Mark Sisson On Gmos

SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion

Mark Sisson discussed GMOs in this recent MDA article. What do you guys think? Do you agree or disagree with him? I know a lot of you have very strong feelings about GMOs, so I thought I'd post this.

Personally, I feel like this is a well-reasoned piece and he touches upon a lot of common arguments that people use in opposition of/in favor of GMOs. But what about the rest of you?

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Comments

• Last few months I've come to the conclusion he's the best writer out there.  Very much in agreement with him.

--

Michael Stone

• Agree with most of his points, but he didn't mention my 3 biggest concerns:

- Horizontal gene transfer of Bt toxin to gut bacteria (you likely have some Bacillus species in your gut, so why is it a stretch to think a toxin producing gene from Bacillus thuringiensis, now in a corn kernal, could transfer? Scientists have actually addressed this with the argument that cell walls of corn are broken down in digestion so the DNA will be destroyed, but please, everyone poops a whole kernal sometimes. Right? Wait, am I the only one?) 

- Glyphosate/Roundup affect on the soil microbiome (even if it IS safe for us, Dave claims it makes soil molds release much more mycotoxin) 

- Cross-pollination pandora's box

• Thanks for sharing the Mark Sisson article. I just stumbled on Bt corn and still not sure what to think about it. Like so many of the times that we interfere with nature it's simply hard to predict what all the effects will be. I would like to know more about this for sure.

This was the quote that spooked me the most about what Bt corn does to Monarch butterflies:

The toxin in the transformed pollen, the researchers say, goes into the gut of the caterpillar, where it binds to specific sites. When the toxin binds, the gut wall changes from a protective layer to an open sieve so that pathogens usually kept within the gut and excreted are released into the insect's body. As a result, the caterpillar quickly sickens and dies.

My dad was an organic farmer back in the early 80's. He said that Bt was thought to be a better choice than chemical pesticides. Of course, he didn't have his crops producing the toxin directly, which is where my worry comes from. You could potentially wash the bacteria and toxin off of the corn if applied topically. With genetic modification, it's built into the corn itself.