Staying Awake At Night With Adrenal Fatigue

Hi Guys,

I have trouble staying awake while night driving since 2011 or so.

Lately I found out, that eating a piece of chocolate (around 40g of sugar per 100g) keeps me alert and in a good mood for around 10 minutes.

A dextro-energy bar piece wears off fast and the effects are not repeatable.

I am not sure if it is the fructose part of the sugar, or something else in the chocolate that works for me.

Do you have suggestions on cleaner alternatives to this?

Comments

• Perhaps try dark chocolate. Or coffee.

Both not great at night, but better than falling asleep and crashing.

• gnoobergnoober
    edited September 2015

Hey Walter, Thanks!

Dark chocolate does not seem to work, sadly.

Coffee does work, obviously :) but not great to be able to sleep afterwards. :(

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.

long distance night driving? 

how often?

• This is one of the rare circumstances where i would actually recommend provigil. Ask your doctor *cheesy sales guy grin*

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.

few things scare me more than driving tired. 

I take a provigil when i'm headed back on a long drive the day before work.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

This will seem unhelpful, however if you're driving long distances at night because of your job, it's probably time to find a new job. If you're just driving long distances at night for the heck of it, well, stop.

There are hacks you can employ to power through, but most of them require the use of stimulants like caffeine or Modafinil. And that's not a good way to look after your adrenals when they're already fatigued.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Hey Walter, Thanks!

Dark chocolate does not seem to work, sadly.

Coffee does work, obviously :) but not great to be able to sleep afterwards. :(

Besides stimulants you can try to listen to energizing music and turning up the AC.

Other than that I'm afraid there aren't much clean alternatives to keep you awake when nature wants you to sleep.

• gnoobergnoober
    edited September 2015

well, provigil is an interesting option..

I am not doing this often or very late, but if I have to drive home after going to the movies, or a club- at around 1-3 a.m. for only 30 minutes, i still have this problem sometimes.

I assume the chocolate is working by blood glucose levels, and have not heard any other theories.

Do you guys know anything "cleaner" to raise blood glucose levels?

(I have tried using mct at night, but it does not wake me up sadly)

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    Bright light device. Basically Pulling an allnighter is Always Bad for the adrenals. You can also adjust your sleep Cycle entirely with Fake light and stuff.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Chocolate also has theobromine, a caffeine-like stimulant. Dark chocolate tends to have more.

Problem with these stimulants is they're also diuretics, which could be another problem during a long drive. 

• If it is merely low blood glucose after the club/movies that is making you sleepy see if raw honey will do the trick.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• it is not a long drive, an hour max.

dark lindt 90% doesnt do the trick for me sadly.

Bright lights from the cars in front of me might just be part of the problem, because the pupils are more stressed..

yeah raw honey is actually a cool idea, thanks :)