Studying Behind Your Desktop

Already as a kid in school, I always had trouble staying focussed. My mind would race a lot, and the day in advance I would wake up at 4am when everyone was asleep, study in my room with a clean desk (very important to me), and just a pen and paper to make some notes.

However, I can't get away with this anymore, and I need to study/focus effectively behind my desktop these days. How would you guys recommend I improve my focus when I am sitting behind my desktop? For example today I had some tough material to study, and already after 10 minutes my mind wanted to start checking for e-mail. 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Rescuetime.com will lock you out of those pesky distractions. That's just treating the symptoms though. I don't want to start analyzing people off a single post but look into why you are having a hard time keeping calm and focused. 

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• I do have a hard time with that. Any suggestions what to do about it?
  • I consider the inner balance or emwave2. Does it matter?

• I bought the emwave 2 but kind of regret not getting the Inner Balance. It seems more game-ified. The most common reason I have found for people not being able to concentrate is high cortisol levels, usually caused by gut irritation or environmental stress.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• I'd say the waking up at 4am is a clue... this is a good video from Seeking Health that might give you some ideas.

https://seekinghealth.org/resource/cant-stay-asleep/

Make sure your diet is balanced (lots of healthy fats) and your energy levels are stable. You might have glucose imbalances that let your mind wander more. You might have cortisol spikes that are making it hard to focus. Either one can/should be improved by diet.

Inner balance is good to help get your fight or flight system more under your control. Unless you think of your lack-of-focus as your email trying to attack you, that's probably not it, or not the biggest part of it.

You can also try supplements like theanine to calm down a bit.

• I'd say the waking up at 4am is a clue... this is a good video from Seeking Health that might give you some ideas.

https://seekinghealth.org/resource/cant-stay-asleep/

Make sure your diet is balanced (lots of healthy fats) and your energy levels are stable. You might have glucose imbalances that let your mind wander more. You might have cortisol spikes that are making it hard to focus. Either one can/should be improved by diet.

Inner balance is good to help get your fight or flight system more under your control. Unless you think of your lack-of-focus as your email trying to attack you, that's probably not it, or not the biggest part of it.

You can also try supplements like theanine to calm down a bit.

This is a very solid response.

Only thing I can add to this ^^^ that might be worthwhile is checking out the pomodoro technique.

Do you like writing about BioHacking or advanced health techniques? My website is looking for guest-post authors, contact me!