2 Concerns Before I Do The Rflp? Any Women With Experience Out There Or Looking For A Buddy? : )

Hello Ladies... I am fairly new to the BPD (just a lil over 2 weeks now) and this community... I have loved reading and following these posts during my first 2 weeks BulletProof... I was very impressed by how detailed some of these posts are!!! I am close to my fat % and weight goal (just 10lbs to go)... I was thinking about trying the RFLP for a week or so and see how I do... The last 10lbs are the hardest! I have done a fat fast before with great results (lost 5 lbs in 3 days of traditional FFD)... But after reading the BD book and seeing many posts here I can see how the supplements are key to help with detoxing... Also, I have been doing IF to increase my fat-loss for about 6 months, I think it is the best and I love what IF has done for my body and training regime...

I have done many detoxes before, but ALL of them have been food based. I really want to try the RFLP to hopefully target my last 10lbs... But I have 2 concerns... My biggest concern is the actually not the lack of eating on the RFLP (right!)... I am not worried about the hunger or the not eating actually, I am more concerned about my stomach bloating. I find if I do a IF (even with the BF Coffee) longer than 16 hours, say 17-18 hours, my stomach really bloats (like seriously distended), which I am assuming is my digestive enzymes starting to get bored and looking for food... Does that happen on RFLP, has anyone had this?

Second, I love to workout and this has been the hardest for me on the BPD... is working out less... I actually am extremely active, (by choice) and enjoy doing cardio, weights, yoga, pilates, cycling and have cut back BIG time... to just 1 workout a day Mon-Fri, rest on the weekends... and cut back on the time, trying to do mostly HiiT training, Yoga and Pilates for 45min instead of 1-2 hours... Can I even workout on RFLP? Has anyone had success still doing some exercise?... I think it might be too much on the body... If I don't workout I am worried about potential muscle loss and stress management.. Any thoughts? 

I'm grateful for anyone who has a moment to respond...

And if there is anyone looking for a buddy to try this let me know...

Thank you :)

Comments

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Best would be not to do the RFLP at all, mostly due to the two very valid concerns that you listed above. It's not worth it. You can get results with a calorie controlled food based diet and workouts. Actually, you will get better results by doing that because you will have more lean body mass and therefore a better body composition.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

• If your avatar is a recent picture of you I would say that the last 10lbs is all in your head.

Explore BP Radio/blog, browse the forums. As you've already seen there is a lot cool stuff on these forums. Topics I would recommend you research is macronutrient ratios and timing. 

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

• Thanks for the feedback... Reka, after thinking about it more, and having the same bloating happen today due to having to eat a late lunch, (4pm) I decided the same, to stick to the BPD 2 week plan and do it again... I didn't see too much fat loss on the scale but did lean out a lot. 

Bull of Heaven... I love the radio and listen to it a lot now...Yes, it is a recent pic but I still need like 10-12 lbs to get to my goal and want to lose like 5% more body fat... Currently I am at 22% and want to be at 15-17% for an upcoming shoot! That is why I wanted to do the RFLP... I will look into the macronutrient ratio and timing thing... Its so confusing bc this diet, or being "bulletproof" is so opposite of the way I have been eating for years!

• There is other bulletproof ways besides RFLP. RFLP works for some but others have side effects such as fatigue. I say stick with bulletproof food chart but experiment with different fat protein carb ratios. Dave asprey recommend 70 20 5. (High fat low protein very low carb). These ratios are not really scientifically accurate to the human evolution, IMO Dave should change these to a more ancestral model. Try this paleolithic model a moderate consumption of fat protein and carbs. And dont starve yourself. :-P

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

The only thing that works for me for fat loss is a modified PSMF. Basically high protein to save lean body mass, and little else, but I modified it to adjust to my high training volume, and I added extra carbs around my workouts. Now a day looks like 130-140 g protein, 25-30 g fat, veggies, little other carbs, and before and after my powerlifting sessions, 30-40 g pure carbs (like starches or some sugar source), that is around 70 g, concentrated around the workout. I also take some carbs before Muay Thai because I need it to avoid getting completely whipped. For my other trainings (jujitsu and swimming) I don't need extra carbs during this cutting period. A higher carb meal or a planned cheat in every week or two to boost my energy levels. I'm doing this for 8-10 weeks, looking to lose 15-20 pounds, then I will slowly increase my carb and fat intake. This has worked for me before, and it is working now, but high fat was very counterproductive for my body recomposition goals. I think for athletes this is a better way. One may only need high carbs for the intense workouts which require glycogen, and can stay low carb for the rest. It's not nearly as restrictive as RFLP, and better for energy levels. Actually my energy on ~1100 kcal is slightly better than it used to be on a high fat low carb diet with intermittent fasting and twice the caloric intake. I was getting twice as much calories, didn't train nearly as much, and I was still more fatigued than now.

