Raw Honey A Scam?

Just went to the organic store to buy raw honey which they didnt have. I asked about it and they said they dont sell it anymore since the organic honey they sell is all produced below 40 degrees celcius so the raw honey etiquete is a scam and u can just buy organic honey. Thoughts?

Comments

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Erhm...buy it from a beekeeper in your area! Far more beneficial for allergies due to local pollen and nectar. 

Or go on Snopes or Skeptoid and see if they have any cited information on raw honey scams.

Good luck! May the bee vomit flow freely!

• I've been wondering about this too.

I made Jason M's sweet potato brownies yesterday and it said to use raw honey (optional) and then of course I cooked them in the oven for 25 minutes.

So what is the point of using raw honey in that situation I wonder, it's getting nuked anyway.

I've never even seen raw honey before in any of the stores here.

In addition to being heated, most processed honey is filtered, which causes a distinct change in taste and extracts all the wonderful little bits of pollen, bacteria and other bee-related goodness like bee-bits. Pasteurized and refined honey will remain liquid when stored, while raw honey will crystallize after significant oxidation (this can be reconstituted with a little gentle heat) giving you an easy way to tell the difference between unlabeled jars of the golden liquid. Hopefully that helps a bit, I know it's light on the specific health effects! Maybe someone else can fill those in?

• Makes perfect sense Jason, thanks.

Bridget.

• Can someone still answer my question why raw honey would be better then organic honey produced below 40 degrees celcius?

Can someone still answer my question why raw honey would be better then organic honey produced below 40 degrees celcius?

All the little extra bits are filtered out when honey is pasteurized. No more bits of pollen, bees, microbes from the hive environment. You can notice the difference in the taste, smell, consistency and crystallization under room temperature no longer occurs. 

• edited August 2015

Hmm. Seems they even have it in Slovenia :)

Now find grass fed meat and I am happy.