Bad Gas From Almost Any Type Of Beer

fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.
edited October 2015 in The Bulletproof Diet
I first noticed a general intolerance to beer about two years ago. This was about 6 months after I started drinking bullet proof coffee. I don't know why, but I suspect there'should a connection.

I don't know what the deal is but my gut gets destroyed if I drink just about any type of beer.

Through the weekend I've had to use the bathroom quite frequently. I can't even trust a fart.

I've just avoided the issue by avoiding beer, but now I find myself sitting at the airport praying for the moment I can just get home.

The BP diet has been awesome but there's a serious chink in my armor. I'm at a loss as to what is going on.

I feel like beer is kryptonite.

I'm definitely going to dive into looking for a solution when I get home.

Has anybody else had this problem? Maybe I'm just getting old, but I do miss being able to drink beer.

*as far as I know I can eat and drink just about anything else. Any type of ethnic food. Insane levels of spice/peppers, junk food every now and then. Nothing but beer seems to have any immediate consequence.

Comments

• dazdaz today is a good day ✭✭✭
    Are you fine with other alcoholic drinks

fake it till you make it

• fixerforhirefixerforhire Mr. Not Sure.
    I think so, but... this weekend I was also exposed to well drinks. I usually stick to higher end spirits and mixers when I do drink. Bourbon, whiskey, tequila, pisco, gin vermouth etc.

I suppose the total volume isn't too high, but usually 3-5 cocktails. Craft coctail/mixology caliber stuff never gives me problems.

Beer is definitely a constant. Lower grade alcohol could be a possibility with my problem.
  • SkeletorSkeletor The Conqueror Worm ✭✭✭

The same thing happened to me after my first serious period of adhering to Bulletproof. I can't handle beer at all. Bread doesn't bug me, but beer wreaks havoc. I don't know what it is, except that I feel profoundly awful. Gassy, upset stomach, headache, etc. I love beer, but it doesn't love me back. I haven't had one in quite a while.

I reckon it has to do with a big change in gut flora, but this is just a theory of mine and I don't have anything to back it up with.

"I know how to despise mere cool intelligence. What I want is intelligence matched by pure, physical existence, like a statue." --Yukio Mishima

Let's be friends on MyFitnessPal!

It's not a very scientific observation on my part. It's just a gut feeling.

A strong one. Heh.

I'm interested in finding a work around whatever the cause.

i'm not having much luck finding anything definite.

allergy to the yeast, residual complex sugars/oligosaccharides seem to keep coming up.

i'm going to try taking some alpha galactosidase(beano) this weekend and see if it prevents the problem.

I don't know if this a legit strategy.

thoughts?

• Can you be a bit more specific as to the kind of beer? The composition between beer styles can be night and day. Do domestic light beers give you the same problems as craft brews?

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

yuengling, coors light, budweiser, pabst, leinenkugels all mess me up.

which craft beer might be harder to pin down as I sample a number of types.

i can't be certain they all contributed to the problem.

can you recommend types to try exclusively?

• Stick to just craft beer and see if that makes a difference. Maybe try a night of sticking to IPAs.

I'm fortunate that I can actually convince myself that drinking beer has positive impact on my gut.

Make, [then,] thyself to grow to the same stature as the Greatness which transcends all measure; leap forth from every body; transcend all Time; become Eternity; and [thus] shalt thou know God. Conceiving nothing is impossible unto thyself, think thyself deathless and able to know all,—all arts, all sciences, the way of every life.  – Corpus Hermeticum XI “The Mind of Hermes”

so I go visit my mom for the holiday. I had a beer (leinenkugels) on all my flights, I drank a bunch of beer at home IPAs, Ciders, Ales, Lagers including coors light.

no problems. first time in years.

and yet two months ago I had one of the worst gut wrecks in recent memory but in line with previous beer consumption.

I am left with beer AND/or food. maybe food is the heavy hitting variable.

though maybe not as simple as saying bread. my Mom indulged me with numerous homemade turkey(not deli meat) sandwiches on sourdough.

i ate more bread in 1 week than I do in a year. ate pizza 1 night, chilis(stomach felt a little odd for a few hours) thai food and dinner at a steakhouse. all other meals were home cooked.

definitely did better this round on not gorging myself on convenience food. 4 convenience meals in 8 days. not bad for me. admittedly when I'm away I go off the deep end.

maybe something in fast food/restaurant food? 

or my gut has just overcome the issue? I did do a bout of BP IF starting in Nov to Dec.(not super strict, 3 days on 1-2 days off with off program foods here and there) to get the jump start on the new year.

nothing extremely different except I changed to Iodine w/tyrosine(225mcg/500mg) and se-methyl l-selenocysteine 200mcg

and changed my b12 supplement from a pill to liquid. same dosages.

February or March i'll chug some beer again and see what happens, less the convenience food.

if there are no problems, i'll run with it and never shall the two meet again.

In the end I suspect I'll come to the answer that convenience food is crap for the body. something everyone here knows lol. it's just worse for me than most others is my guess.