Wrong Study Cited In Rapid Fat Loss Protocol? | Is Fructose Really Worse Than Glucose?!

Hey,

in the RFLP (rapid fat loss protocol) here: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/rapid-fat-loss-protocol/

it says that:

"Fructose is 10-20% more lipogenic (fat forming) during overfeeding than glucose."

with a link to this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11722954

First of all: they compare SUCROSE and Glucose, not Fructose and Glucose.

AND there it says:

"The type of carbohydrate overfeeding (sucrose or glucose) had no significant effect on de novo lipogenesis in either subject group."

Can anyone shed light on this? ARE there studies that give proof to a more lipogenic effect of fructose over glucose?

Kind regards and may it help to improve bulletproof exec.

Comments

• In the discussion portion of that journal article it says:

"There is also some evidence that the type of dietary carbohydrates consumed affects de novo lipogenesis differently. Fructose, in particular, has been identified as having a more powerful effect on de novo lipogenesis than glucose in both laboratory rats (21) and humans (1011), albeit in the short-term (6 h). This has been attributed to fructose's rapid utilization by the liver, which avoids the rate-limiting 6- or 1-phosphofructokinase step in glycolysis that limits glucose metabolism (22). Schwarz et al (1012) showed that short-term feeding of fructose increased de novo lipogenesis in humans by a factor of between 3 and 10 compared with an isoenergetic load of glucose, which failed to significantly increase de novo lipogenesis at all."

Reference 10 is: 

Schwarz JM, Neese RA, Basinger A, Hellerstein MK. Effect of oral fructose on lipolysis, fat oxidation, fractional and absolute de novo lipogenesis (DNL) using mass isoptomer distribution analysis (MIDA).FASEB J 1993;7:867

I hope this helps! :)

• Helped a lot, thanks!

I was confused at first..I think the author of the RFLP must have meant to cite the original article that actually studies the in vivo differences between glucose and fructose rather than the one that they did cite between glucose and sucrose. I'm glad you found that and pointed it out for all of us, as this probably clears up a lot of confusion for readers (including me)! Thank you!