What To Do When You Hit A Plateau?

Even though I'm a bigger fan of looking at the numbers on the measuring tape than the one on the scale, I'm getting pretty frustrated with both. It's been 7 months on the BP diet and I've only lost 10lbs and 7.75" all over (waist, hips, thighs, calves, biceps, chest). I pretty much completely stalled out about 2 months ago. I was seeing 1-2lbs loss a month and at least an inch lost. To give you an idea of my physique, I'm a 5'5" female and topped out at 188lbs. So I'm not morbidly obese or anything, but overweight enough that I knew going in that it might take longer for me to lose. From things I've read and from doctors, the recommended healthy weight for me would be 135-140lbs. So I've got quite a ways to go...

I'm currently going to the gym 2-3 days a week (weight lifting 2, cardio like Zumba or rowing for 1). I upped it 1 day over the last month, as I was only going for 2. I would say that I eat BP 90% of the time, but don't feel anything in that 10% would be something to sabotage my weight loss (a handful of gummy bears, a cookie, or something similar here and there).

So the question is, who here has had a problem with plateauing and what did you do about it? Did it work? Did you figure out what was sabotaging you? 

I just find myself getting angrier and angrier with myself... it's so frustrating not seeing any results while still putting in all the work, ya know? I'm kind of at a loss right now and just don't know what to do  :sad: Thanks in advance for the help!

-Danielle

Tagged:

Comments

• On a rest day, I have a cup of BP coffee with Brain Octane and collagen protein around 8:30am. If I'm at work (which is only 3 days a week) I have about 1/4 cup raw cashews or a Larabar about 10:30am... I usually can't make it to lunch without a handful of something. I eat lunch about Noon or 12:30pm. Lunch is usually 2 hard boiled eggs with Himalayan sea salt, a couple ounces of Krave jerky, and either a whole avocado or half a cucumber with some homemade vinaigrette OR a salad with grilled chicken and a hard boiled egg. Once every 1-2 weeks, I'll get a burrito bowl from Chipotle with white rice, steak or chicken, guacamole and lettuce. Sometimes I'll have 2 squares of 85% dark chocolate after. I eat dinner around 5:30pm. For dinner I have either baked fish, pork chop, steak, or chicken with a vegetable (steamed broccoli, cauliflower, or carrots with grass fed butter), and either jasmine rice or sweet potato. If I'm feeling hungry after dinner, I'll have a snack around 8-8:30pm. A bowl of sliced banana, almond butter, coconut flakes, coconut milk and cinnamon, some berries with coconut cream, or a couple hard boiled eggs. Lots of water, all day!

On training days (2-3 days a week) I do the same thing I do on rest days, but I eat breakfast instead of BP coffee at my usual time. 2 soft boiled or fried eggs with 2 slices gluten-free toast with grass fed butter and a cup of tea with xylitol. For whatever reason, I don't usually snack before lunch on days I'm not working (probably because I get up later). I go to the gym after dinner around 7pm: 5min arm/leg swings to warm up, 20min strength training/weight lifting, 10min cool down with leg/arm swings and dynamic stretching, and foam rolling. I drink 8oz coconut water after and am usually hungry for a snack at the usual time (same snacks as rest days).  

• steve001steve001
    edited August 2015

Sounds like you could be undershooting on the carbs. Low carb can turn on gluconeogenisis, which has a link to obesity and overweight. Another reason why low carb is not for everyone because of genetics. Try to eat carbs and protein at every meal, and eat SOME fat but dont overkill . If your eating eggs, and meat there is really no need to supplement with grassfed butter as long as your not draining out the fat in your meat. High fat diets only work if you are eating low carb which again dont work for everyone.

• Have you looked at intermittent fasting (e.g. 20 to 24 hours once per week) or periodic fasting (3 - 5 days per month)?

Both of these cut weight / bodyfat in my experience. 

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Well it could also be too much protein in one meal that kicks you out of ketosis.

I need less than 1g per kg of bofyweight for sure instead I have a handfull of berries and lots of cucumber, avocado, broccoli, cauliflower and a tomato sometimes.

I have started to like having bp coffe/tea twice a day and eat only a verya small amount for lunch. However too little protein can also be bad. I also take some amino acids in morning and evening. Just dont eat a number of eggs and some meat in one meal. make a salad of cucumber, avocado and vinegrette and toss in some boiled eggs or some fish or some meat and mayber even throw in some nuts if you can wait until lunch. When I am in keto I am clearly not hungry. All I get is low energy from not eating... Cashews are relatively high in carbs just pay attention to that. All these snacks like some nuts here and some pieces of dark chocolate there and especially these larabars in the morning are a bad idea. The seem to contain several kinds of dried fruit. Have that after a workout or maybe before if you have gone keto all week...

