Authority Nutrition - Eating (Too Much) Butter Isn't Healthy

Should a Low-Carb Diet be Ultra High in Butter? http://authoritynutrition.com/low-carb-and-butter/

Bottom Line: A new study shows that the health effects of high-fat dairy products as a whole may not apply to butter. The fats in butter are not enclosed by an MFGM membrane, and may raise cholesterol levels.

Bottom Line: Many low-carbers believe that saturated fat should be consumed in very high amounts, even added to coffee in large amounts. This is a bad idea.

What are your thoughts on this guys? I actually think they might be on to something.

Comments

• The real bottom line (from the article) :

Given the fact that some low-carbers see skyrocketing LDL levels when they eat a diet that is ultra high in saturated fat, I do not think that such a diet should be recommended without getting tested.

If you are experimenting with any way of eating that is outside the mainstream, you should be getting at least basic blood work.

So get tested! 

(Be sure to inform your current and previous diet partners in the event of a positive test.) 

• edited October 2015

This quote from the article resonated with me:

"Nutrition is a rapidly developing field, and what seems true today might get debunked tomorrow.  It is absolutely crucial to be willing to change your position when there is new evidence that indicates that you may have been wrong before. Otherwise, you’ll just get stuck in group thinking and cognitive dissonance, constantly having to ignore new findings and defend your outdated views".

• WalterWalter ✭✭✭

The real bottom line (from the article) :

If you are experimenting with any way of eating that is outside the mainstream, you should be getting at least basic blood work.

So get tested! 

(Be sure to inform your current and previous diet partners in the event of a positive test.) 

Then again, if you are in the mainstream eating a Standard American Diet, you might want to do your blood work too.

• Switched to heavy cream in my coffee and using more extra virgin olive oil myself.

LDL-p and -c have improved a lot.

Wonder what Dave has to say about all this.

--

Michael Stone

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭
    edited October 2015

I haven't been slamming the butter like I used to. Still eat ample fat, and still use at least a little butter daily, but I'm not drinking a whole stick in my coffee like before. Haven't had a BPC in a little while now, and the last 2 or so times I had one I actually got heartburn for the first time in ages. It was kind of weird. BPC just doesn't agree with me these days, though I wonder if it isn't the MCT that's the culprit rather than the butter.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

I haven't been slamming the butter like I used to. Still eat ample fat, and still use at least a little butter daily, but I'm not drinking a whole stick in my coffee like before. Haven't had a BPC in a little while now, and the last 2 or so times I had one I actually got heartburn for the first time in ages. It was kind of weird. BPC just doesn't agree with me these days, though I wonder if it isn't the MCT that's the culprit rather than the butter.

I say it's the MCT. I personally feel sick when I don't have enough butter. Don't know if it's one of those food addiction things, but I definitely don't gain weight on it. Can't drink coffee though at all, these days, but that's cause my gut was destroyed by peripheral antibiotic exposure.

• I cut out butter completely and started more using mct oil, olive oil, and avocado oil instead. I lost weight, had less brain fog, clearer skin and my minor asthma disappeared.

Maybe I'll track down some ghee. 

• I think we need to consider that Dave is really pushing butter as a health food because it goes well with his coffee. Not because it's actually the greatest health food and good for all people. 

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭
    edited October 2015

I think we need to consider that Dave is really pushing butter as a health food because it goes well with his coffee. Not because it's actually the greatest health food and good for all people. 

Hmm, not sure if I understand the connection. How does that benefit his coffee sales? He could come up with any recipe. Why not heavy whipping cream from grass-fed cows? I bet that would be delicious too (and more nutritious according to this article). He's probably pushing it for personal reasons yes, but more likely because it made him personally feel terrific, lose weight, look better, etc. 

ADDED:

Also, let's not take any steps back and start to fearmonger cholesterol again. High levels of total cholesterol and even the traditional LDL measurement of cholesterol have been recently shown to have no correlation to heart disease, at least in one study. Last time I checked, the whole sd-LDL thing was what we were looking at for cholesterol. 

Eating tons of butter raised my HDL (along with my LDL and total cholesterol, yes), and had no negative effect on VLDL. So, according to the link I've provided just above, isn't that potentially of benefit to my health? I don't really need you to answer that, because I feel better after doing it. No question. Oh, and cholesterol is also a building block of testosterone. I had ~300 total testosterone before the BPD, and when my cholesterol went up, my testosterone DOUBLED in no time. Again, let's not demonize cholesterol anymore. 

This isn't to say there might not be other negative aspects to excess butter consumption that come out in the future, but at this point, from this article, I'm not convinced that there should be any more concern than there was before. I already knew butter raised cholesterol, but I paired it with the knowledge that there are "good" forms of LDL as well. And again, let's just emphasize how raising HDL is one of the best ways you can prevent heart attacks hands down. Butter definitely does that for you.

I'd also like to emphasize what we all might have learned already (hopefully) about the HDL/LDL ratio & the triglyceride/HDL ratio (of which both of mine improved insanely), as well as the role of oxidized LDL (yeah, I know it's a fish oil website, but there's some studies there). I shouldn't downplay ridiculously high levels of LDL, though. I just think people need to look at the ratios before being too concerned. I've heard of people having a bad ratio come about just from consuming unfiltered coffee (because of the kahweol and cafestrol diterpenes that don't get filtered) and all they had to do was stop drinking those. That's why I started using paper filters myself, and I highly recommend you do the same.