You want to lose less than I, so you can probably get it done in a shorter time. :smile:

My other problem with RFLP is that the huge water losses and gains can really confound you and make it hard to gauge how much fat you lost. The constant carb depletion and refeed can be confusing, and yoyoing all that water weight is unnecessary. I prefer to keep my glycogen stores around halfway (to be able to train and improve and avoid fat spillover when I eat carbs), though it's still a lot of trial and error to keep them that way and pinpoint the amount of daily carbs needed for it.

• edited September 2015

Hello. Welcome to the forum.

Great that you're doing the HiiT workout! I do it to, the other days of the week I train a sport, so Im still very active. :)

So RFLP helps one detox? Im not so sure, I mean, sure the body constantly detoxes and the protocol makes the body use fat as fuel, but the goal is not to "detox" yourself out of fat during the RFLP in safe way, atleast.

I find if I do a IF (even with the BF Coffee) longer than 16 hours, say 17-18 hours, my stomach really bloats (like seriously distended), which I am assuming is my digestive enzymes starting to get bored and looking for food... Does that happen on RFLP, has anyone had this?

I guess you're saying that when you have fat-fasted for 16 hours (I dont understand why you count every minute) once you do eat you get stomache distension. I understand, I havent seen it so Im not sure its a problem, if you think its a problem then eat slower, you might want to try the less gassy or fiber-rich veggies on the scale.

Edit: OK, you have not eaten and then get bloated, yeah, what you said, eat something. Why do women always avoid eating? You think thats healthy? I would hate to date a starved brain. Jesus. I eat more than ever and still loose fat. And people around me loose fat, just by loosly tagging along what i do.

I think you should just stay low-inflammatory and high-fat, and keep body-building, give it 2-3 months and you will lose a lot of fat, Ive seen this repeatedly. You should loose fat during just two weeks of eating like that but you keep talking about "weight". Add muscle -> gain weight.

• edited September 2015

Second, I love to workout and this has been the hardest for me on the BPD... is working out less... I actually am extremely active, (by choice) and enjoy doing cardio, weights, yoga, pilates, cycling and have cut back BIG time... to just 1 workout a day Mon-Fri, rest on the weekends... and cut back on the time, trying to do mostly HiiT training, Yoga and Pilates for 45min instead of 1-2 hours... Can I even workout on RFLP? Has anyone had success still doing some exercise?... I think it might be too much on the body... If I don't workout I am worried about potential muscle loss and stress management.. Any thoughts? 

I'm grateful for anyone who has a moment to respond...

And if there is anyone looking for a buddy to try this let me know...

Thank you :)

Well, if you lived in the Arctic and your village ran out of food, and all you had was whale-blubber, you wouldnt be working out. The reason for that is survival. The RFLP seems like an experiment one should be very careful with, dipping ones toes in it, to begin with, and if the slightest bad reaction occurs; light headedness, dizzyness, tiredness and one gets worried then eat a dinnerplate of starch.

I wouldnt worry about the stomach bloating from fat-fasting, I would worry about mental performance, if it drops -> eat carbs.

Actuallly dont do the RFLP, just stay BP, ignore what the rest wright about "finding a better diet" its well-intended but incorrect. :)

• edited September 2015

Ok! Thanks for the replies Steve001, Reka and Water...

Steve001... Thanks for the link, and agree I have a hard time doing the really high fat like suggested, I feel too heavy with all that fat!

Reka... Thanks! That is totally how I used to eat for years until about a month ago... I had plateaued big time and was looking for a change and found BP. I was alread doing IF, but without BPC... Since adding BPC and more quality fats I have now lost a few pounds and what looks like body fat... my diet now has much less protein as before: Fat 80-100g/ 60-80g/carbs 30-50g... Question for you: If you only are doing 25-30g of fat, you must not drink bulletproof coffee; that alone with just 1 T of the MCT oil and Ghee is at 30g of fat... ??? I was doing the 2 week BP Protocol, but yesterday I added starch (white rice and a lil sweet potato) at dinner, like BP suggests, which was after my long workout, and didn't gain anything today... It wasn't a refeed or high carb day so I am going to keep trying that and see how I feel. I might keep adding the starch at dinner since I am working out. Have you tried that? How long did you eat BP before you saw changes?... I agree, a lot of what you lose on RFLP is water too. I wish there was an affordable scale I could have at home to tell you if you are losing fat/water... bc as a woman, we can go up and down a few pounds bc of water... :)

