Very High S-Hgb (And Due To This Low Free Testosterone)
Been transferring over to BP over the past 3+ years, now very clean for more than 2 years.
My issue is very high sexual hormone binding globuline (S-HBG) and resulting low free testosterone.
Testosterone: 16.4 nmol/l (ref range : 8.4 - 28.7 nmol/l)
S-HBG: 97.0 nmol/l (ref range : 17 - 66 nmol/l)
FAI (Free Androgen Index): 16.88 (ref range: 15-95)
So, most of my testosterone, which is not great to begin with, but within ok limits, gets bound by SHBG.
So, my issue is too high SHBG.
I have checked the usual culprits and they have NOT resolved the situation
- NO calorie restriction, clean diet, low on sugar, cyclically keto-adapted, low-carb, moderate protein, high fat, insane amounts of leafy greens
- plenty of fats (incl. cholesterol from egg yolks daily), btw total Chol is 6.5 nmlol/l (ref: <5 nmol/l) and LDL is 4.1 nmol/l (3.0 nmol/l), so no problems with cholesterol deficiency
- NO infections (hs-CRP has been c. 0.1-0.2 mg/l for over a year now, ref is <5)
- no pseudo-estrogens (don't do plastics, drink filtered water, no tofu/soy, even blender jug is glass)
- have plenty of zinc (from food sources, supplements and it shows in blood results 7.53mg/l)
- lots of fresh (organic) ginger, almost daily
- get lots of boron from my food source (avocados every day, real cinnamon, parsley and onions), not supplementing currently
- stinging nettle leaf (dried powder) I used weekly as tea
- I do sprint runs once a week, no long distance running, max 30 minute jogs 3 times a week
- weight training is fast, medium-intensity based body-weight training - never to failure
The only problematic thing that I can't seem to solve is IGF-1 from milk sources as I've been force into a completely dairy free diet (I*ve tried everything under the sun including goat milk, raw milk, caseine A1 & A2 sources, pasteurized, non-pasteurized, fermented, non-fermented, organic, straight from farm, non-homogenized, butter, clarified butter, cheeses). I've also tried all the Dave / Mark Sisson / Chris Kresser recommended probiotics, gut reboots, biofilm disruptors, etc. My digestion (even with lactase and other enzymes) just hasn't been able to handle milk in any form and I just break out and my joints hurt if I try using any milk products (i.e. I get an inflammation response). I know IGF-1 would be beneficial in potentially reducing SHGB, but milk products are a no.
The second thing that is not 100% optimal yet, but is on the level of good is sleep. I get 7.5-8.5 hours of usually restful sleep, but occasionally have trouble following my sleep hygiene pattern (sleep by 10 PM).
Any tips on lowering SHBG? I know there must be fellow bulletproofers in a similar situation.