L-Glutamine?

SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Hey, some questions for those of you who've used l-Glutamine:

I've been taking ~15-20 grams of l-Glutamine powder a day to heal up my gut and put a stop to a long-standing skin condition, seborrheic dermatitis. It seems to be working extremely well and I'm thrilled with my results. I have some questions, though.

Can I take it with food, or is it better on an empty stomach?

Can I throw it in a whey shake, or will it be better absorbed solo?

When this skin condition finally clears up, should I still continue taking the l-Glutamine? Is it a good daily supplement in the long-term?

Can it be added to tea or coffee, or is heating it no bueno?

Thanks, ya'll~

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

Comments

• Jason MillerJason Miller Mother nature isn't stupid mod
    It's just an amino acid so you can take it how, when, and with what you want, that should give you more than enough options to not have to add it to tea or coffee (just in case).
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • John BrissonJohn Brisson The Legend Formerly Known as Ron Swanson ✭✭✭

Can I take it with food, or is it better on an empty stomach?

If you want it to mainly affect the gut you want to take it with food. There is also less chance if you take it with food that it will contribute to increased glutamate levels in the brain.

Can I throw it in a whey shake, or will it be better absorbed solo?

Yes

When this skin condition finally clears up, should I still continue taking the l-Glutamine? Is it a good daily supplement in the long-term?

No, get your glutamine from whey protein and meat.

Can it be added to tea or coffee, or is heating it no bueno?

I would not heat it.

My book Fix Your Gut, is offered on Amazon for $9.99.

I also offer coaching:  http://fixyourgut.com/health-coaching-information/

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

http://www.fixyourgut.com

• I always thought aminos should be taken away from protein for optimal absorbtion. Is that not true or just in the gut healing scenario?

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

Y'all: I just had my first glutamine moment. I had never noticed any huge difference in my gut leakiness after taking it. I just took it on its own and felt instant results. So, if you aren't getting results, try taking it on its own. I'm about to bump this supplement up big time. I have only ever taken like 7 g in one day. I know that's pitiful. I always thought I had to put it in a shake. Now I feel so free. How much is a good amount to take? My gut is super leaky. Really really bad.

I think it tastes good by itself in water (a little sweet almost), you can pretty much take as much as you can handle, start ramping, the limit is your wallet.
    My Crossfit auto template programming here, body composition coaching through Eat to Perform here,
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

I've heard that taking more than 5g at a time can cause digestive upset, but if that isn't the case, I'll slowly work my way up to doses of 20g, instead of doing 4 smaller doses throughout the day.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Oh snap, guys, just took another 5-g dose about an hour and a half after the last one, and my brain started to hurt (my gut did not). Did I just form glutamate? That frightens me, because I've been experiencing MS-like symptoms in my legs like I've been having nerve damage, and I've heard MS people have elevated glutaminase. What should I do? Activated charcoal? Help!

edited November 2015
    Do you ever find yourself to be slightly hypochondriac? Your fine, stop worrying, it's one of the most harmless things you can ingest.

Do you ever find yourself to be slightly hypochondriac? Your fine, stop worrying, it's one of the most harmless things you can ingest.

Hehe, well yeah, but I got it honest, trust me. I've had some super-bad experiences man. Trust me. I have full-blown multiple chemical sensitivity at the moment, which makes you kind of automatically a hypochondriac. Also, give me credit that I'm not worried about cancer or disease, like—at all. That's what I think of for hyperchondria.

My concerns are all about autoimmunity stuff and allergies. It's a new kind of hypochondria I guess that's pretty well-merited when you get random pains, neuropathy, concentration issues, depression, sudden fatigue, nerve pain, and a whole bunch of crap at any given moment and to varying degrees whenever you get exposed to an allergy, chemical, mold, or any given number of stimuli. It's like leaky gut to the max. Trying to aggressively repair my gut right now, because I am having trouble tolerating any and all alergens.

Just a little background for ya. That's why I haven't been on the forums lately (until the last couple of days). I was living outside because I couldn't tolerate the stuff in my house (mainly mold and EMF). Now that's under control, but other stuff kind of keeps presenting itself. I'm even doing an FMT probably next week. Pretty crazy stuff. 

Keeping this on track with the thread, I think l-glutamine could really help, don't you? I'm also taking Prescript Assist, which helps every time, but certain things seem to completely undo the good it does.

Anyone ever feel spacy/headache-y when taking glutamine solo? I don't really feel it so much when I take it with food in doses of ~5 grams, but if I take the same dosage in a cup of water with no snack, I feel very strange. You still on Glutamine, MLS? I stopped when I ran out, but am on the stuff again. It's been about a week, and I've noticed some effect, but I'm considering just taking it solo again. Want to make sure I'm not destroying my brain in the process, however. lol

edited April 2016

You got a bit of the leaky gut / leaky brain. When you take it strictly with food it stays more in the gut. When you don't, more gets into the bloodstream and crosses the blood brain barrier and without enough Gaba to balance it, it can be very excitatory in the brain. You probably do not have enough Gaba to help reduce the excitation. It would be best if you take it with food only. Then again why are you taking it at that dose anyway? You get more from eating on a daily basis.

Please join or like the Fix your Gut Facebook. Also please add me on twitter @FixYourGutJB.

You got a bit of the leaky gut / leaky brain. When you take it strictly with food it stays more in the gut. When you don't, more gets into the bloodstream and cross the blood brain barrier and can be very excitatory in the brain. You also probably do not have enough Gaba to help reduce the excitation. It would be best if you take it with food only. Then again why are you taking it at that dose anyways? You get more from eating on a daily basis.

Well, I notice it works better at clearing up my skin when I take it solo (sebhorreic dermatitis). I usually take 4 doses of 5g per day, for a total of 20g. I've been taking it with food. But, in the past, while slamming the stuff without food, it seemed to work wonders in getting rid of the seb derm.

I just figure that the glutamine might help heal up the leaky gut faster and rid me of this skin issue. It's gotten pretty bad in the past few weeks. I've been eating pretty damn clean, but the flakiness/redness persists. That's why I decided to pick up more Glutamine and give it a spin. So far, it's the only thing that's ever worked for me in clearing up the seb derm.

edited April 2016

Well, I notice it works better at clearing up my skin when I take it solo (sebhorreic dermatitis). I usually take 4 doses of 5g per day, for a total of 20g. I've been taking it with food. But, in the past, while slamming the stuff without food, it seemed to work wonders in getting rid of the seb derm.

I just figure that the glutamine might help heal up the leaky gut faster and rid me of this skin issue. It's gotten pretty bad in the past few weeks. I've been eating pretty damn clean, but the flakiness/redness persists. That's why I decided to pick up more Glutamine and give it a spin. So far, it's the only thing that's ever worked for me in clearing up the seb derm.

Its working because it is reducing leaky gut, but at what cost? Brain overexcitation is not the best.

What all have you tried?

Its working because it is reducing leaky gut, but at what cost? Brain overexcitation is not the best.

What all have you tried?

Well, I've been eating rather clean. Kicked all grains, which I thought might be a culprit. I guess I don't know where else to go with this skin issue, unless I visit some Dermatologist and get some sort of cream to use. It's pretty bad. Scalp, cheeks, eyebrows all get red and flaky. It's miserable. Any tips for it other than the glutamine?

edited April 2016

Well we can try to deal with it as a yeast overgrowth type issue. You tried rubbing anything coconut based on it first?

Well we can try to deal with it as a yeast overgrowth type issue. You tried rubbing anything coconut based on it first?

Yeah, I've tried coconut oil. It seems to make it worse, which surprised me.

edited April 2016

Yeah, I've tried coconut oil. It seems to make it worse, which surprised me.

Increases inflammation in some people and irritation. Doesn't surprise me entirely.

Why not try some sort of GOS supplement to increase diversity of the gut and see if that helps? You are already taking in butyrate through butter intake. Maybe take some ACV to increase acetate, mix some in with food. Collagen protein may help as a Bulletproof prebiotic. All of this would help with the integrity of the gut.

