Now butter ISN'T better than marg:

Advice U-turn after scientists find reducing

saturated fat DOES slash the risk of heart disease

• Study casts doubt on research which promoted return of butter and cream

• Advice for decades was to cut down on meat and dairy high in saturated fat

• More recently, many studies have promoted return of butter and cream 

• Harvard scientists now say saturated fat does up the risk of heart diksease

By BEN SPENCER MEDICAL CORRESPONDENT FOR THE DAILY MAIL

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3252228/Now-butter-ISN-T-better-marg-Advice-U-turn-scientists-cutting-saturated-fat-DOES-slash-risk-heart-disease.html#ixzz3n3ioh2fa 

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭

Am I blind or does this article not include a link to the scientific research paper?

In other news today I found an article that specific short chain fatty acids reduce inflammation in multiple sclerosis. The results will soon be published in the journal "Immunity".

http://www.dmsg.de/multiple-sklerose-news/index.php?w3pid=news&kategorie=forschung&anr=5733

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• Well, I'm convinced. We need to come up with a margarine coffee recipe.  Hmm, maybe instead of beans replace it with instant powdered flavoured coffees.  This way you get the goodness of sugar, nondairy creamer (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, corn syrup solids, sodium caseinate (from milk), dipotassium phosphate, mono- and diglycerides, soy lecithin), instant coffee, sodium citrate, natural and artificial flavor.  All the good stuff!  (That's the ingredients list for General Foods Cafe Vienna)

• In spite of the lack of a link to the Scientific research study, in spite of the ridiculous misspelling of the word "disease", I still find this troubling, because I am increasingly unsure about who to trust. 

• The effect saturated fat has very much depends on the other macro nutrients. Studies with processed carbs in combination with saturated fats do raise some concern. The sum of the two cannot be too high. With low carb the body burns fat much more efficient. The human body consist app of 15% polyunsaturated fat and about equal amounts of mon and saturated fat. If you keep that ratio and stay away from processed carbs most people get dramatic improvements in risk profile. If you stick to grass fed (or wild) meat and vegetables you will meet the above criteria. Studies with these types of food outperform all other diets (including the mediterranean diet and heart "healthy" diets recommended by health care professionals). 

Which Factors are Most Important for Strength Development? Find out on this episode with Black Belt Nutrition on Super Human Radio 

The 5 Best & Worst Supplements - A free insider report from Black Belt Nutrition

3 Steps to become a master Bio-Hacker - Part 1

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

In other news: Elvis Presley Comes Out Of Hiding Aged 80: “I Felt It Was Time To Come Back”

The lesson here? Consider the source. *cough*Health Ranger*cough*

• Jason HooperJason Hooper ✭✭✭
    edited September 2015

Another observation that I found with the studies demonizing saturated fats are they they are all using a +25% reported caloric intake.  I have a couple of issues with this.  First, the actual intake is almost always higher than reported intake.  Secondly, the carbohydrate chosen is usually fructose.  I would love to take a look at more biomarkers from the "muffin study."  I am interested in LPS, NOSx, CYP3, etc. markers after a few months of this.  I do not believe that they even scratched the surface.

Now, we have to consider the manipulation of microflora overgrowth in the upper GI verses the impact of lipids in the small intestine.  Several species within the Clostridium genus are able to use the P6F pathway in conjunction with linoleic acid to synthesize oleic acid with relatively high efficiency in the reduction of the 9-cis double bond in an anaerobic environment.  Whereas, in the human oral cavity permeability is much more common with fructose raising inflammatory markers.  I doubt that any lipid choice is going to have a significant impact there.

We are not digging deep enough.

The effect saturated fat has very much depends on the other macro nutrients. Studies with processed carbs in combination with saturated fats do raise some concern. The sum of the two cannot be too high. With low carb the body burns fat much more efficient. The human body consist app of 15% polyunsaturated fat and about equal amounts of mon and saturated fat. If you keep that ratio and stay away from processed carbs most people get dramatic improvements in risk profile. If you stick to grass fed (or wild) meat and vegetables you will meet the above criteria. Studies with these types of food outperform all other diets (including the mediterranean diet and heart "healthy" diets recommended by health care professionals). 

• The Daily Mail usually lacks a certain, how can I say, nuance. 

• Who fucking knows.... all I know is at nearly 43 I feel fucking great on butter!

Katolotus

MMA Fighter

SUCCESS: A lot of little things done well

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I am increasingly unsure about who to trust. 

