably not going to be as bad as gluten. Fruit and sugar is not THAT bad if you can get good protein sources to eat with them that should help reverse brain fog. Sugar diets without any fat and protein probably causes brain fog.

I was doing all of the following...

• eating primarily carbs and not enough protein
    • consuming gluten (in various forms)
    • eating lots of sugar with no fat or protein

I think you hit the nail(s) on the head.  It's been about four days since I got back on my Bulletproof diet.  Any ideas on how to speed up the restoration process?

•  Any ideas on how to speed up the restoration process?

A blunt answer is "No".

The best way to get a good answer is to ask a thoughtful, precise question.

Exactly what part about being Bulletproof are you trying to speed up?

• Always use high dosaged iodine/iodide (Iodoral 6.25mg) and Selenium 200mcg for mental sharpness and optimal thyroid function. For more info: http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/16179-im-slow-and-mentally-not-physically-tired-quickly-what-can-be-the-reason-and-any-remedies-hacks/