Confused About When To Take My Zinc, On Empty Stomach?

I am taking 20 mg Opti-Zinc (monomethionine) from Life Extension Only Trace Minerals (which also has 2mg copper, 2mg manganese, 400 Âµg chromium, 250 µg molybdenum, 3 mg boron and 750 µg vanadium.

And besides that I am gonna to take two 15 mg Thorne Zinc Picolinate capsules a day, for a total of 50 mg supplemental zinc. I take one of them already, will introduce the second one next week.

I take the Opti-Zinc with my main big meal in the afternoon, and I am confused when its best to insert the picolinates?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/zinc-supplement-oral-route-parenteral-route/proper-use/drg-20070269

"Zinc supplements are most effective if they are taken at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals."

However it is often reported on forums when people get severely upset stomach, nausea, and other unpleasant side-effects when they take zinc on empty stomach.

Even John Brisson writes on http://fixyourgut.com/the-magic-bullet-supplement-for-stomach-issues-zinc-carnosine/ that "Zinc binds quickly to stomach tissue if taken on an empty stomach. If you take a zinc supplement on an empty stomach, it causes severe stomach pain and gastritis." And http://fixyourgut.com/the-magic-bullet-supplement-for-stomach-issues-zinc-carnosine/#comment-121551 "[...] all other forms of zinc should be taken with food to prevent stomach pain."

I took the 15 mg zinc-as-picolinate for 2 days now 1 hour before dinner (together with 135 mg magnesium as combined Thorne citrate-malate), and nothing happened.

So can I take my 15 mg zinc-as-picolinate 1 hour before dinner, and then another 15 mg two hours after dinner, or is there a better way to take it? Keep in mind there is also the 20 mg zinc monomethionine from Only Trace in the middle of dinner.

I am also taking 350 mg magnesium from CALM just after wake-up on empty stomach, 30 minutes before Bulletproof Coffee, and another 300 mg magnesium glycinate with food at supper, and I plan to add another 400mg magnesium during dinner form Trace Mineral Research concentrated Great Salt Lake solution, for a total of 1185 mg supplemental magnesium per day, for 3 months and then measure my magnesium levels. I am already taking 785 mg magnesium, and I do not have any loose stools (I had one first day I took citramate, now its OK).

So please brainstorm, share whatever reliable knowledge you have. Zinc away from food or with food? Should I space out zinc and magnesium so they don't fight for absorption? Anyway I take magnesium at every meal, so its not so easy. But I could move the magnesium citramate somewhere else (where?) if its would fight for absorption with the zinc.

Comments

• jcg3jcg3 ✭✭✭

It doesn't seem to matter for me whether to take zinc with meals or not... no stomach pains either way.

I think it's a fair warning though, that if you have stomach pain when taking zinc on an empty stomach that you should take it with meals.

There seems to be a lot of inconsistencies with regard to recommendations for taking stuff with meals or on an empty stomach. Often times there are competing goals too - X might be absorbed best on an empty stomach, but causes less negative side-effects when consumed with meals.

Or lower stomach acid might be more helpful for absorption, in which case some people think that means with meals... unless you take betaine with your meals, in which case no one really seems to factor that in.

When I run into inconsistent advice for something like this, I'll usually split the difference. Take one dose (or a half dose) per day on an empty stomach, take another with a meal. See if you notice any difference in how you feel after either one... if you don't notice anything, do whatever is most convenient and most likely to allow you to be consistent.

And/or ask your doctor/nutritionist, or whoever is suggesting that much zinc and magnesium.

• suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    I don't think 15mg is that significant, unless you have a sensitive stomach. I personally do feel a bit queasy sometimes if I take 30mg on an empty stomach (particularly post workout). But never felt stomach pains.

Do you have a clear reason why you are going to take so much zinc and mag?

You are looking for an ideal schedule, bet there is no such thing. Do not do this as if it's written in stone. Even if nutrients compete, that does not mean that they won't be absorbed - it's just not that simplistic. Overall food volume/deficiencies - many things could influence that. Under normal circumstances just get it in where it makes sense and be done with it. It is not a game changer unless you are deficient (proven with lab numbers). Then you need to strategic more, otherwise the ROI is not there.