Dietary Effects Of Using Just Bulletproof Coffee

Hi Everyone,

Just started drinking bulletproof coffee (I am on day 4) and am loving it. The blend I am drinking is from Erewhon and their blend is, "made with ghee, Bulletproof coffee beans and MCT oil (a concentrated version of the fat found in palm and coconut oils)" 

A few questions (please excuse my ignorance as I haven't done too much research yet):

1. Is taking a multi-vitamin (I take Mega Men by GNC) counterproductive when it comes to IF? I take the multi-vitamins in the morning prior to drinking the coffee. Does taking the vitamins constitute ending the fast?

2. Although the coffee makes me feel great, I feel "bloated". I have that bloated feeling like I have gained weight (or the feeling when you eat something greasy) and I can't shake it off. Prior to drinking the coffee, if I did feel bloated after a series of bad dietary decisions, I could work off the feeling after a few days. 

Thoughts on why this may be?

3. Are there any dietary benefits from a fat loss perspective to just drinking the coffee in the morning and doing the IF if I don't change the rest of my diet? I realize tough to answer without knowing exactly what I'm eating but my breakfast used to consist of a protein shake, a starbucks coffee with non-fat milk and splenda and a protein shake. These would generally get me all the way into lunch. 

Now the plan is to drink the coffee and do the IF but am concerned about the bloated feeling I am having. 

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you may have. 

Comments

• I am by no means an expert in any of this but I have a few thoughts ...

1. I have been studying this myself and there are a ton of answers and opinions regarding this topic. I will share with you what I have learned while sifting through the internet and maybe someone will chime in if I am wrong or missed something. Alright, it seems the defining factor for actually breaking a fast is calories and the magic number seems to be 50 calories, although some sites say less and I also came across a formula once, somewhere that said 9 calories per 22 pounds of body weight but I am not sure if that is actually accurate or not. So the only way I can see a multi breaking a fast would be if it was above 50 calories which is doubtful.

However, the vitamins A,D,E and K in your multi are fat soluble and that is why they recommend taking them with a meal. But you're fasting so you do not want to eat, right? Then You're thinking, hey! My BPC has fat in it! Which it does, both the butter and the MCT have fat in them but they also have calories and that is the wall I have ran up against. It is not the vitamins that can break your fast but the BPC. there is approximately 100 calories in one tbsp of both the butter and the MCT. If you use 2 tbsp like most do you have a 400 calorie beverage, well above the 50 calorie limit but on the bright side your vitamins should dissolve just fine.

2. The bloating is caused by the MCT oil, you are supposed build up to 1-2 tbsp over time to avoid it by starting out with 1 tsp and a few days later double it, so on and so forth.

3. I have no idea, I am following a keto diet, which the coffee with its high good fat content does benefit.

Hope this helps, good luck!

• romansbromansb BulletResistant

Hi Everyone,

Just started drinking bulletproof coffee (I am on day 4) and am loving it. The blend I am drinking is from Erewhon and their blend is, "made with ghee, Bulletproof coffee beans and MCT oil (a concentrated version of the fat found in palm and coconut oils)" 

A few questions (please excuse my ignorance as I haven't done too much research yet):

1. Is taking a multi-vitamin (I take Mega Men by GNC) counterproductive when it comes to IF? I take the multi-vitamins in the morning prior to drinking the coffee. Does taking the vitamins constitute ending the fast?

2. Although the coffee makes me feel great, I feel "bloated". I have that bloated feeling like I have gained weight (or the feeling when you eat something greasy) and I can't shake it off. Prior to drinking the coffee, if I did feel bloated after a series of bad dietary decisions, I could work off the feeling after a few days. 

Thoughts on why this may be?

3. Are there any dietary benefits from a fat loss perspective to just drinking the coffee in the morning and doing the IF if I don't change the rest of my diet? I realize tough to answer without knowing exactly what I'm eating but my breakfast used to consist of a protein shake, a starbucks coffee with non-fat milk and splenda and a protein shake. These would generally get me all the way into lunch. 

Now the plan is to drink the coffee and do the IF but am concerned about the bloated feeling I am having. 

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you may have. 

I'll chime in on #1. Multivitamins generally won't break a fast. I looked over the ingredients of Mega Men and it won't. There's no significant amount of ingredients such as amino acids which could turn off autophagy, and in effect breaking the fast as that is one of the main benefits from fasting.

Where I post my research:
    buildingabetterhuman.com

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci

•  

1. I have been studying this myself and there are a ton of answers and opinions regarding this topic. I will share with you what I have learned while sifting through the internet and maybe someone will chime in if I am wrong or missed something. Alright, it seems the defining factor for actually breaking a fast is calories and the magic number seems to be 50 calories, although some sites say less and I also came across a formula once, somewhere that said 9 calories per 22 pounds of body weight but I am not sure if that is actually accurate or not. So the only way I can see a multi breaking a fast would be if it was above 50 calories which is doubtful.

