Bp + Exercise = High Blood Glucose Levels ?

Hey guys, 

I have been following BP diet for a few months now. I recently started noticing that my workout sessions have became more tiring. I feel extremely tired , shaky, maybe even a bit nauseated after my workouts. I'm not diabetic and Im generally healthy. 

I decided a couple of weeks ago to try to get to the bottom of this, so I got a glucose / ketone meter. 

This morning I woke up as usual, made my BP coffee (2 cups coffee, 1 tbsp MCT, 1 tbsp butter) then a couple of hours later went to the gym. I had an intense basketball session. Maybe about 20 minutes or so , or a bit longer. during which I was drinking water with some pink salt. 

I came home and since I wasnt feeling ok I checked my blood sugar and found it to be 7.4mmol / L which is 134mg/dl.  Ketones were  0.2 mmol/L.   I tried to lookup normal values and this seems to be much higher than Normal values? Am I correct? is this normal? 

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

I had a meal a bit later, Whey, Coconut milk, couple tbsp honey, blueberries and my blood sugar is around 8.3mmol/L (150mg/dl). 

I am starting to wonder what is going on and if this is related to my adernals or something along these lines. This has been a weird experience. 

Ever since i started BP i encountered another health issue which seemed to be really weird. not sure if its BP related or not but if you guys are interested or want to take a look i can share more info.  

PS : here is something that I found while researching. I wonder if it is related. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Comments

• How many grams of carbs/day? How many refeeds/week and how many grams of carbs/refeed?

Based on the evidence presented I would say you are suffering from hypoglycaemia and your body is releasing emergency glucose from your liver.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• Thanks Star Chaser. I think you have a good theory. I will try to validate this. I think the intense aerobic exercise triggered this for me. 

I have around 3 carb refeeds per week which I do usually on workout days. I have had carbs last night but not sure.  by the way  I retested 2 hours after my meal and I found me at 5.3mmol/L (95.4mg/dl) .  On Refeed days I usually get around 100 grams.

I'm thinking of running a few self experiments in the next few weeks : 

Experiment one : have a normal BP day tomorrow and measure my glucose through the day. I haven't done this before so this will help me establish a baseline. 

Experiment two : have a slow carb meal prior to my workout - to see how things change with this approach.  

Experiment three : going back to fasted workout and see if this happens again. I typically workout with weights, but today was basketball so I guess maybe since it is mostly aerobic that might have triggered this.  

Experiment four : have carbs every day, around 100grams and see how this impacts things. 

• If you are exercising hard and strength training 100g of carbs is not nearly enough. You are feeling tired and weak from a lack of carbs, up them slowly. You can probably immediately go to 1g of carb per pound of body weight and not have any adverse effects. So, if you are 180lb, start eating a minimum of 180g of carbs per day on training. Then, add 25-50g of carbs per week on training days until you feel better. Your workouts need to be fueled and this fuel comes from the carbs (glucose). Do not be afraid of carbs if you are relatively healthy, they allow you to train harder and become stronger and healthier! You can keep your rest days low carb but personally I dont, i just follow cals in vs cals out, and on rest days i eat less calories. 

Hope this helps! 

PS: You would probably benefit by reading up on some threads in athletic performance if you have questions about nutrient timing, supplements, how much to eat and what to eat, etc. 

• Thanks Star Chaser. I think you have a good theory. I will try to validate this. I think the intense aerobic exercise triggered this for me. 

I have around 3 carb refeeds per week which I do usually on workout days. I have had carbs last night but not sure.  by the way  I retested 2 hours after my meal and I found me at 5.3mmol/L (95.4mg/dl) .  On Refeed days I usually get around 100 grams.

I'm thinking of running a few self experiments in the next few weeks : 

Experiment one : have a normal BP day tomorrow and measure my glucose through the day. I haven't done this before so this will help me establish a baseline. 

Experiment two : have a slow carb meal prior to my workout - to see how things change with this approach.  

Experiment three : going back to fasted workout and see if this happens again. I typically workout with weights, but today was basketball so I guess maybe since it is mostly aerobic that might have triggered this.  

Experiment four : have carbs every day, around 100grams and see how this impacts things. 

You're on the right track with your experiments man. Don't be afraid of carbs though, make sure you try some experiments with carbs in the 150g-200g/day range, or at least refeeding with 200g+ once, twice maybe three times a week, preferably on workout days.

If ketosis/very low carb doesn't work for you, forcing it may break something haha.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram