Salt Water First Thing In The Morning

According to this page ( http://www.bulletproofexec.com/mastering-the-mid-day-recharge-in-only-15-minutes/ ) it is a good idea to start your day with a glass of salt water in order to kickstart your adrenal system. I've been doing this for a few weeks (with Himalayan pink salt) and don't notice any difference. I figure it can't hurt me since I could probably use more salt in my diet anyway, but if I don't feel any different whether I do it or not, is it necessary to continue?

I understand that salt does not = high blood pressure, but it raises blood pressure so your adrenals don't have to do it for you, is that right? Also, I'd like to ask about the role salt plays in retaining water.
Tagged:

Comments

• Gel caps with pink salt by the bed image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Please email me instead of PM

[email protected]
  • You should start a supplement company!
  • 'Pierre wrote:

Gel caps with pink salt by the bed image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I thought about doing that, how much do you end up fitting in a gel cap?
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'Desp' wrote:

There are various size caps. From 200mg to all the way to 1g. Salt is heavy, so probably double VS supplement powder. *guess*
  • I'm glad to hear there aren't massive benefits to doing this, like "avoid grains", because I find it a nasty way to start my day. I resorted to having a tsp of salt in a shot glass to make it easier, but it still sucked.
  • 'Wells wrote:

I'm glad to hear there aren't massive benefits to doing this, like "avoid grains", because I find it a nasty way to start my day. I resorted to having a tsp of salt in a shot glass to make it easier, but it still sucked.

Warm water makes it a bit easier.

[email protected]
  • 'Desp' wrote:

Try getting a gram at least.

[email protected]
  • M. ThomasM. Thomas A Stick of Butter a Day Keeps the Doctor Away.
    a gram of salt in gel caps or a tsp in a shot of water? How does this not induce vomiting?
  • I think they are kidding. If not, my money is on diarrhea.
  • 'Jason wrote:

Are you taking it before you get out of the bed? I started to do that and wait 15 min before getting up and found that made a difference, and it's not so much that its a huge diff, it seems to bring me to baseline right away instead of slugging around till I make my coffee.

No, but I don't feel particularly sluggish in the morning. Usually pretty well-rested. Is that the main benefit? That it kind of wakes you up?
  • 'Wells wrote:

I'm glad to hear there aren't massive benefits to doing this, like "avoid grains", because I find it a nasty way to start my day. I resorted to having a tsp of salt in a shot glass to make it easier, but it still sucked.

The first day I tried it, I thought it was so gross, so I diluted it as much as possible. But now, I don't mind the taste at all. You get used to some things.
    I use a tsp in 500 ml of water when I can remember to prepare it before bed. If I wake up and I have forgotten to place it next to my bed the night before I don't bother with it.
  • That is reasonable and practical. I like it!
  • I use 1tsp of salt (the Maldon's flake sea salt, rather than the pink himalayan, which I use for cooking instead) into a 500ml flask of water.

I have it made it, shaken, and left by my bedside at night heading into bed, then drink it on rising.

Your main question ran around "not really feeling any difference" and don't really "feel sluggish in the morning anyway" - my own results are that it doesn't actually result in any "feeling" at that point of drinking it. But rather, by day 2, I suddenly realised that while my entire office was collapsing and yawning every day 1pm-4pm, I wasn't doing it any more.

The "boost" seems to come with a much smoother, constant energy throughout the day.

Hope that helps.
  • Oh okay, that's what I was wondering. I'll try a few days with and a few days without to see if it has the same effect on me. Thanks.

• I think they are kidding. If not, my money is on diarrhea.

Not kidding. No diarrhea, just seems like it starts my day all wrong. I think I could more easily deal with it post work out like Jason Miller suggested.
  • Try adding some stevia to the mix. It is a cooking trick that I leaned from my grandmother for when she accidentally over salts her food.
  • I have been squeezing a slice of lemon in to my glass of water and salt and I think it tastes great. Not sure if its bp or not, but it works for me.

I also went through a phase where I drank this right before bed. Not sure that really did anything for me.

