Gut Health

I haven't found an extensive list of information on this specifically, so I put the question out there: can we make a thread to collate the information?

Due to the problems that can occur with an unhealthy gut (poor absorption of nutrients / supplements), I figure it's important for most new BP people to consider.

Thanks to Suntoucher, we've see L-glutamine recommended. Also, Tim Ferriss suggests the same thing.

What about probiotics?

Prebiotics?

Other supplements?

Different types of problems that can occur?

Quantitative methods to diagnose these?

Anecdotal ways to diagnose?

Different solutions for these problems?

I hate the term, but I guess you could say that I'm "raising awareness" of the issue!

Any further thoughts?

No sorcery, just science. 

Comments

• I agree that gut health is extremely important! The problem is that there is so many microorganisms and every person is different. If we really come up with a comprehensive method and get a lot of people to participate, we can probably learn a lot. When I was having digestion issues, I nailed it down by eating the same food for two weeks strait until I could figure out what was bothering me. I was considering reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Plan-Eliminate-Surprising-Healthy-Fat--/dp/1455515485/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1357647160&sr=1-1&keywords=Lyn-Genet+Recitas

Although I disagree with just about everything in it, the bio-hacking concept on gut flora intrigues me. I would like to eventually design a protocol that uses the same principal, but doing it in a Bulletproof way.
  • MaverickAzzMaverickAzz Powerful
    I'm going to go and have a chat to my current doctor first and get their opinion on what can be done. Leon posted a link for another Sydney doc that seems very open-minded, so if mine draws blanks - I'll go there.

I've got some of these bad boys sitting in front of me, however, I think I want more information / opinions from the doctor about what I could potentially have and how to test for it before I start pummelling myself with a treatment.

http://www.iherb.com...-60-Vcaps/19518

Daily serving suggestion is 1 cap. I was going to pump 3 before each meal. But again, how would I know it's working? So I think I'll keep them on the shelf until I know more.

And you're exactly right - it IS extremely important. A comprehensive protocol is a great idea!

• Alright, Aaron. You take care of stuff with your doctor, and I will get to work on a protocol. If we get enough participants, we can classify certain sub-types and look at diet based reactivity to predict the strains of flora in the gut. For it to really be comprehensive, we will need to address a number of variables and try not to overlook anything, and manage our assumptions!
  • edited January 2013
    I have been researching this myself on and off for a while. I discovered some key components to healing your gut, google these to discover more about them. Dave has talked on the podcast about Glutamine, which is believed to be important for the repair of gastrointestinal cells - so start there.

Pistacia lentiscus (mastic tree) gum oleoresin

Curcuma longa (turmeric) rhizome

Aloe barbadensis (aloe) leaf inner

Ulmus rubra (slippery elm) stem bark inner

Glutamine

Citrus bioflavonoid extract

Pectin (apple).

Ideally want to repair the gut first before taking probiotics, as they can create a kind of film or protective surface over the gut. I am just about to experiment myself with these ingredients, so will keep you posted.
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    If you really want to go deep in this, dig into Chris Kresser's stuff. He's the "gut health guy." He's fundamentally paleo, but I'm sure you can pick some neat hacks in his material.

I've also read somewhere that magnesium in the gut is helpful (in light of leaky gut, etc). Particularly the Oxide form (which is poorly absorbed). But you'll have to verify this.
    I've seen that name before. Cheers dude, I'll go over his material soon and report back.

• Thanks guys. I have been taking Glutamine on an empty stomach 3x/week. Sounds good?

any other suggestions?
    'Jblock' wrote:

Thanks guys. I have been taking Glutamine on an empty stomach 3x/week. Sounds good?

any other suggestions?
    Probably not enough if you have gut issues. I'd take like 40g/day (10g each time) if I had gut problems. For maintenance perhaps - fine.
  • 'DrNick' wrote:

I have been researching this myself on and off for a while. I discovered some key components to healing your gut, google these to discover more about them. Dave has talked on the podcast about Glutamine, which is believed to be important for the repair of gastrointestinal cells - so start there.

Glutamine

Pectin (apple).

Ideally want to repair the gut first before taking probiotics, as they can create a kind of film or protective surface over the gut. I am just about to experiment myself with these ingredients, so will keep you posted.

That is a very comprehensive list. Thanks for sharing it with us. For troubleshooting the gut, would it not be best to simplify things by eliminating foods rather than adding supplements? Then, once things are stable, start supplementing one by one?
  • http://chriskresser.com/paleo-diet-challenges-solutions-ii-its-all-about-the-gut
    If you really want to go deep in this, dig into Chris Kresser's stuff........
  • edited January 2013
    Check out these citizen science gut microbe projects going on.

uBiome -- Sequencing Your Microbiome

American Gut - what's in your gut?

I signed up for the Quantified uBiome package before reading about the American Gut project. I might have chosen it if I knew about both options.

• Probably not enough if you have gut issues. I'd take like 40g/day (10g each time) if I had gut problems. For maintenance perhaps - fine.

So 4 pills a day (that are 10g each?). At what times of the day do you recommend? Thank you for this information
    'Jblock' wrote:

So 4 pills a day (that are 10g each?). At what times of the day do you recommend? Thank you for this information
    It's usually sold as powder. So, 10g spaced equally.
  • Okay, so apparently Jeremy is some kind of prophet or something because the latest podcast was devoted entirely to uBiome. That will take a lot of the guess work out of my protocol.
  • edited January 2013
    Jason, I agree, on the guesswork not the prophet. image/icon_razz.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':-P' />

Gut health is next up on my list. In reality it should be first as it's central to nutrient absorption making everything else we do more affective.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    edited January 2013
    'DrNick' wrote:

Glutamine

Pectin (apple).

Yes, I have herd of these to repair the gut. Before I got all into Bulletproof, I was haunted by H. Pylori, or at least, that's what I think was killing me. What ever it was, it was destroying me, every time I would eat or not eat, I would feel drunk and get rapid heart beats. After antibiotics it went away but it something was always lingering. It actually came back recently and listening to Paul Jiminet, he believes Ketones feed certain pathogens so there is a whole new window opening for me and the topic of re-carb feeding. I ended up buying MANUKA HONEY because I didn't want to get antibiotics, that was my first biohack ever, all on my own =). Manuka honey is honey from the Manuka flower which has strong antibacterial properties. I have gone down the list of things mentioned in the quote but never fully took them on. I ordered some probiotics off bulletproof and can't tell if it's helping. I just started taking 40-60G of glutamine (Jarrow) 4 days ago and I think it did help. I need to test my gut function but I don't know how, I'm going off feeling and I'm super sensitive when It comes to my gut. I really destroyed it in the past. I find it super interesting and logical to not take probiotics until the gut is healed.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

Latest podcast, Dave said he's got a gut health post ready to go! Can't wait!

• I've started with Betaine HCl, undecynic acid, and later added bee propolis and probiotics. Hope that I'll see more convincing results within a month; I have skin-problem I think are related to my gut health. It does seem to improve, however, sometimes the problems just flare back up.

I start in the morning an hour before eating with probiotics, make a BP coffee and consume it with betaine HCl, and in-between meals I take or undecynic acid or bee propolis. There are studies for both latter substances concluding that they benefit the gut flora.

• It's usually sold as powder. So, 10g spaced equally.

I have pills actually, haven't seen the powder. So I should take one pill 3x a day before meals?
  • 'Jeremy wrote:

Check out these citizen science gut microbe projects going on.

uBiome -- Sequencing Your Microbiome

American Gut - what's in your gut?

I signed up for the Quantified uBiome package before reading about the American Gut project. I might have chosen it if I knew about both options.

Strange that there would be 2 emerging companies doing the exact same thing, with the same strategy for funding? LMK how this turns out before I spend $75 plus!
  • 'Olav' wrote:

I've started with Betaine HCl, undecynic acid, and later added bee propolis and probiotics. Hope that I'll see more convincing results within a month; I have skin-problem I think are related to my gut health. It does seem to improve, however, sometimes the problems just flare back up.

I start in the morning an hour before eating with probiotics, make a BP coffee and consume it with betaine HCl, and in-between meals I take or undecynic acid or bee propolis. There are studies for both latter substances concluding that they benefit the gut flora.

Which brands do u use?
  • Aaron, have you been to your doctor yet? Did they test you for H. pylori?
    I haven't. I'm planning to go on the weekend, but I'll have to call and see if she's available.

• Alright. I have to look after my comrades in Australia, you know. If I have learned anything from playing Risk, it is to move to Australia when the uprising happens.

Alright. I have to look after my comrades in Australia, you know. If I have learned anything from playing Risk, it is to move to Australia when the uprising happens.

I always try to grab South America first (grass is always greener, huh?). As it gives a much more offensive position image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• I am hoping for the best. I have been looking at some Chris Kresser articles as suggested by others. He has an interesting perspective when it comes to pathogenic bacteria reacting with the body's ability to produce enough stomach acid. He suggests that you should basically nuke them with large doses of hydrochloric acid, but I was thinking of an alternative method. Mop them up with some porous, negatively charged minerals, then repopulate your gut with the good guys. I have also been researching how diverse microorganism populations react to diet. There are some bizarre food triggers and it takes some "hacking" to figure out what is in your body, and how to fine tune your body so that they work for you and not against you.
    I think I'm waiting for Dave's blog post on gut health, have a chat with the doc, and then re-visit the protocol.

If Dave doesn't post it this week, then I'll just start L-glutamine, pending the doctor visit.

• L-glutamine is good stuff. I take it every day with some MCT oil. I had some gut issues before and after my surgery, so I know how frustrating it can be. Hang in there, Aaron!

• L-glutamine is good stuff. I take it every day with some MCT oil. I had some gut issues before and after my surgery, so I know how frustrating it can be. Hang in there, Aaron!

How much and when are u taking and what brand?