Don't "trust" anyone implicitly. IMO, this matter shouldn't involve trust or belief. Just facts. Check out the underlying science and come to your own conclusions so that you aren't swayed by sensational headlines, you know? I don't mean that in a condescending way or anything, but if you learn to poke holes in crappy studies and articles you'll get a better feel for what's legitimate. The only people I tend to trust are people like Mark Sisson, Dave, certain forumers, etc, and that's only because they can be consistently fact-checked and (more often than not) their stuff pans out. Even then, they aren't infallible, so caveat emptor and all that. We've gotta think critically about everything we read, no matter who it's coming from. It can be hard work, but it's also rewarding.

Then again, I'm probably a lot less thorough in this way than a lot of the posters here  :lol:

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Don't "trust" anyone implicitly. IMO, this matter shouldn't involve trust or belief. Just facts. Check out the underlying science and come to your own conclusions so that you aren't swayed by sensational headlines, you know? I don't mean that in a condescending way or anything, but if you learn to poke holes in crappy studies and articles you'll get a better feel for what's legitimate. The only people I tend to trust are people like Mark Sisson, Dave, certain forumers, etc, and that's only because they can be consistently fact-checked and (more often than not) their stuff pans out. Even then, they aren't infallible, so caveat emptor and all that. We've gotta think critically about everything we read, no matter who it's coming from. It can be hard work, but it's also rewarding.

Then again, I'm probably a lot less thorough in this way than a lot of the posters here  :lol:

Thanks for this good advice, Skeletor. Since having stumbled upon this forum one year ago I have learned so much from those people you mentioned, as well as Dr. Paul Jaminet.  I have probably learned as much or more from some of the posters here, including you!  Since living this Bulletproof lifestyle, I feel great and haven't been sick even once.  I worry more about loved ones of mine who are battling painful and challenging conditions...I want to learn so I can help them also.  Not having any background in science, such terms as "abstract", "n=1", "peer reviewed source", "randomization", etc. were completely foreign to me.  You're right, it has been hard work searching and learning, but very rewarding - a great adventure!  One of the challenges for me is when seemingly reputable studies come up with opposing and contradictory "facts". 

Don't "trust" anyone implicitly. IMO, this matter shouldn't involve trust or belief. Just facts. Check out the underlying science and come to your own conclusions so that you aren't swayed by sensational headlines, you know? I don't mean that in a condescending way or anything, but if you learn to poke holes in crappy studies and articles you'll get a better feel for what's legitimate. The only people I tend to trust are people like Mark Sisson, Dave, certain forumers, etc, and that's only because they can be consistently fact-checked and (more often than not) their stuff pans out. Even then, they aren't infallible, so caveat emptor and all that. We've gotta think critically about everything we read, no matter who it's coming from. It can be hard work, but it's also rewarding.

I know that this brand name will cause some people to see red, but read the entire post before you give yourself an aneurysm guys.

Certain products from Onnit.com have great documentation and sources. Certain products. As a consumer Onnit has been excellent at answering questions and providing quality products, fixing my order issues and delivering on time. So has Bulletproof and PrimalBlueprint. What really impresses beyond that with a few Onnit products is the source documentation and their chosen proprietary methods for creating certain raw compounds used in their products. Again, I'm not speaking at all about the individual representatives of the company or anyone's personality or dealings with other companies. Personal things like that do not impact their product quality, and on most products they source great quality and give you the links. (or you can Google the brand name and find it immediately) 

One other thing, Onnit in particular uses a phenomenal manufacturer for their basic t-shirt. This is insanely odd. I've never found a great-fitting logo t-shirt before. Really the only thing that could make their basic logo shirt better is if it had hemp/linen/rayon in it, or more color choices, but that ruins the MSRP. Their more expensive shirt apparently has better cotton and more color choices, but I haven't tried it.

Onnit.com

Well, it's been good, sparefilms.

ban_zpsahpfmwmp.gif

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

edited October 2015

...Vaccines are beneficial. GMOs are alright. One World Government would be a good thing.  Cats carry brain parasites. Dogs are better than cats. New Zealand has better butter than Ireland. Batman could totally beat Superman. Superman could beat up Goku. Steel beams don't have to melt for a skyscraper to collapse. Contrails are not chemtrails. FEMA does not have concentration camps. Jade Helm was just a training exercise. You can't tell the difference between 720p and 4k on a home television set. Halo is more fun than Call of Duty. Star Trek produced more beneficial societal change than Star Wars. Right to choose is the right choice. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a good Spider-Man movie. Didn't feel a thing from Unfair Advantage. Dave's Upgraded Beans taste bland.

giphy.gif

This thread is about to explode. o_o

This thread is about to explode. o_o

Gooooood...

giphy.gif