Water, (speaking of... nice screen name btw) I def. don't count every minute of my fast at all, I forget about it, actually bc Im pretty busy. I usually eat at 15 hours, but due to work/meetings, when I haven't been able too eat, I notice the crazy bloating, due to no food, and of course as soon as I can I DO eat... No starved brain here, I do eat, alot lol... Which brings me back to my original question, if anyone did experience the bloating on RFLP or if just eating the fat was enough... I am not obese/overweight at 20-22% BF. I just want to reach my goal of 15-17% BF as soon as I can.. I am thinking the RFLP is maybe more for a more sedentary person that needs to lose alot more fat, and have decided I not for me with my schedule? Interesting point about survival and not working out... ;)

• RekaReka ✭✭✭

Oh, so used to diet like this and then plateaued! That's a different story then. Probably you have dieted like this for too long, and your metabolism needs a break. Have you thought about increasing your calories very slowly, like by 100 per week, so your body will adapt to the higher intake and you will have a higher baseline, this will speed up your metabolism and then make your next cutting phase more effective.

I used to do the same, dieted for some years, then when I started eating BP I raised my fat intake too abruptly and ended up gaining unwanted fat. This is why I'm not drinking any BPC now that I'm dieting down. After I got back to my goal body composition I will slowly increase my calories.

I think you too may have arrived to a point where going stricter wouldn't bring good results and it would place too much stress on your body. Maybe take a time off dieting, try to boost your metabolism slowly and carefully, and then get back to it?

• Hi Sportyspice - I'm a little late to this conversation but your intro post really resonated with me. We sound a lot alike in fact :-) So I thought I'd share with you my personal experience with BPIF and BP RFLP. In short, I love them both and have gotten fantastic results that have seemed to "stick". A little background on me so you have a frame of reference, these are my current stats: I'm almost 50, female (obviously!), 5'3", 115 lbs, athletic and active (Running, Lagree Pilates, Biking, etc), ~18-20% body fat (estimating). My goals are: preserving what I have as I continue to age, increasing my fitness performance/lean muscle mass/lowering my body fat and, of course, increasing my cognitive function. I have no health issues (that I know of). I've been doing BPIF for about 2 months and I've done the BP RFLP once (6 days) so far and will continue to rotate it in on a regular basis for the detoxing and autophagy benefits, if for no other reason.

Ok, so with all that said, I think you were wondering about the exercise combined with the fasting. Once my body made the metabolic shift to burning fat for fuel (for me that was at about 1 week) and then adjusted to its new way of fueling (about another week or two after that), I have not had any issue whatsoever with my workouts. I intentionally backed off of them in the beginning based on the BP philosophy so I don't know how they may or may not have been affected early on. I can say that my workouts now are probably even better than before. I feel stronger (maybe it's mental, or maybe it's that I've become a little leaner - I don't know!) and perform better. 

On the BP RFLP, I followed Dave's recommendations to the letter - every supplement, timing, etc. It was fantastic. The benefits of extended fasting are vast and most people (especially here in the US) have not been exposed to that kind of education. I would recommend looking at Dr. Jason Fung's work in this area (he's from Toronto, Canada). He has a lot of great info published about extended fasting. Fasting has been around for centuries and the benefits are widely documented - we just don't seem to have the same level of awareness here that some other cultures do.

If I can share anything else about my experience that would be helpful to you, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best of luck with your journey! I'm absolutely loving mine!

-Veronica

• Stefan fGStefan fG
    edited January 2016

If your avatar is a recent picture of you I would say that the last 10lbs is all in your head.

Explore BP Radio/blog, browse the forums. As you've already seen there is a lot cool stuff on these forums. Topics I would recommend you research is macronutrient ratios and timing. 

I hate to say it but i think ^this...

I'd challenge you to requestion your authority to decide what an appropriate "goal" is..!?!...

Just because it's your goal does not justify it as healthy, doable and sustainable. Attainable maybe, sustainable!? Up to you I guess..

Reason > Goals. Innate physiological wisdom and setpoint > goals, made up in human heads influenced by media, glorified body types and photoshop ;)..

Hi Sportyspice -

btw if the picture is not your daughter:

kudos

<_<

• Sorry for the hijack here. :) I'm new also - day 9 and feeling good. Is there a specific thread about women and the carb up/protein fast day? I saw scattered posts, but I was hoping for one cohesive thread with tips for my first one tomorrow, as a woman. My macros have been stable over the past 7 days @ 70% fat / 20% protein / 5% carbs.

I'm not sure I've gone into keto yet - everyone says it feels so horrible and I haven't experienced anything beyond peeing a ton and a little dizzyness a couple days ago (have been sure to add salt to my meals, and have done a shot of pedialyte morning & night). Anyways, I feel good - less puffy. I just don't want to mess things up by carbing up incorrectly. Was planning on having white rice and some sweet potato at lunch and dinner tomorrow (trying to hit 150g of carb). I haven't had any alcohol since I started, but I'll have a serving of bourbon as well. 

• I'd go for >>>300g of carbs