Magnesium Testing

Any thoughts here on Magnesium testing?

Every 3-4 months I get a hair analysis, which usefully shows many minerals as well as toxic elements and additional elements. Besides showing the levels, it comes with a multi-page report which attempts to guide how one's diet should be adapted to regain balance. It is convenient to carry out without needed a blood sample and I can send in a hair sample for anywhere in the world and get the result by email about 2 weeks later.

My mercury levels were very high when I started doing these tests and are now being reduced considerably.

I also check my magnesium levels because if I don't take enough, then I get serious calf cramps before waking up.

My magnesium levels have not increased and are on the low end of the "reference range", so I have increased my Magnesium intake slightly.

I take 2x 1250mg Mg Malate (Source Naturals) mornings and 1x 1250mg at night.

I have now added a Sundown Natural product in the morning which I had available and which contains:

400mg Mg Oxide and Mg Gluconate

1000mg Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Gluconate

25mg Zinc Oxide

If I ever forget to take the 1x 1250mg Mg Malate at night then I invariably get a cramp or an indication that one is about to start.

I am wondering whether the hair analysis reflects my true Mg values, although my dosage 3.75g Mg Malate plus 0.4g Mg Oxide with Gluconate already sounds a lot?  

I am incredibly grateful for all those who dedicate their time and experience here in helping others. I once was able to do the same in several other fora, often spending hours on end answering questions, which in turn gave me great personal satisfaction. 

Comments

• Hey there,

That's not the best way to assess magnesium deficiency (or even reliable) - you should be getting an RBC magnesium test.

This interview with Carolyn Dean who pulled a lot of the work together on magnesium deficiency goes into the details of testing:

https://thequantifiedbody.net/magnesium-deficiency-dr-carolyn-dean/

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• Hey there,

That's not the best way to assess magnesium deficiency (or even reliable) - you should be getting an RBC magnesium test.

This interview with Carolyn Dean who pulled a lot of the work together on magnesium deficiency goes into the details of testing:

https://thequantifiedbody.net/magnesium-deficiency-dr-carolyn-dean/

Many thanks, I will listen to that interview.

You mention that it is possibly unreliable and I see in the overview that she does not mention hair mineral analysis as a means of testing. Would that statement be valid in general for this type of analysis?

I am incredibly grateful for all those who dedicate their time and experience here in helping others. I once was able to do the same in several other fora, often spending hours on end answering questions, which in turn gave me great personal satisfaction.