There is some things you could optimize here and there. Reduce your fruit intake including the bars to one serving per day. Pay attention to your protein intake. Some collagen, some eggs and some chicken might be a lot already. Especially for a small female person who does not do heavy workouts 5 times a week.

Last but not least if that all does not work you can have problems like low level inflammation or thyroid issues or sometimes just chronic stress or other underlying health issues that will make your body hold on to every little bit of fat you have.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• steve001steve001
    edited August 2015

Well it could also be too much protein in one meal that kicks you out of ketosis.

This is why I was saying eating carbs with protein turns off gluconeogenisis. I think people need to find their personal sweet spot. For every gram of protein I eat, I eat a gram of carb. I have 5 meals a day, 40 grams of protein each meal, 40 grams of carbs each meal. That comes out a total of 200 grams of protein per day 200 grams of carbs per day. You could say I am still in ketosis, I am pretty lean and have little fat on me. Most people on bulletproof diet arent even in ketosis, I think this has been confirmed. Eating fat AWAY from carbs will make you loose even more weight which I know Jason is all about timeing macronutrients. I just tend to eat carbs, fat and protein at every meal, I just dont over kill on the fat. I am having success doing it this way.

Where has it been proven that gluconeogenesis makes people fat? Actually from what I know gluconeogenesis should restore glucose levels in muscle and adrenals and blood but how does it make you fat? It is my understanding that this happens very slowly which is exactly the reason why athletes do not perform as good on keto diets (when it comes to short term high intensity stuff).

I have been dieting for 10 years or so now and I understand that everyone is different. Clearly you must be exercising several times a week with 200g net? carbs? ANd oh wow 200g protein!? That's a lot. You must be a beefcake.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Thanks for all the feedback!

@Damien: Longer periods of fasting aren't really in the cards for me, unfortunately. I am prone to lightheadedness, dizziness and migraines when going long stretches without food. Doing intermittent fasting from 9pm-Noon has been about the closest I've gotten without having a meltdown! Haha.

@DMan: Yes, I have been wondering if the fruit intake has anything to do with it. Larabars just have dates in them, and I usually eat them earlier in the day, which I know isn't recommended. Other fruits, however, I always eat after 6pm, if I eat them at all. Before starting the program, I did suspect thyroid issues but had some tests that confirmed that my thyroid is just fine. I am prone to high blood pressure (doc calls it labile, since it's fine sometimes and a bit high others). Other than that, they haven't found any other issues, cardiovascular or otherwise. I do take meds for epilepsy and birth control (the latter I am hoping to get off soon). I've been taking that for years though, and never noticed it causing weight gain. The weight gain happened slowly over the last 2 years, about 30lbs. I'm thinking my early 20's body is gone for good and my approaching-30-body may be what's causing some unwanted changes...

@Jason: Sorry bout that, didn't realize I hadn't given much detail for dinner and snack portions. Dinner, the proteins are pretty average for single servings (1 chicken breast, 1 6oz steak, 1 boneless pork chop, 1-2 fish filets). Sweet potatoes are medium in size (not sure of ounces), rice is about 1 cup, veggies about 1 cup, and each of these with 1tbsp butter. My banana bowl consists of 1 whole banana, 2tbsp almond butter, 1 cup coconut milk (So Delicious brand), 2tbsp coconut flakes. Berries & coconut cream consists of 1 cup mixed berries (strawberries, blackberries, blueberries) and 1/2 cup coconut cream. You're spot on with the protein! Even when I think I've done well, I check my macros on MyFitness Pal and I haven't gotten enough. Most often, I overshoot carbs, undershoot protein, and overshoot fat. Most commonly, my macros are about 25-30% carbs, 45-50% fat, and 15-20% protein. I have my goal set to 15% carbs, 60% fat, and 25% protein - does that seem accurate for a female?  

Any suggestions?

• steve001steve001
    edited August 2015

Where has it been proven that gluconeogenesis makes people fat? Actually from what I know gluconeogenesis should restore glucose levels in muscle and adrenals and blood but how does it make you fat? It is my understanding that this happens very slowly which is exactly the reason why athletes do not perform as good on keto diets (when it comes to short term high intensity stuff).

I have been dieting for 10 years or so now and I understand that everyone is different. Clearly you must be exercising several times a week with 200g net? carbs? ANd oh wow 200g protein!? That's a lot. You must be a beefcake.

Dude just search gluconeogenisis and obesity. Theres is links. Exercise has little to do with loosing weight if your so inclined I can snap gay photos of my abs and shit show you the amount of carbs I eat I own people who eat little carbs easy. You wont believe me though.

Nope. Not gonna do that. I did that before and came to different results than you did, obviously. In order to formulate an effektive Argument you should post your sources in order to be discussed. Read the rules.

Also I dont need to see your pics. You did not answer my questions though.

Great now you made me Google and all I see that gluconeogenesis is altered in obese Diabetes subjects which has nothing to do with what you say. Gluconeogenesis in general is not a bad thing at all.

Cluconeogenesis on it's own will make you fat how? Actually what you say seems so wrong i dont know what to say. Cluconeogenesis is important to maintain healthy blood glucos levels..

Last but not least since She already did have some results with her approach and simply hit a Plateau i would definetly not change her diet entirely but make some tweaks here and there starting with that fruit bar in the morning. I do understand that everyone has his own unique body composition though.

@dlambert find out where that lightheadedness comes from could be that you have low blood sugar problems. Especially when you eat low carb but not low carb enough you go in and out of ketosis all the time. That will also give you those cravings.

Regarding blood pressure have more potassium is what I do. Could also be a reason for the symptoms you describe. Your bp fluctuations will get stabilized with potassium. If you have what I have you bp rises in ketosis and drops on refeeds days. :) that is because your adrenals need more potassium in order to perform healthy gluconeogenesis and keep your blood sugar in Check. ;)

If you are not in keto you have to wait at least 12hrs to get in. If you have fruit in the morning And evening it will be hard to achieve that.

Dates are very sweet. Have a can of sardines in the morning. :D

How much to eat:

• @DMan: It very well could be low blood sugar causing the lightheadedness. Though, I've never been diagnosed with hypoglycemia or anything like that (they test my blood enough to know - ha!). I'm thinking a full day of fasting is just not for me. It's interesting you mention potassium... I just checked my multivitamin bottle, and it doesn't have any! I know I at least get it from sweet potatoes, bananas, salmon and avocados. I eat at least 2 sweet potatoes, 2-3 bananas, 2-4 avocados, and 1-2 servings of salmon each week. I'd be curious to see if that would make a difference for me... In the meantime, I'm going to try and kick my Larabar habit and see if that changes anything.

@Jason: It's been several months since I've actually used MFP, but I am just now resuming to try and find any patterns that might be sabotaging me. I will be sure to friend you after I have at least a week logged - thanks for offering!  :)

• Hey Jason - I tried PMing you my MyFitnessPal username, but it says you aren't receiving messages? I can't seem to find you on the website to send you a friend request.

• Now that it's been 3 months, here's a little update on my progress...

Taking Jason's recommendations, upping my calorie intake and macro ratios, increasing reps and sets in my workouts and keeping active between workout days, I've seen some progress. The first month, I lost about a pound and around 3 inches all over. Month 2, I ended up gaining a bit of that back, but my weight really hasn't changed (wasn't expecting it to with the muscle gain). Right now my measurements are slightly over what they were before I began, but I'm not sure if that's due to muscle gain or not. I do feel much stronger and can tell I've gained some muscle. However, at a glance I don't seem to have lost much fat (still have that pooch over my abdomen and the annoying saddlebags) but then again, I look at myself in the mirror every day so I guess it'd be harder for me to tell :)

If I remember correctly, now is the time to cut back on calories a bit, so I'll be starting that today. I may try doing more HIIT in place of weightlifting and see where that gets me. Time to burn some fat!

• It was my understanding that after fasting you have a meal w/ protein, fat and veggies, 2nd meal same but with some carbs, and then a carb snack, like fruit before bed. If hungry in between meals olives, celery with almond butter, small ant of dk chocolate is ok. Am I on track?
  • Need to know this also - I accidentally fasted yesterday (nothing appropriate to eat all day) until dinner. Had a salad from Panera and an apple. Not sure how to correctly do a fast and come off of it.. 

• edited November 2015

It was my understanding that after fasting you have a meal w/ protein, fat and veggies, 2nd meal same but with some carbs, and then a carb snack, like fruit before bed. If hungry in between meals olives, celery with almond butter, small ant of dk chocolate is ok. Am I on track?

Yes, you've got it :) You're right to leave the carbs closer to dinner, also. I've been getting better about eating between meals recently, but when I do need a little something, I usually go for a handful of raw cashews, carrots/celery with almond butter, some jerky... usually something with protein. If I do eat after dinner, I'll have a banana with almond butter, olives, some coconut milk with whey protein, berries if they're in season...