Back To School...where To Start?

Greetings-

There's plenty of info in this forum, but no "Start Here" thread, so I'm hoping we can make one for newbies like me. Please share your recommendations & let's discuss.

Here's my situation, I've just been hired for a new job in a new industry... Needless to say there will be A LOT of online study and testing in my future.

Since I'm not a kid anymore, my learning and retention abilities aren't what they used to be. I'm here to find out what nootropics would best help my memory and cognitive function for this purpose.

Looking forward to your input.

Cheers!

Comments

• The first thing to do is adjust your diet to eliminate toxins and maximize nutrition. Use the BP diet info-graphic and eat on the green side and eat plenty of runny egg yolks! Drinking Bulletproof coffee in the morning with MCT oil is just as powerful, if not more so, than any nootropic that I have tried. Combined with Bulletproof intermittent fasting, that would be the best place to start. Later, you can start adding some advanced drugs, but read Suntoucher's supplement guide and start with the basic stack (magnesium, D3, and iodine.) Good luck!
  • I almost forgot about the dual n-back task. There are many places on-line where you can play for free. Over time, it will improve your working memory so get in at least thirty to sixty minutes of total practice time per day.
  • mrdangermrdanger
    edited January 2013
    Thanks Jason- I'd never paid attention to mental training like dual n-back, but after looking into it, the research is very compelling. Have you tried Luminosity? It's not a dual n-back game per se, but the interface is easy to navigate and they've got some great reports (especially in the paid version). I just started the free version yesterday. So far so good.

In addition to my regular supplements (C, D, Magnesium, Iodine, etc) here's my nootropic stack (for now):
    • Acetyl-L Carnatine 500mg
    • L Glutamine 500mg
    • Creatine Monohydrate 5g
    • Piracetam 800mg

I may add Choline & Huperzine A down the road if needed. In addition, I have a prescription for Provigil, but I'll save it for days when I know I'll have 12 hours of uninterrupted study.

Side note: I see a lot of talk about Priracetam here, but no mention of HOW HARD IT IS TO BUY. Apparently Amazon banned it a while back, and most of the links provided in this forum are dead or not offering it anymore. I eventually found some from a top rated seller on eBay. Not my first choice, but what are you gonna do?
  • I play Lumosity games too, but dual n-back is probably better. Be careful with your choline supplements. The acetyl-L-carnatine should suffice. I would switch from piracetam to aniracetam but use it only after you have solidified your diet.

How is your sleep quality?
  • Sleep quality seems to be fine, although I haven't tested it yet. I take the above supplements first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Followed by BP coffee. As far as staying on the green side of the BP diet, easier said than done but I'm getting better. The hardest part for me is planning ahead for every meal, rather than just grabbing something convenient whenever you get hungry.

Do you have a recommendation for dual n-back? BP Mindware is currently "under construction".
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'mrdanger' wrote:
    • Acetyl-L Carnatine 500mg
    • L Glutamine 500mg
    • Creatine Monohydrate 5g
    • Piracetam 800mg

Where did you get that L-Glutamine at 500mg is a nootropic? It will be simply digested as another amino acid and will provide 0 nootropic value. The amount is insignificant as well.
  • 'mrdanger' wrote:

Do you have a recommendation for dual n-back? BP Mindware is currently "under construction".

Get it from Brain Workshop.

Where did you get that L-Glutamine at 500mg is a nootropic? It will be simply digested as another amino acid and will provide 0 nootropic value. The amount is insignificant as well.

He probably only has caps. I would get it in powder form.
  • Hey Suntoucher, I'm really glad you jumped in on this conversation. Your notes & cheat sheet have been extremely helpful.

[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Where did you get that L-Glutamine at 500mg is a nootropic? It will be simply digested as another amino acid and will provide 0 nootropic value. The amount is insignificant as well.[/font]

I first read about it in Dave's blog on public speaking and then saw it on a few other sites. I'm not taking it as a nootropic per se, but as a compliment to the other supplements I'm taking. As far as the amount goes, I haven't found any specific recommendations for my purpose, so I'm testing 500mg to start and may increase as I go.

[font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]He probably only has caps. I would get it in powder form.[/font]

You're right Jason, most of my supplements are in caps simply for convenience. Any particular reason you recommend getting it in powder form?
  • You will probably want to take a lot more than the dose listed in your protocol. In powder form, you will save a lot of money. Start with twenty grams per day and work up if needed.
  • Okay, that makes a lot of sense. At 20 grams I'd have to take something like 40 pills a day!

How do my other dosages look to you?
  • Just to interject, I think you need a more powerful racetam in your stack. I would recommend noopept. It is much more powerful than piracetam. You can take FAR less of it and that makes it very cost effective.

I used to be an advocate of brain games....but then I uncovered too much research that speculates the transferability may not be there for young and cognitively healthy individuals. What I mean is, if you aren't an elderly person suffering cognitive decline, likely the only thing these games will make you better at is playing the games. Reading, studying, and otherwise learning new skills is the best way for a healthy brain to exercise.

If you will be doing a lot of studying online, I suggest Spreeder or another speed reading program for your browser. It will help you to be far more efficient with reading text on your computer. I made a video actually about increasing my reading speed using Spreeder and tDCS ().