• I have been squeezing a slice of lemon in to my glass of water and salt and I think it tastes great. Not sure if its bp or not, but it works for me.

I also went through a phase where I drank this right before bed. Not sure that really did anything for me.

I wounder if equal parts ascorbic acid and salt will work the same way maybe?

[email protected]
  • My arms usually fall asleep while I'm sleeping (I get a really low heart rate and BP). When I drink the salt water, they stop tingling. In fact, I haven't had much of a problem with the arms lately.
  • I got a capsule machine with size "00" capsules. Each one holds about 1g of salt.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    I may need to get my own capsule thingy. I just do the pre made so when I wake up, all I have to do is reach down and pick it up! It really wakes me up when I'm still lying in bed and take it.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• I'm confused are you supposed to do it at night b4 going to bed or when u wake up? I generally wake up & once I wake up & make my way to kitchen I do it, from reading that people leave it bedside I'm wondering if doing it like 15m after waking defeats the purpose
  • Are there any studies that really show that salt don't rais BP? First time I heard Dave talk about salt in the am. he mentioned that it doesn't increase BP but is there a study that prooves it? PubMed don't have any I can find. Or is it a question of table salt+shitty diet vs. pink salt + clean diet?

[email protected]
  • suntouchersuntoucher Uninspired Potential ✭✭✭
    'Pierre wrote:

Are there any studies that really show that salt don't rais BP? First time I heard Dave talk about salt in the am. he mentioned that it doesn't increase BP but is there a study that prooves it? PubMed don't have any I can find. Or is it a question of table salt+shitty diet vs. pink salt + clean diet?
    I'm not convinced that there is anything wrong with regular table salt.
  • RodRod The Rodfather
    edited February 2013

I'm confused are you supposed to do it at night b4 going to bed or when u wake up? I generally wake up & once I wake up & make my way to kitchen I do it, from reading that people leave it bedside I'm wondering if doing it like 15m after waking defeats the purpose

Make it the night before and have it by your bed, when your eyes open, reach over and start drinking it. Once it's finished, either you will feel it or wait 5 min. Works wonders!

From what I understand, yes, it won't work well once you are up because the body already signaled the Adrenal to start making cortisol which increases blood pressure.

Everything I learned about "biohacking" has been baby steps to "circadian biology", that's where the real biohacking comes in. You can buy a bunch of cool shit to "hack" but if you don't have context, you're not winning. Paleo is just a brand now and too many have opinions, it's on you to read and reread the material to not only find truth but to connect the dots. Much love to everyone who has helped me on my journey for restoring my health, please keep in touch. Feel free to message me with health questions [email protected] 

• 'Rod' wrote:

Make it the night before and have it by your bed, when your eyes open, reach over and start drinking it. Once it's finished, either you will feel it or wait 5 min. Works wonders!

From what I understand, yes, it won't work well once you are up because the body already signaled the Adrenal to start making cortisol which increases blood pressure.

yah i mean i guess this can't hurt to do but i'll have to admit this seems a bit lunatic fringe to me, i mean, i don't have any trouble actually physically getting up out of bed, is one really doing there body a disservice getting out of body without chugging some salt water? i think a lot of things on here are quite helpful and in fact pretty genius, but i'll admit this one seems a bit of a stretch to me, of course it can't hurt so whatevs but what exactly does it accomplish reaching over when u wake and chugging this salt water. what is the tangible difference/advantage?
    Regular table salt is more than likely going to contain pollutants. Himalayan pink salt comes from million year old salt formations that were formed before man was damaging the environment so they are very clean. Natural forming salt also contains up to 24 other trace minerals while typical table salt usually only iodized.
  • Someone mentioned using ascorbic acid with the salt. I read somewhere that ascorbic acid and sodium benzoate would create a carcinogenic substance. What's the chance of that happening? Any chemists? Why not try citric acid instead?

• StevoStevo Upgrade in Progress

I'm no chemist, but I believe sodium benzoate is a man-made substance and isn't found in the natural himalayan rock salts. So I wouldn't worry.