Possible Way To Boost Your Iq

Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
edited January 2013 in Brain Hacking
Podcast #35 showed how electrical muscle stimulation could upgrade the nervous system by using electrical current to impose rapid myelination. Could the same process be achieved by using tDCS? I propose that using an alternating sequence between Fp1 anode and right shoulder cathode and Fp2 anode and left shoulder cathode, alternating each week at thirty minutes a day, seven days a week while performing a challenging cognitive task will result in a permanent increase in fluid intelligence by the myelination of nerves in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.

In summary, if EMS can increase your reaction time, I hypothesize that tDCS should increase your IQ.

Here is a study that supports my claim:

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0024140

Comments

• Here is an image of my current materials. Like the picture? I am an amateur photographer--self taught. If you have a wedding, or graduation shoot, send me a PM. I also do graphic design, but you already knew that from my work below.

tDCS.JPG

Here are the parts that I intend to use to create my experiment. Altogether, they cost me around forty American dollars. As you can see, I have some problems. My electrode is way too big, I only have one of them, and I still need to buy a 17 ohm resistor.
  • edited January 2013
    This. Is. Awesome. Wow. Please keep really close data on this. I would love to follow it.....and actually. I want to try it.
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Discover how to become limitless through cognitive and physical enhancement. Join the conversation at http://www.getlimitless.com[/font]
  • Thanks! I got the idea from your YouTube videos, which are even more awesome.
  • Here is an update on my parts list:

tDCS2.JPG

Here is the OpenStim diagram:

tDCS_Diagram.JPG

Time to get soldering!
  • Very interested in seeing your progress. This looks awesome.
  • Also quite interested!
  • I have everything up and running and have begun doing some function checking with a multimeter. I am strongly considering a redesign. I do not have a lot of safety built into this thing. I could go with a 5ma fuse like in the GoFlow, but my brain will be fried before the fuse. I think my best bet is with a JFET current limiter.

Current_limiting_diode_schematic.png

It is going to slow down my trial a bit, but I have to put a higher priority on safety.
  • Hey JasonHooper,

How is your device different from this one?

http://www.upgradedself.com/tech/upgraded-focus-brain-trainer.html

Is it that you are applying a current directly as opposed to...I'm not sure...thinking hard?
  • I have not seen that before. How long has it been there? It looks to be a light based EEG neurofeedback unit. The device that I built uses a small amount of electrical current to stimulate a specific part of the brain.
  • I placed an order on Wednesday and saw it. Weird there was no announcement or fanfare, this seems like a cool product. For the size of product description, I am not really sure how blood flow is increased to certain parts of the brain.
  • Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    That is how an MRI detects active parts of the brain. Circulation is increased in the areas used.
  • hzahza ✭✭
    Compare to this product before buying: http://www.brain-trainer.com/cgi-bin/shop.pl?shop=get_item&item_id=92

Looks like the same thing. $995 is a good price if it includes Bioexplorer (sorry I have a test in a few hours so I have to get to bed and can't check out the whole link), but potentially not such a good deal otherwise. Caveat emptor, and etc.
  • hzahza ✭✭
    Had a deeper look at both offerings, and they're essentially the same. Either way you go, you get the same eq't within a $5 price difference. Although on the Upgraded site it mentions that HEGSuite software is required, whereas on the brain-trainer site it says it's included. Probably it's included in both packages, but the wording is a little unclear on Bulletproof.

I've been meaning to buy the basic neurofeedback package from brain-trainer for a while, but have been piecing together a computer dedicated to those pursuits before buying. I'm glad I delayed, bc this new Peanut HEG looks like a significant improvement over the Pendant model, at a lower price.

I'm hoping to get started within the month.
  • Hey Guys, I'm looking to do a bunch of the things done to hack my brain. 

But I want to see measurable quantitative data, and measure before and after measurements of my IQ.

So, where is the best place to find a reputable professional to measure my IQ? Dave had a post on "Bulletproof Doctors" and so I was wondering if there was a similar way to find a reputable place to get before and after IQ Scores.

thoughts?

btw, JasonHooper, you are quite the renaissance man, my hat is off to you! applause

-Tim

• Is this similar to the "the god helmet"?  Interesting post...I'm curious to see how it all pans out really! bump

• After the completion of the device, I tested it meticulously with a multimeter to mitigate risk.  I have been using it quite successfully to complete a rather tedious project while sleep deprived.

• Is there any possibility that you share your blueprint with us? I can't see the pics you posted in January..

Thanks!

• So is this the protocol you've been using?  One week at FP1 only, followed by a week at FP2, alternating back and forth?  If you don't mind a couple of (more) questions, what amperage are you using?  How many weeks of this have you done, and are you sticking to 30 minute sessions?  Do you do this at task or right before or right after, etc?

I have a tDCS system on the back burner that I've been thinking of using for rapid myelination in connection to learning drumming rudiments, but haven't researched the best way to go about it.  Your experiment here seems to be really close to what I had in mind.

Podcast #35 showed how electrical muscle stimulation could upgrade the nervous system by using electrical current to impose rapid myelination. Could the same process be achieved by using tDCS? I propose that using an alternating sequence between Fp1 anode and right shoulder cathode and Fp2 anode and left shoulder cathode, alternating each week at thirty minutes a day, seven days a week while performing a challenging cognitive task will result in a permanent increase in fluid intelligence by the myelination of nerves in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex.