In my honest opinion.....given all the methods I have tried in the past, I feel that the most effective for staying focused (particularly on cognitively challenging tasks on a computer screen) and performing at peak levels is a combination of nootropics (racetams, choline, and ideally something to ward off mental fatigue) and beta brain wave entrainment. You'll be amazed what a little beta mp3 will do to keep your brain on high alert while you are working on something at the computer. I prefer isochronic tones over binaural beats (it only takes 6 minutes to fully entrain).
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Discover how to become limitless through cognitive and physical enhancement. Join the conversation at http://www.getlimitless.com[/font]
  • Nice post. Would you recommend nooptept over aniracetam? Also, does the isochronic entrainment work synergisticly or against tDCS?
  • I don't know about aniracetam. I haven't tried it personally...but, from what I have read from other users, the effects are very different so it would probably stack well synergystically.

Isochronic tones, in my experience, most definitely works AGAINST tDCS. I do not recommend trying them at the same time. Every time I have tried, my results were poor and the effect it has on my brain is undesirable.
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Discover how to become limitless through cognitive and physical enhancement. Join the conversation at http://www.getlimitless.com[/font]
  • Thanks. I am almost done with my DIY tDCS device by the way. Thanks for you help in designing it!
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'mrdanger' wrote:
    I first read about it in Dave's blog on public speaking and then saw it on a few other sites. I'm not taking it as a nootropic per se, but as a compliment to the other supplements I'm taking. As far as the amount goes, I haven't found any specific recommendations for my purpose, so I'm testing 500mg to start and may increase as I go.
    It just jumped out at me cause specifically L-Glut won't have much of an effect at that level. Unless it's some formula, then I don't know, perhaps. You get like 5g of it from your typical diet, probably more on BP.
  • [font=tahoma, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]You'll be amazed what a little beta mp3 will do to keep your brain on high alert while you are working on something at the computer. I prefer isochronic tones over binaural beats (it only takes 6 minutes to fully entrain).[/font]

Entrainment is a new concept to me. Is it basically just a matter of listening to some sounds for 6 minutes in order to stay focused and alert? And can you recommend a provider for the isochronic tones?
  • You listen to it for as long as you would like to have the entrainment last...but some methods take longer to actually get the brainwaves to entrain. Isochronic tones gets it done in six minutes. It isn't sounds that keep you alert, it is sounds that actually trick your brain into the desired brainwave state. When you entrain with beta, the tones actually force your brain into high alert beta frequency.

Mentallion.com is where I get my tones.

• Just to interject, I think you need a more powerful racetam in your stack. I would recommend noopept. It is much more powerful than piracetam. You can take FAR less of it and that makes it very cost effective.

I used to be an advocate of brain games....but then I uncovered too much research that speculates the transferability may not be there for young and cognitively healthy individuals. What I mean is, if you aren't an elderly person suffering cognitive decline, likely the only thing these games will make you better at is playing the games. Reading, studying, and otherwise learning new skills is the best way for a healthy brain to exercise.

If you will be doing a lot of studying online, I suggest Spreeder or another speed reading program for your browser. It will help you to be far more efficient with reading text on your computer. I made a video actually about increasing my reading speed using Spreeder and tDCS ([media]).

In my honest opinion.....given all the methods I have tried in the past, I feel that the most effective for staying focused (particularly on cognitively challenging tasks on a computer screen) and performing at peak levels is a combination of nootropics (racetams, choline, and ideally something to ward off mental fatigue) and beta brain wave entrainment. You'll be amazed what a little beta mp3 will do to keep your brain on high alert while you are working on something at the computer. I prefer isochronic tones over binaural beats (it only takes 6 minutes to fully entrain).

Wow, this is awesome. Great vid and information.
  • I'm new to the forum, and looking to improve memory and focus.

I've so far been changing my eating habits to be greener and cleaner, been drinking BP coffee with MCT or coconut oil, I've toyed around with Alpha Brain (nootropic), and I exercise frequently with the inclusion of some supplements.

I'm still looking for additions or alternatives to further improve results.

Any suggestions or a place to start?

Thanks,

Sco
  • mrdangermrdanger
    edited January 2013
    Hey Sco,

You're pretty where I was when I started this thread. I've learned there's no one-size-fits-all. You have to experiment, test, and track. I've just begun a routine that seems to be working so far, but it's early and I only have anecdotal evidence that my performance has improved (easily fixed a problem with my dishwasher that's been unfixable to me for over a year...stuff like that).

In addition to Dave's blogs; JasonHooper & Suntoucher have been extremely helpful on these forums.

Here's my starting point:

Upon waking:

Piracetam 800mg

Acetyl-L Carnatine 500mg

Creatine 5mg

BP coffee (16 oz coffee, 2 tbs butter, 1 tbs Upgraded MCT, dash of cinnamon)

Breakfast

2 soft boiled eggs

+ the morning stack of supplements (C, D, Krill Oil, B12, Selenium)

Lunch-Strictly on the green side. (Easier said than done, but this has probably helped more me than anything else).

Dinner-Here's where I cheat a little. I sleep better with some carbs, so I usually add a little rice to my meals. Nothing with wheat, because that ruins my sleep.

+ evening stack of supplements (A,C, K, Magnesium, Selenium, Iodine)

I've started using Lumosity, not to improve my mental sharpness (I'll use Dual N-Back for that), but for the reports and tracking they offer. I'm only a week in so it will take a little longer to establish my "control".

On my "to do" list:
    • Start the day with salt water (currently makes me nauseous, but trying to build tolerance)
    • BP Fasting
    • 20 minutes per day of Dual N Back
    • Isochronic Entrainment (thanks to anthonynlee)
    • Switch to Aniracetam once my bottle of Piracetam runs out

Hope that helps. And for anyone else reading this, feel free to critique this plan. It's still very much a work in progress.