Very High S-Hgb (And Due To This Low Free Testosterone)

Been transferring over to BP over the past 3+ years, now very clean for more than 2 years.

My issue is very high sexual hormone binding globuline (S-HBG) and resulting low free testosterone.

Testosterone: 16.4 nmol/l (ref range : 8.4 - 28.7 nmol/l)

S-HBG: 97.0 nmol/l (ref range : 17 - 66 nmol/l)

FAI (Free Androgen Index): 16.88 (ref range: 15-95)

So, most of my testosterone, which is not great to begin with, but within ok limits, gets bound by SHBG.

So, my issue is too high SHBG.

I have checked the usual culprits and they have NOT resolved the situation

- NO calorie restriction, clean diet, low on sugar, cyclically keto-adapted, low-carb, moderate protein, high fat, insane amounts of leafy greens

- plenty of fats (incl. cholesterol from egg yolks daily), btw total Chol is 6.5 nmlol/l (ref: <5 nmol/l) and LDL is 4.1 nmol/l (3.0 nmol/l), so no problems with cholesterol deficiency

- NO infections (hs-CRP has been c. 0.1-0.2 mg/l for over a year now, ref is <5)

- no pseudo-estrogens (don't do plastics, drink filtered water, no tofu/soy, even blender jug is glass)

- have plenty of zinc (from food sources, supplements and it shows in blood results 7.53mg/l)

- lots of fresh (organic) ginger, almost daily

- get lots of boron from my food source (avocados every day, real cinnamon, parsley and onions), not supplementing currently

- stinging nettle leaf (dried powder) I used weekly as tea

- I do sprint runs once a week, no long distance running, max 30 minute jogs 3 times a week

- weight training is fast, medium-intensity based body-weight training - never to failure

The only problematic thing that I can't seem to solve is IGF-1 from milk sources as I've been force into a completely dairy free diet (I*ve tried everything under the sun including goat milk, raw milk, caseine A1 & A2 sources, pasteurized, non-pasteurized, fermented, non-fermented, organic, straight from farm, non-homogenized, butter, clarified butter, cheeses). I've also tried all the Dave / Mark Sisson / Chris Kresser recommended probiotics, gut reboots, biofilm disruptors, etc. My digestion (even with lactase and other enzymes) just hasn't been able to handle milk in any form and I just break out and my joints hurt if I try using any milk products (i.e. I get an inflammation response). I know IGF-1 would be beneficial in potentially reducing SHGB, but milk products are a no.

The second thing that is not 100% optimal yet, but is on the level of good is sleep. I get 7.5-8.5 hours of usually restful sleep, but occasionally have trouble following my sleep hygiene pattern (sleep by 10 PM).

Any tips on lowering SHBG? I know there must be fellow bulletproofers in a similar situation.

Comments

• Serum zinc 7.53 mg/l (75.3 Âµg/dl) is not that great, its actually pretty low (although a common lab reference is 50-150 Âµg/dl).

You want it to be in the range 120-150 Âµg/dl (12-15 mg/l).

I would add 15-30 mg Thorne Zinc Picolinate a day, and get an RBC zinc test for a more accurate measurement.

The regime I am following is one 15 mg pill 1 hour before main meal, and another 15 mg pill 2 hours after main meal, for best absorption. Some people have severe stomach pains when taking zinc on empty stomach, but not me, and maybe its when taking larger doses, like 50 mg at once.

My zinc is 79 Âµg/dl and I consider it low.

My SHBG is 49.82 nmol/l, which is not that great also, I want it to be 20 nmol/l.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    This is just a minor comment, but not sure that the nettle leaf will do anything for you...

my understanding was that it needs to be Root and Extract.

(sorry got no refs handy at the moment)

fake it till you make it

• Serum zinc 7.53 mg/l (75.3 Âµg/dl) is not that great, its actually pretty low (although a common lab reference is 50-150 Âµg/dl).

You want it to be in the range 120-150 Âµg/dl (12-15 mg/l).

I would add 15-30 mg Thorne Zinc Picolinate a day, and get an RBC zinc test for a more accurate measurement.

Thanks for the tips. I'm already on 25mg + 15mg of zinc (L-OptiZinc + Pepsi-Zinc), I'd rather not go any higher. I'm getting also zinc from food and a bit from my whole food multiv (pure synergy). I've also tried several different zinc versions (picolinates, chelates, etc) but have not found a great difference between them for myself. I could try divving up the doses, thanks for the tip!

• Thanks for the tips. I'm already on 25mg + 15mg of zinc (L-OptiZinc + Pepsi-Zinc), I'd rather not go any higher. I'm getting also zinc from food and a bit from my whole food multiv (pure synergy). I've also tried several different zinc versions (picolinates, chelates, etc) but have not found a great difference between them for myself. I could try divving up the doses, thanks for the tip!

Pepsi-Zinc? Doesn't sound like a great name... what's in it? Google doesn't show up any non-spammy results.

If Pure Synergy is this http://www.thesynergycompany.com/product-info/pure-synergy/ingredients

it doesn't seem to have any zinc.

Short-term use of 60 mg/day is safe if you monitor your blood levels. 

Also http://www.biolab.co.uk/index.php/cmsid__biolab_test/Zinc_(Zn)_-_hair

Zinc availability is dependent on the presence of other minerals including iron, selenium, copper and manganese, and it is known that copper and iron supplements can reduce the absorption of zinc (zinc supplements are best absorbed on an empty stomach).

Maybe your zinc is not absorbed so well. Maybe try cycling it with picolinate instead sometimes, maybe one of them is not so well absorbed in your body, maybe some days try a bit more, both Opti and Pico, and do a blood test after a few weeks.

