What Is The Difference Between Xct And Boo?

I am new to the bulletproof lifestyle and just trying to pick up all my new habits as fast as I possibly can.

The last two mornings I have made my butter coffee with the XCT oil. But I know many people use the Brain Octane.

What is the difference? and am I still getting the same benefits?

I am pretty sensitive to caffeine and other stimulants so I am just starting out with 1 cup 8oz, with 1 tsp of the XCT oil. Should I add more?

Comments

• Hey!

The Brain Octane and XCT oils differ in the types of MCTs they provide. The Brain Octane contains 8-carbon MCTs while the XCT contains a mixture of 8 and 10-carbon MCTs.

Here is a link from the Bulletproof website that has answers to your question about the benefits of each oil: https://bulletproofexec.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201243424-What-is-the-difference-between-Upgraded-Brain-Octane-Oil-and-Upgraded-XCT-Oil-

It's best to start slow and allow your body to get used to it. Then you can add it in small increments when you feel comfortable. :)

Nicole

• I do not understand how Brain Octane Oil and XCT Oil can possibly be different if they have the exact same ingredients:  coconut oil and palm kernel oil.  I also fail to see how using them can be any different than buying those oil(s) in any other brand or store.  Can someone enlighten me as to how two products with identical ingredients can contain different length "MCT's"?

• I do not understand how Brain Octane Oil and XCT Oil can possibly be different if they have the exact same ingredients:  coconut oil and palm kernel oil.  I also fail to see how using them can be any different than buying those oil(s) in any other brand or store.  Can someone enlighten me as to how two products with identical ingredients can contain different length "MCT's"?

I'll describe coconut for brevity, but it's roughly the same with palm kernel: coconuts contain many types of fats, and the oils are not easily accessible, they're in the meat of the plant. It's not like maple sap where it just drips out of the tree.

So first, the coconut oil (not MCT, full coconut oil) has to be extracted. Some processes use chemical solvents, others use filtering, some use high heat (damaging the fats) and in some cases they just throw the coconuts in a pit and let it ferment for a few months until the oil comes to the top of the pit. Yum. The difference in extraction methods is what makes for the difference between "extra virgin coconut oil," virgin, and regular. So note that already the ingredients can be the same, but you could have damaged fats (from heat processing) mycotoxins (from pit fermenting) or problematic chemical solvents. In the first two cases, manufacturers don't have to put "toxins and damaged fats formed during extraction process" in the ingredients list. In the case of solvents, there is some government minimum parts-per-million of solvents in the final product, below which it's not necessary to disclose their presence. Here on the BP forum many of us find those minimums to be too high, but if you want to trust government bureaucracy on this one, feel free. 

But that's only coconut oil. To get MCT oil, a further refining process is used. There are more options like heat and filters for this process, but I believe the Bulletproof versions have the coconut oil put in a high speed centrifuge, where over time each chain of fat separates, just like the constituent parts of blood do in a centrifuge, or different weights of atomic material for that matter. Most MCT is refined down to 4 chains of fats (again, coconut oil has more stuff in it,) while XCT is refined down to the two most useful chains of fat, and finally, BOO is refined down to just one. That final chain of fat makes up only a small percentage of the total fats in coconut oil, which is why Dave chooses to market with that "16x stronger than coconut oil," claim. If it's only C-8 fat you're after, you do indeed get 16x more by volume than coconut oil.

So raw coconut, shaved coconut, coconut oil, MCT used in cosmetics, MCT used for diet, XCT, and BOO all started from the same ingredient list: coconuts. But they have a different end result.

It's worth noting that many other products have this sort of backstory with different ways the ingredients can be treated, and different un-listed additives or processing byproducts, and it's why one might say "this raw almond butter is better for you than that roasted almond butter," or "only buy extra virgin olive oil."

• J-rockJ-rock
    edited February 2016

I've been using mct oil in my coffee/tea every morning for quite some time now. I bought some BOO that should be arriving in the next couple days. I currently use 2 tablespoons of mct. Should I start at a lower amount to adapt to BOO or should I be okay using 2 tablespoons? Or would using a tablespoon of each be better to get both a cognitive and metabolic boost?