Not Losing Weight On Rflp. Help!

In a nutshell:

I started at 250 lbs.  Lost 40 lbs. following low fat, high protein, low glycemic carb diet. Started Carbnite Sept. of 2012 to focus on losing just fat and retaining muscle..  Lost 10 lbs. in the the first 2 weeks.  Stalled at 200 lbs. for an entire year following the protocol precisely!  Made various tweaks to no avail.  Had hormones checked and everything, no issues.  After 1 year, I moved my carb refeed to once every two weeks instead of every week, lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks.

Continued to lose weight steadily about a rate of 2 lbs. per week.  Shifted to Carb Back Loading (so about 80g of carbs 3x per week, the night before strength training) and continued to lose about 2 lb. per week.

Made it down to 175 lbs.!!!!  My goal weight was 165!  Woo hoo!  Then life happened:  Broke up with my fiance, had to have hernia surgery, got laid off.  Diet went to hell (hello pizza, my friend!).  Gained 25 lbs.  Now sitting at about 205 lbs. 

Ok, time to get back into the groove...so on April 1st went back to Carb Nite: BPC during the day, 8 hours of eating grassfed meats, pasture eggs, some veggies from Noon to 8 PM.  Calories about 2000: 65% fat/35% protein.

It has been 5 months and I have not lost one freaking pound.  I tried all kinds of tweaks, even going one entire month without any carbs.  Then went to low carbs on Carb Nite, then went to high carbs, then low fat, high carbs.  My carbs on Carbnite is rice, potatoes, and dextrose primarily, though I will have some ice cream at the end.  The morning after Carbnite I weigh 205 lbs, the morning before Carbnite I weigh 203.  And that has been the pattern for 5 full months.  Strength training (stronglifts 5x5 3 days) with HIIT.  Then switched to a walking regimen with bodyweight exercises for one full month.  Still nothing.

So, I am like, screw this, I am going to a high intensity exercise plan (think Insanity) with a low fat, moderate carb diet.  As I need to lose the 25 lbs.

One last effort before I abandon the keto/low carb lifestyle:  RFLP.  I had been afraid to try it before, so said let me see if I try it for 3 days if that will jump start things.  I am now on day four and have only lost 0.5 lbs.  One 1/2 pound.  8 ounces.  Huh?  I am giving myself until Sept. 1, but what gives.  In all fairness, I had a Carbnite on Friday, about 450g of carbs and two intense HIIT sessions on Saturday and Sunday, so glycogen/water weight loss was probably not going to occur, but I thought something...

Any thoughts...

Comments

• Sorry, my stats:  5' 8.5" tall, weight - 205 lbs., about 27-30% bodyfat (size 38 waist)

• Agreed.  And that is what I was doing on Carb Nite, sans the carbs.  I did refeed on carbs once a week and would do my hardest workouts in the two-three days following my carb refeed.  I also drink a protein shake post workout.  For the last month, I basically stopped all exercise except some basic body weight stuff and walking.  Since I started RFLP, I stopped ALL exercise.  Still not one pound of weight loss.  Even with the low calorie that is a recent change, I was doing 2500 with 65% fat/35% protein, and at one point felt I was getting TOO much protein, as I was hitting 180 to 200 g  on my ULC days.  So I tweaked it down to 1g per lb of lean mass (about 135g)

Are you saying that I need to start taking in carbs again and up my exercise?

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015

When you are eating minimal protein and no carbs and high fat, I doubt further lowering your carbs and proteins would help. I would cut the fats and up the other two macros. Protein cannot be stored as fat, and carbs are harder to store as fat than fats. Stronglifts is great but you need to eat with it.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• How are others losing weight on Rapid Fat Loss Protocol? What are they doing that I am not?  If I remove every thing else from the equation (how much I exercise, previous stints with Carbnite, etc) and just focus on RFLP with no exercise, what am I doing wrong?  People speak of losing between 10-12 lbs. in their first 3 or 4 days on the protocol, and I have lost 8 ounces, closing in on my 4th full day.

Also, there seems to be little information on how many carbs to ingest on the refeed day on RFLP and how many hours you should eat.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I think those for whom the RFLP works are in the minority. Most threads just die off because the people can't adhere with it. Others give up because they are tired of yoyoing water weight. It does work for a few people, though, but there are better ways to cut fat.

I think you haven't lost because your glycogen stores were already depleted, therefore you didn't have much stored water to lose.

• When you are eating minimal protein and no carbs and high fat, I doubt further lowering your carbs and proteins would help. I would cut the fats and up the other two macros. Protein cannot be stored as fat, and carbs are harder to store as fat than fats. Stronglifts is great but you need to eat with it.

I thought fats are hard to store as body fat compared to carb. Please confirm.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

I thought fats are hard to store as body fat compared to carb. Please confirm.

Well, fat is already in fat form, it needs no costly conversion, it can easily sit down anywhere in the body. To store excess carbs as fat the body needs to "turn it into fat" first. So this is an extra step, I'm not sure how hard and costly it is for carbs but for protein it definitely is very hard and costly, so it's close to impossible to store protein as fat. Carbs should be in the middle somewhere.

• edited August 2015

After two years of pushing the bulletproof lifestyle/diet on myself and my wife... Ive come to the conclusion that the only thing that truly works when it comes to losing weight is.. *drumroll* counting your CALORIES!!

We have had the best success when we skip breakfast (fasting) and eat about 500 calories for lunch (usually the same lunch everyday, makes it less stressfull) and then letting go and having about 1200-1500 calories for dinner. This along with a responsible cheat day once per week has worked well. 

Kind of like the slow carb diet a la Tim Ferriss but with calorie counting. 

Now I might not feel as full as I did with more fat in my diet, and it takes a little more willpower, but the results are clearly better! So my friends, theres no such thing as a free lunch, start counting.

One more thing, when I dropped a lot of the butter from the diet and started putting more grains and various carbs in, I started to get some of my pains and aches back that I had before. So I upped my Omega 3 intake to about 5-10 g/day and the pains subsided again. Fish oil is da shit.