Protein After Exercise

I read that, unless one is interested in bulking up, then one shouldn't eat protein after exercise. When someone exercises, P53 can come  in and take care of mutations. If you eat protein right after you exercise, you will negate the effects you want, since it will block P53.  

Now I'm confused...

Comments

• Would it be a problem if I waited a couple of hours after the workout?
  • hmm,  Dr. Mercola mentioned that you wanted to wait 1 hour after cardio/aerobic exercise to eat anything or take in protein.   the reason being he says to help keep the fat burning going after the exercise.   

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/02/16/what-you-eat-after-exercise-matters.aspx

so you are saying it doesnt matter even with Cardio/Aerobic exercises?   

• It completely depends on your body type. Some people can get 'bulky' if they aren't careful. Other people won't gain muscle in the same way. Now, I'm assuming you're talking about muscle. If you are exercising with the hopes of burning fat (only), you're going to want to make sure you do aerobic activities. Some post-workout protein won't be a bad thing. For some athletes, having a shake with balanced carbs and protein is essential to help them not lose weight. I will say this, no matter what, its crucial to get some food in your body post-workout if you want your body to recover quickly. Within 20 minutes. 

Another side note: Chocolate milk is pretty much the 'best' commonplace and affordable post-workout drink you can have. Very well balanced. but once again, it completely depends on what you're seeking to get out of a workout. I'd also suggest doing some research of your own. If you want to get really technical, check out Google Scholar.

Do you like writing about BioHacking or advanced health techniques? My website is looking for guest-post authors, contact me!

• It completely depends on your body type. Some people can get 'bulky' if they aren't careful. Other people won't gain muscle in the same way. Now, I'm assuming you're talking about muscle. If you are exercising with the hopes of burning fat (only), you're going to want to make sure you do aerobic activities. Some post-workout protein won't be a bad thing. For some athletes, having a shake with balanced carbs and protein is essential to help them not lose weight. I will say this, no matter what, its crucial to get some food in your body post-workout if you want your body to recover quickly. Within 20 minutes. 

Another side note: Chocolate milk is pretty much the 'best' commonplace and affordable post-workout drink you can have. Very well balanced. but once again, it completely depends on what you're seeking to get out of a workout. I'd also suggest doing some research of your own. If you want to get really technical, check out Google Scholar.

If only "some people get 'bulky' if they aren't careful" was actually true.

Do you know how many super jacked up guys there would be if it was this easy?

Aerobic exercise sucks for burning fat. Save your calories for resistance work and rebuilding muscle. Use Aerobic activity for stress relief.

Chocolate Milk is too much fat post workout.

Freelance Wordpress developer and wannabe powerlifter
    carlaiau.com

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I just hate the word "exercise". It sounds like something you have to do. 

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• I feel like 2 people with similar body type and same diet would look drastically different on different exercise programs.  Bulk is composed of fast twitch muscles right?  how many endurance athletes do you see who are overly bulky?  and I guarantee they are doing every thing they can to recover...and it is standard practice for these athletes to go with the protein right after working out.  Which, to me, atleast suggests that it is the types of exercise that creates bulk not the timing of protein.  One key is don't overeat protein, most meat eaters do.  Figure out how much you should eat to maintain your desired muscle mass and don't exceed that amount.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

For me the question is why train or okay, "exercise" if then you don't give your body what it needs to recover, adapt and get better? To me this is like sunbathing with sunscreen on: a waste of time because it takes a lot of time but doesn't provide the benefits people aim to get from it. And I definitely don't mean eating tons or things like that, but getting the nutrients which help the body improve.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.