Experience And Thoughts About Ketosis

Hello.

I am 20 year old and have experimented with ketosis for several months.  The purpose of this post is to share my experience and to get other peoples experience and scientific data mainly based on commenting the information below.  You are of course welcome to add additional information and express your point of view freely.

First of all, I have come to the understanding of ketosis being a biological recovery state.  I have come to this conclusion based on what I´ve read and slightly based on my experience and speculations.  I have also found remembering, focusing, critical thinking and mentally effortful thinking in general harder while in ketosis.  Ketosis makes me slightly more aware and therefore a better observer for example.  

I can say ketosis makes me smarter because of this but critical thinking becomes harder (Holding larger concepts in my mind becomes harder or "foggy").  Learning complex math for example becomes more difficult at times and it takes more time to comprehend it.  It becomes harder for me to recall words, hold memories in my short term memory and so on.  

While eating carbs in larger amounts, but less carbs than fat, my mind becomes sharper.  It is easier to concentrate intensely, recall word etc, learning and holding large concepts in my mind.  When I eat carbs, I eat low GI complex carbs (Quinoa, lentils, berries etc).  

My conclusion is a diet highest in fat, medium in carbs and lowest in protein would be ideal (Example: 60% fat, 25% carbs and 15% protein or 50% fat, 30-35% carbs and 15-20% protein).  This would be ideal for performing and receiving the repairing effects of ketosis.  What do you think?

Additional information:

LCHF food which I eat(Highest amount to lowest amount).  Fat; Olive oil, meat/fish and avocado, nuts(Almonds and walnuts)/eggs, Sunflower seeds/flax seeds/pumpkin seeds, coconut oil.  Occasionally:  Diary products high in fat.  Protein; Meat/fish, nuts/eggs, seeds.  Vegetables; Broccoli, spinach, avocado, peppers, tomato, garlic, onion, chili and more. 

All i drink is water.  I supplement with B-vitamins, multivitamins, omega 3s, ALCAR and occasionally potassium, sink, magnesium, iodine and vitamin C.  I dont do intense workouts while in ketosis, but I am able to.  I have a good sleep pattern.  I rarely drink alcohol.  My blood tests are good, but low in blood sugar while in ketosis.  

I think thats enough, but you are welcome to ask for more information.

-Fatima

Comments

• TDCAudioTDCAudio
    edited September 2015

it's an interesting idea that an eskimo and someone in the rain forest are never going to have the same ideal diet because their genes developed under different conditions,  so it may important for everyone to figure out these specific ratios for themselves. 

That being said, I have recently had a good bit of experience that has led me to a similar conclusion to yours.  I was eating quite well but still drinking alcohol every night,  which would seem to make it impossible to maintain any ketosis.  When I quit drinking and therefore eliminated my last source of carbs and sugar (other than veggies and fruit), after about a month my memory,  thought speed and problem solving abilities all significantly decreased...while my flexibility and attention span were better (as measured by my scores on the Lumosity games.  I also started feeling strangely tired and sluggish and for the first time I really, really needed my morning coffee

so what carbs are you experimenting with?

• Thanks for the reply.

I experiment with complex carbs low in GI.  Carbs low in GI raise blood suger less than other carbs and the conversion of complex carbs to glucose takes more time, thereby making it an more efficient energy source with a weaker crash.  All in all, healthier.  The carbs I choose to eat are: Red Lentils (very low GI, high in vitamins & minerals), quinoa, some beans (mung beans for example), berries, converted rice, dark chocolate (86%) and I want to introduce grapefruit to my diet.  

Be aware of legumes(lentils, beans, quinoa etc) because they are abundant in phytates, lecitins and some acids which are bad for your digestion and absorption of minerals and vitamins.  Legumes have to be properly prepared to erase most of these chemicals.  If you want to know how to prepare legumes, I encourage you to look it up. 

-Fatima

• Im a fan of the paleo diet which is not low carb according to studies. There is probably a reason you feel sharper eating carbs. To be frank, there is simply not enough studies to prove long term effects of HFLC (ketosis diet) majority of populations have not eaten this way for centuries. If Im missing something please inform me, I just havent found enough proof yet. I think its good that OP is aware of his health and how he is feeling on his particular regimen. I think people can get into traps where they are actually harming their hormones because they are deficient in 1 or 2 macro nutrient (because the diet says to eat this way!). Doctors will love to sell synthetic hormones just saying.

• Hei, steve001.

Thanks for the reply.

The paleo diet you mention, appeals to me.  And I would love to know what foods you eat, could you please specify what foods you eat?  Besides, I live in Norway and the doctor I use would not like to sell me synthetic hormones, but I agree that this is a known problem in other countries.   

-Fatima

• steve001steve001
    edited September 2015

For the most part I eat on the green side of the bulletproof diet food chart with the exception of black pepper and potatoes. Both dont effect me badly and black pepper has many benefits. I have extreme gluten sensitivities and because of the abuse done over the years of eating it I am treating my issues with SIBO protocols using low fodmap foods and taking anti bacterials. For macro nutrient intake I follow a model similar from the study I posted above 30-40% Fat 30-40% Protein 30-40% Carb. This way I am sure to get efficient amounts of all macro nutrients so I dont risk deficiency. I eat about 2400 calories per day. In the past I was having problems with low carb, and through self experimentation and thanks to many people on this forums pointing me in the right direction I found my sweet spot. I found this target before I looked at any study to proof this was actually very close to what our ancestors ate. It was because my biology agreed with this, and its now cool to find studies similar to my own conclusions. Im glad you have a good doctor :cool:

• A diet high in pizza is can be considered high fat, moderate carbs, low protein.

A diet high on donuts can be considered high fat, moderate carbs, low protein.

We need protein to repair ourselves!

• Interesting. My experience has been close to the opposite as I think much more clearly in ketosis and I can perform challenging legal analysis much better when my ketone levels are high. I also find that both my short term and long term memory has improved since being on a ketogenic diet. As for general awareness I'm not sure that I notice a difference from a carb-based diet.