Bulletproof Bacon(How To)

Could anyone tell Me how to cook it just right so the fats don't oxidize and the best technique?

Comments

• Wow! 2-4hrs...thats impressive. Today was my first day cooking bacon slow, and I had my stovetop on between 1-2 (out of 10)and I did 20 min on one side of the bacon and 20 minutes on the other side of the bacon

It was good, but extrodinarily salty (it was Dry Rubbed, Salt cured, Applewood smoked, Thick sliced bacon from Wellshire).
  • I do mine at 350F convection toaster oven or 325F convection oven for 30 minutes. For some reason the big oven runs a little hot, or cycles more quickly. Still tuning that one in. Even 30 minutes is an eternity to smell bacon cooking. I can't imagine 4 hours!
  • What brand of bacon is the best. I live near a whole foods, sprouts, bristol farms, and trader joes. Thanks! It's been years since I've had bacon... I can't believe there's such a thing as bulletproof bacon
  • thanks bro! I'll try cooking it in the flavorwave....
  • I use Applegate Farms Organic Sunday Bacon. I get it from Sprouts "Farmers Market" which has a location right around the corner from my house.

I recently made a delightful discovery about Sprouts. If you buy a "case" of something, you get a 10% discount. A "case" of Kerrygold butter is 12 units. With the bacon, I think it's 10. The policy seems to be up to the judgement of the cashier, but anyone out and about on the floor should be able to tell you how many units makes a case of something.

I do get some strange looks when I check out with $50 worth of butter. Not nearly as strange as when I add "I make a lot of coffee." image/icon_e_wink.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';-)' />
  • Made a bacon weave today, 10 minutes in the halogen oven at 350F image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • edited January 2013
    Applegate sunday bacon is great. I started baking it in the oven as well. Been experimenting with lowering the heat and increasing the time. Last batch I did at 250 for an hour and I think a little lower for longer would be better. I think Jason's recommendation is right on. Sidenote: I made the Broccoli/Leek blended soup from the cookbook. Instead of using the coconut oil I put in bacon fat. FaBuLuOs!
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    I should point out that if you save the rendered fat, you should throw it in with the german red cabbage dish to make it more traditional. The german's loved cooking with speck!

No sorcery, just science. 

• Joe E.Joe E.
    edited February 2013
    I cooked some pastured bacon last night for the first time. Fried it on 3 (out of 10) on an electric stove. It was really good. I drank the rendered fat while eating the bacon. Is that a bad thing? I feel fine.
  • I do mine at 350F convection toaster oven or 325F convection oven for 30 minutes. For some reason the big oven runs a little hot, or cycles more quickly. Still tuning that one in. Even 30 minutes is an eternity to smell bacon cooking. I can't imagine 4 hours!

Do you flip them over 15 minutes?

• Hey guys, I have Dave's Upgraded Chef book, and one of the recipes is a Beef and Bacon loaf.

Part of that recipe, is cooking the loaf for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees F. This means, that the already cooked and chilled bacon, is being cooked at 350 degrees F. I assume that is bulletproof, because it's in his cook book which is supposed to be recipes for the bulletproof diet.

Which brings me to my point, are you guys cooking bacon at 200 degrees for hours unnecessarily?

• Isn't it just water leaking out in the fat that makes the popping sound?
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • I don't get why you can't fry it at a super low temp...  Sticking it in the oven takes 20 to preheat alone.  I would think that so long as it's cooked slowly it doesn't matter if you poach, bake, whatever the cooking method no?

• M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.

Cooking in a pan slowly is good too.  Slowly baking it yields tastier bacon though and a purer rendered fat if you put the bacon on a raised rack first.

• Jason's recommendation sounds awesome. I've gotten away from cooking bacon recently because I've been on a bit of a tight budget, but I definitely need to get back to it.

Just reading this thread is killing me!

My Fitness and Nutrition Blog: http://JJStrength.com