Upgraded Aging Fasting Glucose Experiment

Hello friends!

I have had consistently slightly high fasting blood glucose for as long as I've been playing with my blood glucose meter.  I am not diabetic and in decent shape.  I eat 80% bulletproof and almost no processed food and do a crossfit type workout about 3 times a week.  I have a standing desk and rarely sit.  

Despite being otherwise healthy my fasting blood sugar has been between 100-110 for a very long time and my A1c has been in the 5.5 range.  It was in this range while I was eating ketogenic and getting about 20g carbohydrates a day.  It stayed in this range when I tried to reverse any physiological insulin resistance I might have developed while keto and ate closer to 100g of carbs a day, mostly rice, beans, and sweet potatoes with the occasional tortilla.  

I started taking Upgraded Aging two days ago and intend to continue taking it in the morning with my other pills for 30 days straight.  I intend to maintain my moderate carb diet during this period because that's what I have been eating for the past month while I've been taking my fasting blood glucose every morning to establish a baseline.  

Has anyone actually had any good experience with Upgraded Aging (UA) and blood sugar?  What about any other possible remedies for lowering fasting blood sugar.  I would like to be in the mid 80's and feel like I have already done all of the easy stuff.  The input of the community is greatly valued.  I will post the numbers I've been collecting once I have been taking UA long enough to see if it changes anything.  

Comments

• Hey James,

A few things you can look at.

1. 1. Have you looked into adrenal health and inflammation levels? These can influence blood glucose - at this point you should check in with a blood glucose savvy functional medicine practitioner.
    2. 2. Bob Troia has experimented with Oxaloacetate (upgraded aging's active molecule) - discussed here: https://thequantifiedbody.net/n1-experiments-bob-troia/ (Note: I've interviewed Alan Cash, the guy behind Oxaloacetate, and it takes around 30 days before you start to see blood glucose impact - it's a really detailed interview - listen here)
    3. 3. How much protein are you eating (were you when you said you were ketogenic? Were you really in ketosis - blood ketones measured? - often people are surprised) People with more problems with their metabolism need to lower both carbs and protein to achieve lower blood sugar numbers- Jimmy Moore discusses here: https://thequantifiedbody.net/measure-ketones-jimmy-moore/

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• Good tip on the protein intake. A lot of people concerned with high blood sugar seem to forget that one and get confused when Dave recommends such a low protein macro % for people who aren't athletes or have equivalent exercise load.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• Thanks for the input guys!  I'm not in any significant ketosis currently. When I have done ketosis in the past I am typically quite low carb (about 30 grams) and also quite low protein.  In those days I eat essentially butter and some vegetables with a modest amount of meat at dinner.  I happen to love butter salt and veggies so this is an easy one for me to stick to. 

My inflammation levels (CRP) have been good for the past few years.  My latest blood work showed CPR 0.30.  This blood draw was about a month ago.  It was at 0.25 the year before that and in that same range the year before that.  

For what it's worth, my latest serum glucose was 94 after a 12 hour fast.  A1c is at 5.7 this year.  I believe it was 5.5 the past two years.

I'll be sure to take OA for thirty days straight before making any conclusions.  Do you know if it matters what time of day I take it?  I have been taking it in the morning on an empty stomach but could be convinced to change this easily.  

• James, it doesn't matter when you take it.

Two things Alan noted do make a difference:

• 1) the dose (how much you take). Some people are experimenting with extremely high doses to help treat chronic health conditions.
    • 2) taking sublingual vs. digestion.

See the link in my first post to get the details from Alan himself.

The Quantified Body Podcast 

Gain Confidence in What You Invest Your Time & Money In.

Learn from Data-Driven Experiments using New Tools & Tactics to Improve Health, Performance and Longevity

• Thank you guys, I always appreciate the reasonable and educated contributors on this forum.  I have essentially completed my experiment and will post something resembling a graph here in the next week.  The punch line is that I did not experience any appreciable lowering of my fasting blood glucose as measured with an at home glucometer. 

More info soon-ish.

• Have you tried ACV at bedtime? Worth a shot - helped me personally. I like the capsules (made by natural factors)

• I apologize it took me so long to post this.  I also apologize that I cannot figure out how to attach an excel file to show my raw data.  The conclusions of my blood glucose experiment are posted below.  From August 3-October 1 I ate approximately 100 g of carbohydrates daily.  This was to remove diet as a variable in this experiment and also to remove any "physiological insulin resistance" that I may or may not have developed from previously eating ketogenic for fairly long periods. 

I happened to have fasting bloog glucose (FBG) data from July so I included that in my overall research as well.  I took approximately 3 reasings with an at home glucometer shortly after waking.  It the measurements were very different I sometimes took up to 5.  Only the averages are reported but if someone is very interested, I can send you my excel file with all of the measurements. 

I haven't tried ACV for blood sugar but I'm open to trying anything at this point.  I'm fairly active, in good shape, and have eaten mostly bulletproof for about 3 years.  I am at the point of having to consider if I'm diabetic and simply asymptomatic because of my healthy lifestyle.  If anyone knows how to reduce fasting blood sugar when I already do cross fit 3x per week and don't eat sugar and generally don't eat more than 50g carbohydrates daily please let me know. 

White Elephant - Do you have a dosage and timing protocol for your ACV regime?

Average FBG without UA (July 8 - September 3)

Average FBG without UA (August 3 - September 3)

Average FBG while taking UA

First week of UA

9/3 - 9/9

Second week of UA

9/10-9/16

Third week of UA

9/17-9/23

Fourth Week of UA

9/24-10/1

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015

This article may be of interest, especially if you do not eat breakfast and have high morning fasting blood sugar...

Skipping meals, intermittent fasting, grazing, etc. or .... Circadian Meal Timing  

Basically it looks like he is saying that eating a (big) breakfast will improve fasting blood glucose (compared with skipping breakfast).  

he refs a few studies. i have only glimpsed, so do not know what constitutes a 'big breakfast'. 

A couple of quotes from the article; 

"Insulin sensitivity and fasting blood glucose also improved more with big breakfasts" 

"No statistical significance, but those assigned to big breakfasts ate slightly more but lost slightly more weight and body fat.  Fasting glucose also improved more"

"...those who ingested a greater portion of their calories earlier in the day lost more weight and body fat, and experienced greater improvements in glucose and insulin levels"

fake it till you make it

• Sorry it has taken me so long to reply! For the Apple cider vinegar you are meant to take it 15 minutes before a meal. Make sure to get the capsules (by natural factors) to protect your teeth. The dosage says 2 but i was taking 4 for months with absolutely no problem. I'm not large. Ceylon cinnamon, although a very basic recommendation, dose help too. Chromium never did much for me.

I've recently seen a tremendous increase in glycemic control by not intermittent fasting anymore, and instead doing a 24 hour water fast once a week. I usually skip dinner on monday and breakfast on tuesday - its very doable. 

I've also been experimenting with chaga and lion's mane recently. Although neither of these are really promoted for glycemic control, they are contraindicated for diabetics without medical supervision. But thats a rabbit hole... a very interesting one if you have the time. I'm loving them. 

MSM is also good for blood sugar regulation - and many, many other things. It's super cheap and safe. Get the Optimsm - used by Paradise and Jarrow. Its distilled MSM which is supposed to be better, free of contaminants.

I realize these are unorthodox suggestions but these have helped me greatly, and they won't hurt you. None of the "go to" supplements were working very well for me. Keep us updated and best of luck

• If fasting blood sugar is your main concern, you can also simply try taking the apple cider vinegar at bed time. but there are many who believe that a post meal reading is more important than your fasting number