Bulletproof diet during fasting periods and reduction of carbs can reduce Bifido and Lacto in some people which may set you up for digestion issues.

Might be worth a shot. Any you recommend?

Moreover, if I continue using the glutamine in the short-term, do you think it's dangerous? If I continue using it with food to minimize any spaciness in my head, do you think there's potential there for long-term damage of any kind? And, technically, if the glutamine does help the leaky gut heal, won't I get to the point eventually where glutamine won't cross the BBB because my gut will have been healed?

Might be worth a shot. Any you recommend?

Moreover, if I continue using the glutamine in the short-term, do you think it's dangerous? If I continue using it with food to minimize any spaciness in my head, do you think there's potential there for long-term damage of any kind? And, technically, if the glutamine does help the leaky gut heal, won't I get to the point eventually where glutamine won't cross the BBB because my gut will have been healed?

http://www.klaire.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=K-GAL

Dangerous, no, but it could cause cognitive issues and brain inflammation. Unknown on the long-term damage. Eventually, yes, you need to be taking it with food only.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    If you have a leaky BBB, perhaps taking GABA powder along with the Glutamine powder, will counter the 'brain effects'... ?

It would be easy to test, as you mention you already feel the brain effects of glutamine powder taken on empty stomach.

fake it till you make it

Hmm, maybe, but the thought of playing around with my brain even more doesn't sit well with me lolol

I plan to continue using the l-Glutamine and will give the GSO a try. I may cut my doses down if I feel that spaciness and will keep taking it with food. And once the skin issues clear up, I'll taper my dose until I'm off of it. That seems like a safer middle ground.

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

Hmm, maybe, but the thought of playing around with my brain even more doesn't sit well with me lolol

I plan to continue using the l-Glutamine and will give the GSO a try. I may cut my doses down if I feel that spaciness and will keep taking it with food. And once the skin issues clear up, I'll taper my dose until I'm off of it. That seems like a safer middle ground.

good plan. & costs less.

The mad scientist was getting the better of me.

fake it till you make it

• @Skeletor said:

Hello Skeletor,

I too have Seborrheic Dermatitis, and have been supplementing with glutamine about 25 grams per days. It works so well, to say the least!. I've only been using it about 2.5 weeks. But I'm interested in your story, as it seems that you had it pretty bad.

Could you give us all an update on your condition as to whether you'd been cured of the seborrheic dermatitis from the glutamine supplementation?

edited December 2016

I'm afraid I have not been cured. I've still got it, and it's as bad as ever if I don't take a few precautions. I'm still hopeful that L-Glutamine could technically heal the gut enough to be a long-term cure, however when I last ran out of L-Glutamine I didn't replace my stock and have not been on it regularly since. Money was tight for a while and other things took priority. Thank you for bumping this thread, though. I'd been meaning to start up the L-glutamine supplementation and this is just the kind of reminder I needed.

Typically, I find I can keep the condition pretty manageable (minimal flaking, redness and itchiness) by taking cold showers daily and vigorously scrubbing the affected areas with some liquid, unscented Dr. Bronner's soap. For some reason, the liquid formulation doesn't aggravate my condition like the bar version.

Taking the L-Glutamine solo, in doses of ~5 grams, between meals, is what worked best for me. There are other possible treatments as John has posted upthread, but of all the things I've hitherto tried, the Glutamine is incredible. Night and day difference.

Keep us posted on your progress!

• RTL1980RTL1980
    edited December 2016

Thanks Skeletor for the update,

Seborrheic Dermatitis is caused by leaky gut syndrome AND dysbiosis, which an inadequate proportion of good bacteria to bad bacteria. With how bad you have it, I'd seriously be taking 30 grams per day, and divide the dose in two, to make sure there is adequate glutamine to have an effect on the gut as some gets degraded by the liver. So this on an empty stomach.