However, the vitamins A,D,E and K in your multi are fat soluble and that is why they recommend taking them with a meal. But you're fasting so you do not want to eat, right? Then You're thinking, hey! My BPC has fat in it! Which it does, both the butter and the MCT have fat in them but they also have calories and that is the wall I have ran up against. It is not the vitamins that can break your fast but the BPC. there is approximately 100 calories in one tbsp of both the butter and the MCT. If you use 2 tbsp like most do you have a 400 calorie beverage, well above the 50 calorie limit but on the bright side your vitamins should dissolve just fine.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about the calorie thing. The idea is to put you in a ketogenic state and avoid insulin response. If you eat fat it will not take you out of a ketogenic state and will not trigger the insulin response. So the calories in the bulletproof coffee won't harm your fast. If anything it will help you fast for longer and stay in ketosis. 

• To be honest I would hope I am wrong but the thing is that the whole 50 calorie threshold is referenced by Leangains the exact program that Bulletproof IF andany other IF programs are influenced by, I have researched, in vain, to find any reference to the fact that 400 calories of butter and oil not break an IF and have yet to find it. If anyone can disprove it, from a valid source, I would love to see it ...
  • sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

To be honest I would hope I am wrong but the thing is that the whole 50 calorie threshold is referenced by Leangains the exact program that Bulletproof IF andany other IF programs are influenced by, I have researched, in vain, to find any reference to the fact that 400 calories of butter and oil not break an IF and have yet to find it. If anyone can disprove it, from a valid source, I would love to see it ...

It sounds like you are getting stuck on the word 'fast'. With the Bulletproof IF the idea is keeping you in a state of ketosis, which the fat intake will not break. High enough protein intake would break the fast, as would adding sugar to your BP coffee, but the fat should be alright. Jason Miller could break it down with fancy numbers far better than I can off the top of my head.

• edited October 2015

It sounds like you are getting stuck on the word 'fast'.

Actually, I am not. We are now discussing different types of diets here.The Ketogenic Diet or Keto, Intermittent Fasting or IF and being Bulletproof which is almost like being on a Paleoithic Diet or paleo. These are all separate diets that can be incorporated together or done individually. You can think of it as Keto being about carbs (stay below 30 carbs daily), IF being about calories (stay below 50 calories while maintaining the fast) and Paleo being about quality of the food you eat.

With the Bulletproof IF the idea is keeping you in a state of ketosis, which the fat intake will not break.

Although you are correct, fat content does not break ketosis, following either the Simple Bulletproof Diet or the Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting Diet has nothing to do with Ketosis as they both have you eating from this Bulletproof Diet Chart.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Actually, I am not. We are now discussing different types of diets here.The Ketogenic Diet or Keto, Intermittent Fasting or IF and being Bulletproof which is almost like being on a Paleoithic Diet or paleo. These are all separate diets that can be incorporated together or done individually. You can think of it as Keto being about carbs (stay below 30 carbs daily), IF being about calories (stay below 50 calories while maintaining the fast) and Paleo being about quality of the food you eat.

I'd disagree with calling the Bulletproof Diet analogous to the Paleo Diet. Bulletproof emphasizes low-mycotoxin and low-inflammatory foods. The reason I said you were getting hung up on the word "fast" is because in this discussion it depends entirely upon the type of fasting being done. If you are referencing "Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting" then the protocol is specifically designed to work with Bulletproof Coffee and would therefor not be derailed by the butter and MCT oil in said coffee. (while other types of fasting may actually be derailed by said coffee)

Although you are correct, fat content does not break ketosis, following either the Simple Bulletproof Diet or the Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting Diet has nothing to do with Ketosis as they both have you eating from this Bulletproof Diet Chart.

attachicon.gifpaleo.JPG

You can not maintain ketosis eating these foods.

I thought you were referencing the butter and oil in your Bulletproof Coffee breaking the fast, are you having these with your coffee as well?

If you look into Bulletproof IF, you are recommended (second paragraph) to become familiar with the Leangains site (Actually, anyone talking about IF referances that site often). 

The section right below the one you referenced one explains the differences:

Introducing Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting

Bulletproof Fasting is the same as intermittent fasting, except you consume a cup of Bulletproof Coffee in the morning. The healthy fats from grass-fed butter and MCT oil give you a stable current of energy that sustains you through the day. The ultra low toxin Upgraded Coffee beans optimize brain function and fat loss with high octane caffeine. The MCT oil also serves to increase ketone production and boosts your metabolic rate by up to 12%. This drink is so filling, we’ve had clients who drank one cup of Bulletproof Coffee in the morning and didn’t feel like eating until mid afternoon. Adding extra XCT oil will promote ketogenesis (the formation of ketones) and provide more of a mental kick.

I'm not sure now exactly what your question was. I thought you were wanting to know if the 400 calories from butter and MCT oil would break your fast. I think the issue here is qualifying what type of fasting you are wanting to do:

Bulletproof Intermittent Fast

Intermittent Fast

Old School Biblical Fast

Vision Quest Fast

Driving Real Fast

I have the feeling that Bulletproof IF and just Intermittent Fast are being conflated here and that's the source of the miscommunication.