Significance Of Mtor Suppression By Dark Chocolate ?!

Hello Bulletproofers ;)

To introduce myself.... I'm kind of crazy and obsessed with little things, finding "State of optimal performance" as Dave put it and just general bio-hacking.

I've been thinking quite some time about mTOR and how does chocolate affects it. Couldn't find much of an info on this topic. Therefore I'm trying asking here.

Question is basically : "Will there be any significant issue with eating whole bar of 90% Lindt chocolate postworkout ? As far as mTOR signalling therefore muscle protein synthesis inhibition goes?"

I rly don't want to screw my "gainz" if there is some significant inhibition.

My Reddit try : https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/3fmc1r/effects_of_dark_chocolate_on_mtor_signalling/

Thanks a lot for any info regarding this topic in advance and hope I won't get "Majoring in minors" reply here also :D

Comments

• I've kind of wondered the same thing, back when I was eating sweet potato brownies all the time. Why would you want something low carb/high fat post workout though?
  • edited August 2015

I've kind of wondered the same thing, back when I was eating sweet potato brownies all the time. Why would you want something low carb/high fat post workout though?

I can not put it anywhere else (do not want to eat chocolate at 18:00 or so because of stimulants in it and it's same mTor problem around 18:00 also), I do 20:4 IF which works phenomenally for me, it's just ridiculous. So usually it goes like this :

7:30 Coffee & Cold shower

12:00 Coffee sometimes with MCT or Coconut oil

14:00 Finished working out and rdy to eat, now I'm looking for stimulating mps, so using mostly adequate amount of whey with something, but I'm trying to focus on lowering carbs since I just feel better when I eat less of them. So I might do for example Whey and than almond butter some nuts , chocolate bar and banana.

14-18:00 Bite of this and that here and there :)

18:00 Last big meal again with enough of L-Leucine in whatever form to maximize mps.

Shooting for about 2.8-3k KCal a day to maintain my weight (89-90kg right now, decently ripped)

• what kind of workout are you doing? 

is there some way that you are quantifying your muscle protein synthesis? are you tracking your strength or hypertrophy or something like that? i think if you're actually looking to see if there is a difference with chocolate or without chocolate you'd have to experiment on yourself and see if it affects whatever it is you're trying to change. i'd be curious to hear what your results are. 

personally i find that if i do my intense workouts early in the day i am a bit drained the rest of the day regardless of what i eat. if i eat carbs i get the carb crash, if i don't eat carbs i'm just tired and feel like i need to eat carbs. so i just do my more intense workouts later. 

• what kind of workout are you doing? 

is there some way that you are quantifying your muscle protein synthesis? are you tracking your strength or hypertrophy or something like that? i think if you're actually looking to see if there is a difference with chocolate or without chocolate you'd have to experiment on yourself and see if it affects whatever it is you're trying to change. i'd be curious to hear what your results are. 

personally i find that if i do my intense workouts early in the day i am a bit drained the rest of the day regardless of what i eat. if i eat carbs i get the carb crash, if i don't eat carbs i'm just tired and feel like i need to eat carbs. so i just do my more intense workouts later. 

I don't track those mentioned. I don't think it's even possible to track mps just by myself with some "tool", but I guess you're right, nobody seems to have an answer so I'll probably just keep eating it and see if my performance/physique declines or not.

I was just curious if somebody already solved this question in some more "scientific" way.

As for acute effects after working out, there is no crash for me, I do feel absolutely fine after eating the chocolate post workout. So no problem here.

My workouts are mostly weight lifting (5-6/7) with some biking or just running about once a week if I'm not lifting.