Galvanize/data Science

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody out there have any experience in the Data Scientist field? -- I'm at a unique point in my career and the idea of taking a course with Galvanize intrigues me. 

Just curious as to some thoughts on the space/work environment/job opps as well as any potential experiences with Galvanize.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• I'd classify myself as a low level data scientist, and I am looking to do some training in data mining during the next couple of years. I hadn't heard of Galvanize before, but I just took a look now and I'm intrigued. The claimed median salary and placement level are appealing, if you have the $16K tuition available to you and the time to do the program.

If you do it, please report back on your impressions of it!

• I'm torn on this FYI.

Seems chasing a paycheck is my MO and hasn't really lead to fulfillment. -- I think I'm doing the same thing here...

• Tycho, where would be a good place to start getting my feet wet?

I'm currently a PHP developer and on a current project I am constantly with feeds of data, that is just ozzing with innovative potential if I knew how or where to start.

I see coursea has courses in R programming, I've also had a look at a lot of Alteryx's tutorials. 

Freelance Wordpress developer and wannabe powerlifter
    carlaiau.com

• Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I'm not always very up to date on checking the boards.

Are you familiar with pivot tables, slicers in Excel? Those would be the places to start. I have a book on R but haven't delved into it.

In terms of what I'm working on learning data science-wise,

1) Working on a self-study Six Sigma class online. Not exactly blowing my socks off, but I think it'll be good exposure.

2) Will be taking a class in business intelligence analysis at a local university and get reimbursed by my job.

3) These programs have caught my attention: https://www.wallstreetprep.com/programs/-- They seem to be reasonably-priced, and teach a lot of specific, hands-on skills to manipulate data.