I'm Going To Visit Chernobyl... What Should I Take To Protect My Dna?

I'm living in Kiev, Ukraine and I've booked a day trip to visit Chernobyl next week. Apparently, you can go and explore the abandoned city there for a few hours without it killing you.

I'm thinking I should take some precautions to protect my genes and/or repair damage.

I have some ALCAR which is supposed have protective qualities. What else should I consider taking before and after?

Comments

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    A Camera ans send Some photos. I assume you will be visiting prypiat. Chernobil is the Name of the powerplant afaik. Have fun.

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

Bring: A Geiger counter. A map. Cell phone for emergency extraction. The hope of developing super powers. A childlike sense of wonder. 

You would need to specify what type of radiation you are worried about in order for us to recommend the proper preventative steps and supplementation. I would suggest looking at tourism resources and seeing what they recommend as well.

• If you do a Google search on something like "nutrition to protect against radiation" you'll find some articles. Here's an example: http://www.safespaceprotection.com/Healthy-Tips-Article/healthy-tips-anti-radiation-diet.aspx

I think the suggestion sparefilms made about a Geiger counter was a good call. So you can tell whether you're in areas with mild radiation or really high. And if you are in really-high radiation areas, to get out of there.

You ever seen that TV show "Destination Truth," where they look for bigfoot and ghosts and other monsters? A total "guilty pleasure" show, because it's ridiculous and fun. I remember an episode where they went to Chernobyl at night to look for ghosts. They had Geiger counters and had some way of telling what their total (cumulative?) level of radiation exposure was so that when it got too high they knew to leave.

edited October 2015

Oh, I forgot to add that you can get a badge to wear that changes color based on radiation exposure. Mostly used for industrial jobs. Those might be good to have on your journey if you can track them down.

• SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who wants to chime in with: "If you give a crap about your health, maybe don't visit a place like Chernobyl"?

Let us know how it goes, OP!

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

• DManDMan Master of Arts ✭✭✭
    That would be too easy. :P

May you be well, may you be happy, may you be healthy, may you be loved.

How much to eat:
    advanced | How to train: bulletproof training | HRV: HRV FOR TRAINING HRV BASICS What Affects HRV | Brain  & Memory dual n back training advanced training

Chernobyl is actually a location-based nootropic:

edited October 2015

Here's a whole YouTube channel covering Pripyat and Chernobyl ;)

https://www.youtube.com/user/bionerd23/videos

Her video showing exactly how many fucks should be given:

• Modern Life SurvivalistModern Life Survivalist Saturated Fat Truther ✭✭

I'm living in Kiev, Ukraine and I've booked a day trip to visit Chernobyl next week. Apparently, you can go and explore the abandoned city there for a few hours without it killing you.

I'm thinking I should take some precautions to protect my genes and/or repair damage.

I have some ALCAR which is supposed have protective qualities. What else should I consider taking before and after?

Supposedly they administer iodine to people to block the radioactive iodine from getting into the thyroid. Also, I have read a lot about cilantro and turmeric detoxing radiation.

• Duff beer seems to work for Homer.

• Too late to help OP, but I do know that Soviet authorities handed out candy bars made with bentonite clay or something similar.

Selected threads from the BP forum (Use your own signature to highlight threads that you think are important or significant)

• Not sure if this link has already been posted, but I read this back when it first was posted, so now over a decade later I would think you would be even more safe.  Excellent read.

http://kiddofspeed.com