Workout Pill

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

Comments

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Huh.

Would you guys take it? Wonder what the side-effects would be.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

edited October 2015

I guess a part of me doesn't see the point for those of us who *can* exercise. So you don't have to exercise anymore. What the hell are you going to do instead that's so dang important? "Hey, I don't have to hit the gym like I used to. Now I can just pop this pill and get back to those reruns of Frasier I've been putting off."

Exercise can be relaxing, meditative, confidence-building... it can be a social thing, etc. It fills many roles and adds to so many different areas of life for people. I can't see a pill ever completely filling that need. And I think that any physically-able person who'd just pop a pill and sit out actual exercise is completely missing the point. But maybe I'm just being overly critical of this (not-yet-developed) pill.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

I guess a part of me doesn't see the point for those of us who *can* exercise. So you don't have to exercise anymore. What the hell are you going to do instead that's so dang important? "Hey, I don't have to hit the gym like I used to. Now I can just pop this pill and get back to those reruns of Frasier I've been putting off."

Exercise can be relaxing, meditative, confidence-building... it can be a social thing, etc. It fills many roles and adds to so many different areas of life for people. I can't see a pill ever completely filling that need. And I think that any physically-able person who'd just pop a pill and sit out actual exercise is completely missing the point. But maybe I'm just being overly critical of this (not-yet-developed) pill.

I'd approach this the same way I would approach legal testosterone therapy. It has absolutely huge potential for abuse, but just think of the potential to enhance. Like steroids *gasp* getting you back on the mat or in the gym quicker than anyone else, think of offsetting days and days of grueling office work or travel with a supplement and being able to feel like you're not dying. While you're crushing it at your business. If (when) it is possible, this thing takes all the biohacking we do for the office and travel, all the equipment and regimens, and slams it into a pill. We try to do similar things with nootropic stacks for motivation already, since sedentary work can crash you out and exercise is a major way of bringing you back online, but the motivation to actually go do the workout crashes first and hardest with most people. If designed well, this does it better. 

Physiological effects on muscles would be of concern I think, because what happens if you take your workout pill as a pre-workout for your workout, so you crush it while you're crushing it? Extra-sore muscles? I'm thinking that's not quite how this works (will work). 

This technology will be a legitimate "Whole-body nootropic" just like NZT-48 would be a legitimate intelligence enhancer. In fact, watching Limitless and having taken modafinil, I see parallels (even though the producers were NOT looking to parallel things in that way! Crazy!).

EDIT: Though my experience with Super Green Kratom, and my experience with Smart Caffeine and adequate sleep, were also just as enhancing as modafinil.

No worse than having a bionic limb replacement that doesn't require you to exercise to keep your 20" biceps able to curl 200lbs, or your titanium shin implants able to take a muay thai kick without shattering. Or that cybernetic shoulder replacement you get after trying to hit on a serious Ronda Rousey fangirl  :mrgreen:

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Perhaps I'd take it, but I wouldn't stop working out.

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

Also I don't believe for one second this pill won't have serious, negative side-effects. Mother Nature is smarter than some random species.

• RekaReka ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

I doubt that any pill could mimic that feeling when you push your limits hard and experience that you are more capable than last week. Nothing can compete with that.

(Except maybe ecstasy pills can sort of mimic that sensation, but those only fake it and inspire reckless things without a legitimate reason. :smile: )

And the whole body adaptation, not only the muscles get stronger, but also bones and joints... it's so complex.

It doesn't get easier... It's you who gets better.

Is your social worker in that horse?

Success has a price, not a secret.

Also I don't believe for one second this pill won't have serious, negative side-effects. Mother Nature is smarter than some random species.

Sanitation. Cesarean section. First aid. Eradicating smallpox. Lightning rods. Agriculture. Domestication. Hybridization. Refrigeration.

We overcome nature all the time. There is no driving will behind nature, it is just a label we give to the processes we observe. Nothing to 'outsmart'.

In fact, 'Nature' is really bad at some things. Our eyes are inefficient. Our appendix can burst. Our tonsils can become chronically infected. Our sexual organs are extremely close to our waste expulsion systems. Our skull is extremely large while the vaginal opening is still small, so we are born earlier and require more care as infants than other species. We are predisposed to magical thinking and apophenia. Our muscles will lose definition if not consistently exercised. Our emotional and mental state can negatively impact our physical state without conscious effort. Our teeth can grow too large for our jaw structure and kill us.

We are not 'designed' well if we are in fact 'designed'. Thankfully humans have been constantly working on expanding our editing suite, and we can now make massive alterations to our 'design' and improve or modify functions to fit our needs and desires.

• Lifting things and cardio acts as a break for my mind these days, so there isn't much that can replace that. I wonder what exercising and taking the pill would do.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

I wonder what exercising and taking the pill would do.

You'd grow muscles on your muscles!

Muscles on your eyeballs!

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

Sanitation. Cesarean section. First aid. Eradicating smallpox. Lightning rods. Agriculture. Domestication. Hybridization. Refrigeration.

We overcome nature all the time. There is no driving will behind nature, it is just a label we give to the processes we observe. Nothing to 'outsmart'.

All of those things have severe consequences. Overpopulation to name the most obvious.

• I can see what happens here, assuming it works. Some out of shape people are going to take a bunch of this pill so it's like they do a crazy workout and their heart will explode. I can't see this pill being legal in any 1st world country.

All of those things have severe consequences. Overpopulation to name the most obvious.

The existence of consequences does not magically cause 'Nature' to have the intelligence or agency to 'design' things, let alone 'better' than we could.

• I would try it.. May work?  :-|