You should be taking a high quality probiotic supplement (good bacteria). The one I just started taking is called Once Ultra Daily by Garden of Life. It has 15 different probiotic strains and 90 billion CFUs. It's one of the strongest probiotics on the market and a 30 day supply is only $30. You also need to be drinking goats milk kefir(fermented milk) everyday to get your good bacteria at adequate levels and goats milk yogurt and be eating sauerkraut every day for the same reason. Make sure the sauerkraut you purchase is REFRIGERATED and STATES it contain live active probiotics, as sauerkraut in a jar on the shelf is useless and has no probiotics in it.

Even if you heal your leaky gut with glutamine, you run the risk of it returning as you have dysbiosis. You need to get your good bacteria up to adequate levels.

You also may want to consider seeing a functional medicine doctor to address your symptoms and cure you. Find a doctor that specializes in autoimmune diseases, leaky gut syndrome, dysbiosis, and nutrition.

I have an extremely mild form of it to say the least. I get a few dandruff flakes in my eyes brows every now and then, but the glutamine has really helped with that.

My question for you is, while the glutamine did help you when you were taking it, after you stopped taking it, did your sebborheic dermatitis return to the SAME level as before you started taking the glutamine, or has it diminished somewhat?

Yeah, when I stopped supplementing with L-Glutamine it slowly came back to the same level. It does wax and wane, though.

• I wanted to say that I have cured my seborrheic dermatitis by like 95% from drinking goats milk kefir every morning! No dandruff between my eyes, very little if any dandruff in my eyebrows. I don't get breakouts from eating junkfood, i.e pizza.

I'm not even using glutamine. You can use cows milk kefir, but cows milk can irritate your gut. A good strategy may be to use non dairy kefir and mix it with goats milk kefir to increase the probiotic amount as goats milk kefir can get somewhat expensive, at like $6 for a 32 oz container. Glutamine will help, but if you don't have a good proportion of good bacteria to bad bacteria, then you won't cure it.

You may want to try taking bovine collagen supplementation in combination with niacinamide facial serum as the niacinamide can restore you skin barrier function as that is one of the causes of seborrheic dermatitis, a diminished skin barrier. I purchased a 5lbs bag from the company custom collagen from Amazon and a 16 oz bottle of niacinamide serum online. Although, those may have helped, the real cure is the kefir probiotics.

• Skeletor,

Can you give us an update on how the kefir and any other supplements you're using have had an effect on your seborrheic dermatitis. I'm not cured yet, but I feel if I keep at it, eventually I'll be cured. I'm certain I won't experience anything extreme like I did before.

edited February 24

Certainly!

On your recommendation, I picked up a bottle of Redwood Hill goat's milk kefir and some Bubbie's sauerkraut from a local store. I tried the kefir, skipped eating things that trigger my SD for a couple of days (nightshades, grains) and was amazed that within 2 days the flaking was almost completely gone. It was staggering. The redness and itchiness were gone and the flaking was just a bit of residual. The change was miraculous, a night and day difference. I noticed, however, if I drank the kefir and still consumed problem foods like wheat or salsa, the flaking would return within a day or two. This tells me that my gut is probably rather compromised.

I feel pretty certain that if I were to consume the kefir daily, along with sauerkraut, while not eating any of the trigger foods for a few weeks, I may be able to cure it. I haven't used the kefir and Glutamine in tandem yet, but expect that their combined effects will knock it out for good.

I have a full canister of glutamine at the ready and picked up more kefir today, so I'll report back when I have something more definitive to share. I was stunned at the difference the kefir made, though. It was like magic. I should give my gut a rest and nix the nightshades/wheat, etc for a while. Eventually, I expect I'll be able to reintroduce them without trouble.

• RTL1980RTL1980
    edited March 28

Hi Skeletor,

I hope everything is going well for you, particularly your seborrheic dermatitis. I will say that I misspoke in that I'm not 95% cured, I am with regard to the facial dandruff, but not the skin rashes I get the next day after I consume gluten-containing foods. So you're taking kefir, sauerkraut, and glutamine? How is that working out for you? Has it reduced your rashes from consuming problem foods? I think you hit the nail on the head from your last post. The facial dandruff is from dysbiosis, but the skin rashes are from leaky gut syndrome. Please give us an update!