Eating Clean Before Bulletproof Coffee

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but bulletproof coffee (BPC) seems to come with the caveat that you must eat a bulletproof diet if you are going to drink bulletproof coffee regularly. That is, the following hypothesis seems probable: BPC may exacerbate the effects of inflammatory foods.

Ie. Drinking BPC with a donut seems like suicide.

Im not sure if this gets discussed often enough when BPC is discussed elsewhere. That being said, what (if any) are some rules for 'cleaning out' that could be applied prior to ingesting BPC?

Ie, I just ate X, I should wait Y time before drinking BPC.

PS. I am aware that Upgraded Coconut Charcoal (UCC) can help detoxify the GI tract, but what about residual inflammation throughout the rest of circulatory system?

Comments

• BPC may exacerbate the effects of inflammatory foods.

Where are you getting that? 

Personally, I just wouldn't drink BPC with elevated blood sugar (and therefore insulin,) or elevate my BS/insulin soon after ingestion of BPC. It's hard for your body to use fat for fuel with elevated insulin, and easy to store fat. 

I'm not sure of a situation in which I'd eat a crappy breakfast then have BPC, but I guess if I was going to do that I'd just wait a few hours and make sure I was fairly hungry before the BPC. 

• TDCAudioTDCAudio
    edited August 2015

not sure I understand why adding good fats to a bad meal would be exacerbatory toward inflammation.  I would think those good fats and polyphenols might actually add a bit of protection from the foods you are referring to.  

• Butter, grass fed or not, is an inflammatory food. Its a dairy product. This is one of the more glaring inconsistencies of the BP diet (of which I am mostly a fan of).

Personally, on the few occasions where I've consumed BPC in the morning and later had a non BP meal (such as barbecue or fried chicken), I've noticed immediate 'pulsing' sensation in my blood vessels, ie neck, elbows, calves.

I'm not the most vascular person, but my resting HR is <50 and I've been physically active my whole life.

It seems that BPC is an all or nothing proposal; you really shouldn't be drinking it if you're eating junk, even infrequently. I'm willing to accept that this hypothesis may be incorrect.

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.

yeah... my personal experience is don't precede or follow BP coffee with sugar or carbs. I really shouldn't have been surprised.

I put on a respectable amount of fat doing that. 20ish pounds in 6 months. I wasn't exercising.

BP coffee is awesome, but yeah.... i'd drop down to just coffee if you are gonna have a pastry for breakfast and a burrito or similar item for lunch.

the fat definitely came on faster than me eating a bagel and pastry with black coffee and normal restaurant fare for lunch and dinner.

i've cut back from 2 to about 1 tablespoon each of Brain Octane and Butter/ghee. I've found i'm equally sated till I have my lunch at 2pm.

I use measuring implements. it's easy to blow past what you think is a tablespoon or two.

it seems to make my blood pressure go down if I have too much BO my systolic and diastolic drop 10 points and I go from very energized and clear minded to a little muddled, slightly on edge. it's difficult to describe. i'm usually around 110/60 hr 60-70bpm.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I drink bp coffee along with any other foods with no adverse reactions, then again I follow certain macros and " if it fits"...

So you are eating "if it fits". But I seem to remember that you have been eating BP before. My question is if you noticed differences when you switched (if there was a switch at all, and not a gradual one), and what kind of.

Thanks!

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• Butter, grass fed or not, is an inflammatory food. Its a dairy product. This is one of the more glaring inconsistencies of the BP diet (of which I am mostly a fan of).

Personally, on the few occasions where I've consumed BPC in the morning and later had a non BP meal (such as barbecue or fried chicken), I've noticed immediate 'pulsing' sensation in my blood vessels, ie neck, elbows, calves.

I'm not the most vascular person, but my resting HR is <50 and I've been physically active my whole life.

It seems that BPC is an all or nothing proposal; you really shouldn't be drinking it if you're eating junk, even infrequently. I'm willing to accept that this hypothesis may be incorrect.

wouldn't eating junk food cause undesirable reactions whether you're drinking bulletproof coffee or not?  

Also, most people drink their regular coffee with milk rather than butter.  The whole idea of butter instead of milk is that a lot of the dairy proteins are removed right?  So are you saying that you have to drink your coffee black if you eat shitty food?  

