Skin Issues

edited August 2015 in General Discussion

Hi,

Having spent some time reading the forum and some blog postings I've found mention that skin issues are caused by gut issues.

I have been experiencing fungal infections in parts of my body (toes, groin, anus and part of my back) for a number of years.  The doctor put it down to the drying of skin from using fan heaters and also due to my sweating (I train 4/5 times a week and also find that I sweat really easily) and I have also dry skin on my back which seems to be spreading to my chest.  I was prescribed a creme which cut out the itching but the dry/sore skin remain.  I have tried daily moisturising with E45 but find that it does not seem to help.

Is there any advice on supplements I should be taking or any help people can offer?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I would ensure your diet is as clean as possible, to your gut issues comment, and apply mct oil/coconut oil/coca butter to the dry areas.  Many say that the sauna is good for the skin and detoxing so why not try the sauna 3-4 times a week of about 30 min each shot and see if it helps.  I give three things to try on the skin as I feel that it helps to cycle things off and on as they lose effectiveness.  If you can cover bad areas with cotton and put the oil on it before bed it will stop it from drying out at night.

I have a dry skin issue with a hand and the above helps a lot.  But you may have to go to a dermatologist and try to get a referral for someone who is good as I feel that many doctors flat out stink in this field.  The sooner you get the issue solved the easier it is to fix.  There are a startling variety of skin conditions and identifying them is tricky: ringworm, eczema, etc.

• I would ensure your diet is as clean as possible, to your gut issues comment, and apply mct oil/coconut oil/coca butter to the dry areas.  Many say that the sauna is good for the skin and detoxing so why not try the sauna 3-4 times a week of about 30 min each shot and see if it helps.  I give three things to try on the skin as I feel that it helps to cycle things off and on as they lose effectiveness.  If you can cover bad areas with cotton and put the oil on it before bed it will stop it from drying out at night.

I have a dry skin issue with a hand and the above helps a lot.  But you may have to go to a dermatologist and try to get a referral for someone who is good as I feel that many doctors flat out stink in this field.  The sooner you get the issue solved the easier it is to fix.  There are a startling variety of skin conditions and identifying them is tricky: ringworm, eczema, etc.

Thank you for the information.

I will give it a try.

I have been to see a Dermatologist for the condition and he was the one who thought it was a fungal infection and prescribed a topical cream.  As I said this reduced/eliminated the itchiness. However, I'm finding this now coming back and I think it might be my sleeping environment.  I have a memory foam mattress and pillows and my wife regularly brings a hot water bottle to bed.  I find that I wake up regularly with a sweat.  I find that the heat exacerbates the itchy feeling and also breaks my sleep cycle.  I'm attempting to sleep without a duet or any kind of covers and keeping the windows open.  I hope this helps.

• I just found this site about a worm ( ascaris ) causing exzema... I'll check it out. 

The site describes a way to kill the worm by using papaya seeds.

http://www.myhealthblog.org/2007/11/03/ascaris-causes-eczema-and-psoriasis/

It says that the worm drills holes in your intestines to get to your bloodstream.

I'll try it with my wife and let you know if it makes a difference.

Her issue is itchy skin, which coupled with stress get her scratching

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Having fungal overgrwoth on you skin can also be a sign that you have that in you gut. Check your gut... I have a genetic predisposition to gut inflammation. The same gene also is related to psoriasis. I have that. There are a bunch of threads in the forums on this.

FIX YOUR GUT...

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• I had issues like you describe a few years back when I was eating horribley. The doc I went to did the same thing, prescribed cream and scripts for steriods because he was certain I was having allergic reaction to something. After several visits, he came to the conclusion it was a fungal infection and prescribed a prescription medication that required a weekly blood test to monitor my liver. I took it for about a week or so and stopped, because it scared me taking it. It did clear up, leading me to believe that was the cause.

..Now that I know a little better, I would try to find a natural solution first.

I know apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good at killing fungus, both internally (as much as you can stand in water, several times a day) and topically for toenails (not sure about the skin). - Also coconut oil, turmeric. If I were you I would take the crap out of turmeric.  ...And don't eat/drink any high sugar foods or alcohol.

In humid weather, it's easy to get itchy, so you could try taking a break for a little from sweating too much, and if need be use corn starch like baby powder to keep areas dry.

• Check out Fix Your Gut.

Sounds like Fungus/Yeast

• There are many types of rash caused by fungi most do not mimic the round scaly rash produced by Tinea Corporis (ringworm). But rashes can be challenging to diagnosis. There are a number of other rashes that can look like ringworm but their causes are completely different.
    Ringworm is easily treated at Urgent Care or by your primary care doctor or dermatologist. When on the open skin, ringworm is treated with topical antifungal creams. Prescriptions creams are more potent than the over the counter creams and need to be applied less frequently. Though ringworm is usually not contagious after 3-4 days of using the topical antifungal cream. It may take a few weeks before it disappears. Continue using the cream until the rash is completely gone and be sure to check your entire body for other newly forming areas. Ringworm is easily treated at Urgent Care or by your primary care doctor or dermatologist.