Never Drank Coffee, Not About To Start

Hey fellow Bulletproof fanatics, I realize I'm throwing a bomb here. But just as being bulletproof means not smoking, and not eating sugar - my logic asks me: why on earth would I start another addictive drug (caffeine) ? I have never been fooled by the "grown ups drink coffee" trend, so I have blessed my body with no intake of coffee throughout my almost 30 years of life so far.

Now I also realize, that the Bulletproof people wanna sell good coffee, and use "biohacks" to optimize performance throughout the day. But even though I can see the benefits of drinking coffee, I am not convinced that I should EVER start drinking it - I think my body is better off not consuming something that is definitely not paleo, the total oposite color of water ie black, cooked to boiling temperature, processed and quite frankly just as unnatural as smoking a jay. Feel free to try and change my mind.

Comments

• You do not have to drink Bulletproof coffee to be on the Bulletproof plan. Dave is a big coffee enthusiast, he found a concoction that he likes, and he loves sharing it with other people. Try using Upgraded Vanilla with melted Kerrygold, hot water, MCT oil, and some stevia. Blend it all together and you will get a lot of the same benefits. It will be like a vanilla steamer.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    I also dropped cravings for coffee once I switched to quality coffee, consumption went down as well.

You can do the same thing with teas. Yerba Mate would be cool choice.

You don't have to drink BPC at all, it's just a trick of sorts. Albeit a practical one.
  • Ok great. But what I still haven't gotten answered is this: wouldn't it be healthier for me to continue not drinking coffee?

The mct oil I got is odorless, practically tasteless, blends well by itself in pure water, butter blends well and goes with mostly anything, and cocoa powder I'm sure can be taken in other ways. So I, as a never-coffee-drinker don't get all the talk about coffee and blending mct and butter with it. If its about coffee like it is about wine for wine lovers, I get it. But if its about health and being "bulletproof", I fail to see why coffee has such a huge priority, with no mentions of not drinking it. It's like it's the norm that people drink it, but oh god forbid there's a bit of mold in it, thén it's bad...

What originally fascinated me with Dave and BP was how many things are the total opposite of the norm ie. what most of us have grown up with thinking was good for us. So on this point, I think I'm being very BP by questioning drinking coffee at all.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    There is nothing "unhealthy" about good, mold-free coffee. Mold is not a "minor" issue with coffee. It's the difference between "brain fog" and "ready to go."

I really don't understand your argument. It's just that people like coffee (including Dave) - so there it is. You don't have to drink it.

BP primarily is about food that is toxin free and of superior quality, that's it. Not coffee.

Caffeine is a stimulant and when you combine it with butter fats (for energy) and MCT oil (which gets converted to ketones which are primarily a brain/heart fuel by function) - it's just excellent for high performance. Not to mention the sheer convenience of it as a breakfast.
  • hzahza ✭✭
    Coffee has health benefits too. There are plenty of studies out there showing that it has a huge antioxidant boost, others showing reduced risk of diabetes, and plenty of others. Dave is constantly linking such studies in Twitter.

On top of that, BP is possibly a brain hack, beyond just the caffeine boost. I heard Dave in an interview say that there's speculation that blending the fats in coffee creates fat micelles that help the brain absorb--something, I didn't recognize the chemical name so I can't recall it now--that may help boost brain function. If I understand correctly, people are enthusiastic about BP because it makes them feel sharper mentally, not because they have trouble waking up without it.

But whatever. It's not mandatory. I doubt anybody here has an evangelical mission to covert you to coffee drinking against your preference. If you're interested in the possible benefits, keep an eye on Dave's Twitter feed; he's always adding something of relevance.
  • There are numerous health benefits to drinking coffee. Life Extension recently came out with an article that summarized some of the benefits:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2012/jan2012_Discovering-Coffees-Unique-Health-Benefits_01.htm
  • I don't want to drink coffee, either, but there are still a lot of promising suggestions here that I'm having a good time experimenting with. So far I'm pretty impressed.
  • I had bulletproof coffee this morning, this afternoon I blended butter w/ Rooibos tea, or South African Red Tea. Rooibos is naturally caffeine free. This is the first time I've made any butter tea but it tastes pretty good, for me I want to cut out caffeine in the afternoons so this is a pretty good substitute.
  • 'Jason wrote:

He doesn't want to drink coffee.

If I have more to gain than lose, and I dig the taste of BP coffee (one of the reasons I don't drink it is cause I initially didn't like the taste - love the smell though) and don't get an upset stomach and other disgusting side-effects, and it turns out that it's a good addiction to start on, then yes I do want to drink coffee.

Thanks for all the answers, I'm getting more convinced image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • 'Torben wrote:

If I have more to gain than lose, and I dig the taste of BP coffee (one of the reasons I don't drink it is cause I initially didn't like the taste - love the smell though) and don't get an upset stomach and other disgusting side-effects, and it turns out that it's a good addiction to start on, then yes I do want to drink coffee.

Thanks for all the answers, I'm getting more convinced image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

You've seen Dave's posts on coffee, right? In addition to the links above, check out http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee-5-reasons-you-can-perform-better-10-ways-to-live-longer/

I never drank coffee - ever - before this fall. I liked the smell but somehow was never interested in drinking it. I started BP coffee a few months ago and love it. I haven't felt any cravings for it when I'm traveling; unless I can make it at home with beans that I trust (and with my butter!), it's just not on my mind. Those who travel a lot and want to keep up with BP coffee figure out ways of doing it. I'm just mentioning this to let you know that as a newly converted BP coffee-drinker, I haven't suddenly become a caffeine or coffee addict... and I feel great!
  • Caffeine is not heroine bro haha
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • edited January 2013
    I'm in the same boat. I don't drink coffee, and don't think adding this addictive substance to my diet will be beneficial if I'm doing "fine" without it.

Whenever people talk about coffee though, I'm reminded of this NASA study thing where they tested various substances on golden orb weaver spiders, and they found that caffeine messed up their webs the most. LSD actually made their webs better image/tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Here's a link to the a picture of the webs including the psychedelics: http://24.media.tumb...emxzbo1_500.jpg

And here's a wikipedia article about it: http://en.wikipedia....rugs_on_animals

Edit: Yes, I'm aware we're not spiders.
  • Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Mikey, what if I watch the Spider Man movie while on LSD?

Before I joined the BP cult, or the "Cult of Dave" as it will be known in the history books, I did not drink coffee either. I gave it a shot, and it really does clean out the cob webs in your brain. It is powerful stuff! If you do not want to try it, do not worry. It is not a necessity.
  • edited January 2013
    Jason, I guess that would be one way to make that crappy Spiderman movie seem ok.

I guess I'll try the coffee out. I'm not that hardline against it, even though I sounded like I was. When I said I don't drink coffee, I have drank coffee, but I don't drink it every morning as a first port of call, like most people do. I sometimes if I go and write at a cafe will order a cold drip coffee, just to try it out. I do notice it does help increase the focus.

Maybe I should avoid coffee if I'm knitting things, which is never.
  • Just a quick warning: we had a fellow who came from a vegan diet of sorts, tried some BP coffee, and was out of commission for several hours. I highly recommend that you start with two teaspoons of butter with a single teaspoon of MCT oil.