Bulletproof Morning Fast

I want to maintain the 18 hour fast to help with weight loss. I have 25 lbs to lose. I also think I could benefit from Dave's recommendation for women over 40 adding collagen to the Bulletproof coffee. But will this break my fast?

Also, wondering if the following would break a fast:

1. herbal or green tea in the AM with stevia

2. adding protein after the shake (protein other than collagen, like whey protein)

3. bone broth after the coffee (made with just bones and vinegar, no veggies)

Or is there a way to test myself to see if the fast broke? Would that be testing the level of ketones in my blood?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hey!

If you are doing intermittent fasting, you want to only consume pure Bulletproof fats in your coffee, as protein and carbohydrates will both break the fast. So adding collagen or whey protein to the coffee would break the fast. Bone broth naturally contains collagen, which is protein. This, too, will break the fast. Green tea with stevia won't break the fast.

Dave does recommend adding collagen protein to the Bulletproof coffee instead of doing intermittent fasting in some cases in order to reset leptin sensitivity.

All the best,

Nicole :)

• Interesting. I didn't know that protein breaks one's fast.

Hi Joplin,

Dave doesn't go into too much detail as to the reason that the protein breaks the fast while the fats don't, but I think it may have to do with the insulin response that protein elicits vs. fat and the fact that digestion won't be "turned on" with fat consumption only. I believe autophagy happens if one is restricting nutrients in general, since AMPK is activated. Apparently protein restriction can turn on autophagy as well: https://www.bulletproofexec.com/what-is-protein-fasting-bulletproof-diet/

Have a great day! :)

Nicole

• Bulletproof coffee breaks your fast, because consuming anything other than water breaks your fast. That is why he calls it bulletproof intermittent fasting not intermittent fasting. You will not cause autophagy unless you are actually fasting, just abstaining from protein won't do it. Dave said so is not evidence.

The fact that you said that anything other than water breaks the fast is not evidence either.  Unless you can provide references to science to shore up what you said, and the fact that Dave has more social proof than you,  I'll take Dave's advice over you and advise others to do the same.

• joeld123joeld123
    edited September 2015

Somewhat on topic: Dave said that the only protein you can add to coffee, assuming it's hot, is hydrolized collagen but I've just been looking into it and universally it's said (livestrong and other fairly good resources)that heating up whey protein does not damage it's usefulness to the body. 

Also, Dave states all sorts of great things about intermittent fasting ( I believe that all the evidence is regarding true fasting not BP intermittent fasting.  I note it is differentiated on the webpage but it's deceiving.  I thought I was getting all these benefits but is there any evidence that BP intermittent fasting does one any good aside from the benefits of ketosis?