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

I don't think I ever had raisin bran but I drink raw milk when I find it. But I just had a ton of Oreos (not a fan though, it's nothing special) and dulce de leche (this is special indeed, very delicious) around my workout today. :wink:

So you didn't had any brain fog and similar symptoms people sometimes mention? While I was eating really clean I was very sensitive to carbs and sweets and grain products when I had them (very rarely). I still rarely eat them when I arrange my food myself because I'm keeping it more or less clean, I prefer it that way. But now I've been on a business trip and eating a lot and all kinds of stuff (lots of "junk" like muffins, cookies included, without any guilt) for 3 weeks, one week still ahead, and I had zero brain fog problems, and highly improved lifts and strength. However, I'm puffier than normally, it's possible that they trigger some kind of inflammation, or simply it's from the unusual amount of food and full glycogen stores.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

brain fog problems

Oh, man. Brain fog. Been thinking about this recently.

I'm beginning to wonder how much of this "brain fog" business is really just psychosomatic BS that was sold to us by health bloggers. A boogeyman to vanquish that necessitated expensive coffee or supplements as an antidote. I mean, eating tons and tons of junk food and sitting around all day is problematic for all kinds of reasons, and I'm not about to act like a lot of additives to processed foods are going to add years to my life. But at the same time, I ate a cookie the other day with a (toxin-filled) Starbucks coffee on a whim and-- can you believe it?-- no brain fog. I still did everything I needed to do that day, still managed to focus and get work done. I was a little apprehensive about ordering it, wondered as I waited in line whether I was going to jeopardize my mental clarity for the day. I sat down, ate the thing, and then kind of tensed up as I started into my work. I was waiting for it, expecting the veil of "brain fog" to descend upon me.

It never did.

Maybe it's because my diet is usually on-point, so the occasional "sin" doesn't mess me up like it used to. More likely though, it's because I no longer malign certain foods as "SATAN INCARNATE" and don't stress over 100% dietary purity. Performance is so much more than just diet.

In a lot of ways, I agree that paleo/bulletproof can inspire eating disorder-like behavior. I came to paleo from a SAD diet, but it wasn't an especially "healthy" SAD diet. I ate a lot of junk, never paid any mind to my macros and didn't move around enough. Health problems began popping up and I started looking for answers. When I found this "magical" new caveman diet and ate things like salad, or increased my fat intake so that I was satiated with less food overall, I began to lose weight and the health issues began to wane. Imagine that? Let's just say my trouble didn't stem from the fact that I had an affinity for the odd bit of pizza or iced cream. The inclusion of buttered coffees was also not a panacea.

I eat paleo/BPish most of the time, and it does make me feel good. I'm getting a lot more micronutrients eating this way, and food is more exciting with all of this variety. Now and then I'll still smash a pizza, though. We're all going to die someday, and even Dave Asprey can't cheat death by eating 4,500 calories a day of butter. Eating well and moving around enough, I hope to add a few years to my life and stay healthy, but the whole "performance" angle of this diet and others seems so completely ludicrous to me now.

How many of you made a cool million after you started eating BP?

How many of you won a Nobel once you discovered MCT oil and began throwing it into your coffee?

How many of you can truly attribute any enormous success in life outside of quaint hobbies to your way of eating?

Fucking exactly.

Let's be serious here, guys. No one on top of the world got there because they eschewed the odd muffin. Acting like this diet is going to make you superhuman or seriously upgrade your "performance" (whatever the hell "performance" is supposed to mean, for that matter, because it smacks of slimy marketing speak), is more than a little disingenuous. Guys out there, working out of garages and living off of microwave dinners, have accomplished a good deal more than you or I likely ever will.

But it's precious how much we fret about the difference between one brand of gourmet coffee beans and another, as if our development of the Theory of General Relativity hinges on the choice. It's endearing. And a little sad, sometimes.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Glad this is being discussed, as I am in a similar boat and have been thinking a lot about this all summer.
  • Greg CarletGreg Carlet ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Follow-up question relating back to the original question:

I still drink a BP coffee almost every day. If I am a little less BP than I used to be, is this BP coffee going to kill me? Is this slow suicide?

Just some of the crazy thoughts that go through my head as I drink down my coffee at the moment. :wink:

• Then you gravitate to the things you naturally go to, for me, it's still 80-90% whole foods, it's that 20% that leaves me not craving, desiring, or hating anything, knowing I can eat anything I want, whenever I want. 

Maybe it's because my diet is usually on-point

I think this is the key right here. You won't eat 'perfect', whatever 'perfect' is, so stop trying.