But be careful with the empty-stomach thing, some people get severe stomach pains.

And do this RBC test, maybe most of your zinc is floating in the serum, and the level in cells is worse?

Here is some more about zinc tests:

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/zinc-diagnostic-test.html

Try the taste test, and BTW they quote a reference range for serum 70-150 µg/dl, for plasma 90-150µg/dl, and "Although it is very good at picking up major deficiencies it is quite insensitive to marginal deficiency because a change in plasma zinc does not occur until zinc intake is extremely low. So a patient with 'normal' results may still be deficient."

Not saying that this will fix your SHGB, but its something too look at. If you have been taking the current zinc supplementation for a few months before the blood test, and it still shows in the 70s, it may be a good justification to try increasing the supplement at least just a little bit.

• Pepsi-Zinc? Doesn't sound like a great name... what's in it? Google doesn't show up any non-spammy results.

If Pure Synergy is this http://www.thesynergycompany.com/product-info/pure-synergy/ingredients

it doesn't seem to have any zinc.

Short-term use of 60 mg/day is safe if you monitor your blood levels. 

Also http://www.biolab.co.uk/index.php/cmsid__biolab_test/Zinc_(Zn)_-_hair

Maybe your zinc is not absorbed so well. Maybe try cycling it with picolinate instead sometimes, maybe one of them is not so well absorbed in your body, maybe some days try a bit more, both Opti and Pico, and do a blood test after a few weeks.

But be careful with the empty-stomach thing, some people get severe stomach pains.

And do this RBC test, maybe most of your zinc is floating in the serum, and the level in cells is worse?

Thanks for all the tips.I should not have answered hastily on the go from phone, I forgot the brand names and the levels (may be need to up my nootrpics as well).

I've been using:

Doctor's Best PepZinGI : 8mg Zinc (from Zinc-L-Carnoxine)

Source natural OptiZinc: 30 mg (from zinc monomethionine)

and cycling/alternating Optizinc with

Solgar Zinc Citrate: 30 mg

Thorne Zinc picolinate: 15mg x 2 = 30mg

Garden of Life Raw Zinc: 30mg (from food sources)

MegaFood Zinc: 22.5mg (from food sources)

So I've been getting 8+22 to 8+30 c. 30-40mg/d on zinc supplements alone.

My multivitamin is Synergy Compnay Vitamin her Multi for Men, which contains:

zinc: 30mg (in 4 capsules), but I've only been taking half the dose so additional 15mg.

So All in all, without additional food sources (and I do eat brazil nuts, sesame seeds, cashews, spinach, pumpkin seeds and tons of chocolate) c. 45-54 mg/d.

That should be enough. Hence, I've been weary of upping the pill dosage.

I'll try the additional tests, incl. the taste test. Thanks for all the suggestions!

I think in my case it could have been too low insulin (too low carbohydrate intake), which has been anecdotally reported by various low-carb dieticians and a couple of papers (which I can't now locate).

Thanks!

Additional input on SHBG levels (in addition to zinc) are more than welcome!

• rekkaarekkaa
    edited January 2017

Re-visiting an old thread.
    For me,** the main culprit**, after having tried tons of supplements and tricks, was:

Too low carbohydrates!

I tried everything and spent insane amounts of time and money experimenting, taking cold showers, wiping out my adrenal function for a while, over-training, optimizing sleep endlessly, etc.

I was just too deep into ketosis and did not eat enough of carbohydrates (for me). So, after adding more sweet potatoes, cassava, parsnip, rutabaga, green banana and even some resistance starch powders... and giving it some time, my free testosterone is on the rise. My mood is better, my willingness to initiate things has improved, I have more sexual energy and I can train harder. And my sleep is improving too (deeper, more recovering).

Just a reminder - eat enough **(not too much), pref. **whole food based fibrous **carbohydrates **to feed your free testosterone. https://ollisintegrallife.com/2016/09/26/the-ultimate-guide-to-biohacking-your-testosterone-17-ways-to-maximize-muscle-building-libido-anti-aging/

To live and learn: real food, in right amounts, for my own body type, microbiota and way of life.

Thanks to all who helped!

• So how much lower did your SHBG get to from the 97 it was?

• Hi,

I recently saw your post about high SHBG whilst on the keto diet and would like to hear more about the changes you have made. I too am on the keto diet, and whilst I've seen a rise in total testosterone, my SHGB is also high now which limits my free testosterone. I've been keto for 6 months and whilst my sexual energy increased for the first two months, it has since been on the decline.

Like you said in your post, I'm not on a caloric deficit, eat plenty of fat and I'm getting all my electrolytes and essential minerals.

My questions to you are:
    Do you eat carbs everyday now, or cyclically e.g. once per week?
    How many grams of carbs do you eat?
    How noticeable have the changes to your SHBG been?
    Are you still in ketosis?

Great to hear that things have got better for you,

Thanks.

• I have been supplementing with Boron 7mg/day and probably another 3mg/day from diet. Raisins are good, also almonds, dried apricots, prunes. After around 3 months my SHBG dropped from 100 nmol to 73 (limits given as 10-70) and free test went up from 235 pmol to 372 (limits given as 200-600). Read article 'nothing boring about boron' to see why I did this. Notes that anything under 3mg/day Boron does nothing for androgens, suspect your diet wont give you more than 3mg/day. Boron does plenty of other good stuff to bones, brain, cancer etc. What is a bit strange is the effect on my libido. Initially improved libido and returned morning glorys but this has back off recently, however I have a weak immune system (probably linked to low Vit D and my levels dropped in winter and only just recovering this after a few months of clods/flu etc). Have also used tribulus which does improve libido.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Attach file
Attach image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file