In summary, if EMS can increase your reaction time, I hypothesize that tDCS should increase your IQ.

Here is a study that supports my claim:

http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0024140

• I'm interested in tDCS'ing, then going for a Float....

• What is everyone doing that requires their brain to be a supercomputer? Are we competing in spelling bee's regularly or something?

• Life is short.  I don't have 10,000 hours for mastering new skills anymore.  I also don't have time to re-read the same book 5 times only to discover I've forgotten everything 2 weeks later.  What do you suppose the point of "brain hacking" is?

What is everyone doing that requires their brain to be a supercomputer? Are we competing in spelling bee's regularly or something?

• Hza is spot on. There's shit to do. Even if we do live for 100+ years, I'd like to dial in & master more things in a shorter amount of time, and make really solid changes in this world.

And honestly, why NOT have a supercomputer in your head? Are you still using an AMD Thunderbird 900 Mhz in this day and age? No. You upgrade, push ahead, do more awesomeness. :)

• @Ahlerich: Give me a bit to dig up my blueprints and I will repost.

@Hza: I am sticking to the original protocol at two milliamps. I used stimulation during the exercise for about a month before my son was born. I picked it back up over the holidays. It is a minimal cost investment and should do wonders for your rolls, flams, drags, paradiddles, and so forth.
  • hzahza ✭✭

Mindalive says that with their supplied sponge/electrode setup that 1.0 mA is recommended, and their program is set to 20 minutes.  I did 1.5 sessions (cut the second off halfway) at 1.0 mA and instead of drumming practice I figured I might as well do my daily dual n-back session followed by some speed reading exercises.  

The Mindalive tDCS manual also suggests that the effects will typically last for several hours and can be permanent with repetition.  Not sure what that means in practical terms (ie, how much repetition, what exact effect), but on this first day I didn't feel any less stupid while doing the 20 blocks of n-back training, but apparently I managed to post gains anyway.  It'll be interesting to see where I end up at the end of the first 20 sessions.

• GarrettGarrett
    edited January 2014

Slight Edge. Small imperceivable benefits, compounded over time, create a FAR greater change than 1 large instant benefit NOW.

Large instant benefits rarely last, so not feeling said instant benefits is PROBABLY a sign that it's working.

• hzahza ✭✭

I tend to regard frustration as evidence of effectiveness.  In the case of dual n-back, I find it interesting that as I get better at it, it seems to be--at this stage--more a matter of instinct rather than actually knowing what to do.  I'm still learning to arrange columns of memorized items to choose correct answers from, so when I register 90-100% correct I'm surprised at how accurate my choices can be when I don't seem to have a conscious grasp of what I'm doing. 

It's odd, but I never said it wasn't working.  I fully expect to make progress with this training, as much as the average person anyway.

• Yes, the stress is definitely a drawback.  After my training sessions my HRV plummets for about an hour.  I have to do a ten to fifteen minute emWave session to return to normal.

• I haven't been doing as much D-N-B as I'd like to (will be doing some tonight), but a potential way to combat the stress, as well as lock in gains, is to take a Nap immediately after finishing your D-N-B training.

I did it the other day, and my thinking SEEMED to be a bit clearer for the rest of the day. I'll be putting this to the test over the course of this month.

• hzahza ✭✭

I guess I misread the rapid gains protocol for i3.  I thought it was one bloc of 20 rounds per day, but it looks like you're supposed to do 2, taking 2 days off out of every 7.  I've just done 1 bloc for 3 consecutive days.  

Yesterday's session didn't happen until late evening, and I felt a little sharper while doing the first 10 rounds, like i was memorizing the info better as an in-the-moment thing, but by the end I felt like my head was full of sand.  They have this round of brainteaser questions after every 10 rounds, and I couldn't figure out the required answer format for the last group of questions so I basically skipped it, feeling real dumb, I might add.  Did some EEG and had dinner about an hour later.

But man, this morning I've been on point.  I had a Chinese character test that I hadn't prepared for all weekend, 30 new vocabulary items to learn in about a half hour before class, and my brain felt a lot sharper than usual--and this was before coffee or any of my daily supps.  I could remember stuff that I haven't studied for months or years (it comes up in Chinese vocabulary a lot, you'll run into a combination using characters that you haven't used in a while) like I'd been studying it all week, just by glancing or sometimes from long term memory just by reading the English meaning first.   I don't know if I'm expressing this clearly, but it was a pretty amazing improvement for me.

Now I'm wondering if it's safe to do two tDCS sessions per day if they're spread far enough apart and cut them down to 20 minutes per.  I don't want to get greedy about it but I have a lot of stuff to learn in the next few months and not much time, and anything I can do to increase info uptake speed while boosting retention of new items and recall of previously studied material is worth a try.

It's also possible that I'm just having a good day today, and I'll be dumb as dirt tomorrow.  But when things are going well from a brain hacking perspective, you can't help but get caught up in the sense of possibility sometimes.  

• If you have access to a float tank, hza... perhaps going for a number of floats, then (once you're used to the environment), piping some of your material in via audio, for some superlearning. Something to consider.