A Warning To Those That Take Life Extension's Two Per Day Multivitamin

I'm in the process of testing all of my supplements for trace amounts of gluten including those that I actively take and those that I've taken in the past. Today I had a surprising result - Life Extension's Two Per Day multivitamin tested positive for gluten in excess of 10 ppm. I actually tested it twice and the results were more clearly "high positive" the first time. Very disappointing. I plan on doing a full post on my website with more results but I need to order more test kits first.

Anyway, here's a picture of the second results.

https://i.imgur.com/6UAgn39.jpg

My personal blog : healthbydiet.net

Comments

• Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015

Great thread!  Did you have a hunch, did you have symptoms, or what made you start with LE's multi?  Also, What other supplements are you planning on testing?  

• edited July 2015

Great thread!  What other supplements are you testing?

Eventually everything that I have including various medications. Other things I've tested so far:

Sun Pharma Modalert (Modafinil) - Negative

Cipla Metfor (Metformin) - Negative

Jumex Selegiline - Negative

Renew Life Ultimate Flora Critical Care - Negative

Life Extension Tri Sugar Shield - Positive

• Great thread!  Did you have a hunch, did you have symptoms, or what made you start with LE's multi?  Also, What other supplements are you planning on testing?  

Some recent bloodwork that I had done strongly suggested that I was still being exposed to gluten despite eating every meal at home for the past several months. Then, after this article came out, I realized that it must be one of my supplements. I started with medications first figuring they would be the most likely culprit (even though I don't use them regularly). The LEF multi was next in line because I take it daily.

• Uh oh, another positive result from Life Extension. This time for their "Tri Sugar Shield" product. That's all for now. I should have additional kits in a week.

• Interesting! I'd be curious to see testing with probiotics. Apparently a lot of them have trace amounts as well.

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

:O What about the super k from live extension???

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• :o What about the super k from live extension???

I swapped out that product for a cheaper alternative through Vitacost some time ago, so I won't be able to test that.

• Who wants to start a Class Action lawsuit? 

Unfortunately, there's nothing on the label that claims the product is gluten free. 

• This is the blog post that I will update as new results are available:

http://healthbydiet.net/blog/2015/7/29/gluten-in-supplements-and-medications

• Received more test kits today.

New results:

Thorne Basic Nutrients 2/Day

Result: Positive (tested twice)

Designs for Health Complete Multi

Life Extension Decaffeinated Mega Green Tea Extract

Result: Inconclusive - likely negative

Prescript Assist

Results: Negative

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Inconclusive? Please redo the test for the green tea extract. I just ordered it again because this stuff helps me a lot with gut inflammation! Do it again! :P

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Inconclusive? Please redo the test for the green tea extract. I just ordered it again because this stuff helps me a lot with gut inflammation! Do it again! :P

I actually tested it twice. The problem with this particular supplement is the powder is so fine that even after the extraction period, the remaining top solution is thick enough that it clogs the pipette of the test strip. However, in both cases, two very faint lines in the locations representing a negative result were (barely) visible under bright light, which is why I think the result is probably negative. At ~$13 a test, I probably won't test it a third time. 

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Received more test kits today.

New results:

Thorne Basic Nutrients 2/Day

Designs for Health Complete Multi

Life Extension Decaffeinated Mega Green Tea Extract

Result: Inconclusive - likely negative

Prescript Assist

Results: Negative

That sucks on the Thorne 2xday. Going to get some strips and test myself soon. If the same conclusion is made, I am going to stop recommending it and contact Thorne.

Good work HBD.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

This explains a lot. It always seemed to upset my stomach when I took it with my lunch-time sandwich. Now I know why.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

This explains a lot. It always seemed to upset my stomach when I took it with my lunch-time sandwich. Now I know why.

Gluten free samwich?

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• That sucks on the Thorne 2xday. Going to get some strips and test myself soon. If the same conclusion is made, I am going to stop recommending it and contact Thorne.

Good work HBD.

Here's the thing. Every single multivitamin I've tested so far has tested positive. Unlike the LEF Two Per Day multi, both the DFH and the Thorne multi label their products as being gluten free. So, either these products really do contain gluten or I'm getting false positives (via cross reaction?). There's no mention of false positives in the test instructions or the FAQ on their website so I've reached out to the test manufacturer for a list of known substances that could generate a false positive. 

I'm also saving my last kit from this order to test Klaire Labs VitaSpectrum, which should arrive in a couple days. They're very adamant about their products being free of all common allergens, including gluten. If this also tests positive, I will probably try a different test kit for everything that has tested positive so far. 

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Gluten free samwich?

Lol, I was kidding.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• I have Life Extension's TMG.  Wonder if that has gluten in it

• I would venture to guess one of the vitamins is recording a false positive since all the multis are popping.

• I received Klaire Labs VitaSpectrum (no iron, no copper, capsules) today and used my last test on it. 

Result: negative

• edited October 2015

New results:

Jarrow PQQ (20 mg)

Test date: 10/24/2015

Result: Negative

Vitacost CoQ10 (100 mg)

Solaray Magnesium Glycinate

Full list here:

http://healthbydiet.net/post/7/Gluten_in_Supplements_and_Medications

• edited October 2015

Three more results from yesterday:

Vitacost Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)

Test date: 10/25/2015

Result: Positive | Positive (tested twice)

Bulletproof Collagen Protein

Advanced Orthomelecular Research Probiotic 3

• Attached is a certificate of analysis from an independent professional lab showing the gluten content (or lack there of) in both LE Two-Per-Day capsules and tablets to be undetectable. The results say <5 ppm, meaning that the lab cannot detect gluten lower than the miniscule amount of 5ppm, and the multivitamins contained less than that, likely zero.

• @shantir said:
    Attached is a certificate of analysis from an independent professional lab showing the gluten content (or lack there of) in both LE Two-Per-Day capsules and tablets to be undetectable. The results say <5 ppm, meaning that the lab cannot detect gluten lower than the miniscule amount of 5ppm, and the multivitamins contained less than that, likely zero.

The last time I tested this product was nearly two years ago and they have modified the formulation at least twice since then. I was very public about the product containing gluten at the time so I wouldn't be surprised if one of those reformulations removed the gluten content.