Are We Part Of The Problem?

2»

Comments

• edited November 2015

Different fatty acid chains are processed differently by the body.  The shorter chains found in coconut oil are special because they are metabolized with very little biological effort and help to induce ketosis.  Coconut (and palm) oil contains a certain percentage of MCT that is removed via a refinement process.  By consuming MCTs directly, you don't have to spend metabolic effort on metabolizing longer chain fatty acids, and MCTs seem to be much less likely to be stored as fat, since the body converts it immediately into a useable energy source.

Brain octane contains only the very shortest chains, which in theory makes them awesome.  Some people find that this makes a difference while others find that regular MCT oil serves them better.  When I first went Bulletproof, MCT bothered my stomach, but Brain Octane didn't.  Fortunately for my wallet, I do much better with the regular MCTs now.  I suggest some experimentation.

No idea where you got that from. I've used XCT Oil, Brain Octane and Onnit, they all seem equal in quality. Depends on what carbon chains and ingredients you are looking for:

Onnit MCT Oil - 12C (lauric) / 10C (capric) / 8C (caprylic) - coconut only

XCT Oil - 10C (capric) / 8C (caprylic) - coconut & palm kernel

Brain Octane - 8C (caprylic) - coconut & palm kernel

The Bulletproof page says:

"Brain Octane Oil comes from a combination of two sources, coconut and palm kernels. Because sustainability is Bulletproof, we source Brain Octane Oil from 100% sustainable coconut palms, and our palm kernel growers poses a sustainable and certified palm-farming model."

Though there is no further link to check out their palm grower. 

I'm still a bit confused. I understand that you would get XCT over just straight coconut oil, because you would specifically be getting the 2 most desired MCTs (capric, capyrlic). But why would I buy Onnit's over straight coconut oil? Isn't 12C/10C/8C already what is found in coconut oil? Is that longer chains are also significant in coconut oil?

Taste aside, is there really a health benefit for MCT over coconut oil? 

Also, is it true that caprylic is most readily converted into ketones?

Thanks! No brand bias, just genuinely curious and need to restock!

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

I'm still a bit confused. I understand that you would get XCT over just straight coconut oil, because you would specifically be getting the 2 most desired MCTs (capric, capyrlic). But why would I buy Onnit's over straight coconut oil? Isn't 12C/10C/8C already what is found in coconut oil? Is that longer chains are also significant in coconut oil?

Straight coconut oil has capric, caprylic, and lauric acid PLUS other things that do not digest as quickly. Onnit MCT Oil does not have the extra junk, just the MCTs.

From wiki:

"MCTs passively diffuse from the GI tract to the portal system (longer fatty acids are absorbed into the lymphatic system) without requirement for modification like long-chain fatty acids or very-long-chain fatty acids. In addition, MCTs do not require bile salts for digestion."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-chain_triglyceride

I am wanting JUST the MCTs and not the longer fatty acids. Coconut oil also has a coconut oil taste while Onnit MCT Oil has no real taste, so it's better for salad dressings or protein shakes if you don't want them tasting like coconuts.  

Taste aside, is there really a health benefit for MCT over coconut oil? 

Depends on the application. For most of us on here yes. Eating the equivalent amount of coconut oil would also be pretty gross after a while

Also, is it true that caprylic is most readily converted into ketones?

Check out BJJ Caveman's write-up on the difference between XCT Oil and Brain Octane Oil, I think he covers it. 

• Thanks, I appreciate it! I'm going to order some Onnit MCT. And perhaps Brain Octane as well after a bid more reading.

• sparefilmssparefilms Post-human Construct ✭✭✭

I can't recommend BJJ Caveman's write up enough, it is thorough and well written, chocked full of the facts about Brain Octane.

2»