Do Pills And Tablets Interfere With Intermittent Fasting?

Hi all,

I'm on full Bulletproof Intermittent Fasting.

BP coffees: 4.30am, 8.30am, 12.30pm (I know, I know, but I love it so 3 big cups it is)

Meals: 2pm, 6.30pm, 8pm (free range eggs, avocados, spinach, broccoli, grass-fed beef, wild salmon, BP chocolate)

I currently experiment with different supplements that are in the form of pills and tablets (mostly nootropics but regarding my question I guess it's not relevant).

That means that I now take a bunch of pills with my first coffee at 4.30am and another pack of pills at 12.30pm.

Are these breaking my fast by any chance?

I started to think about and now I have a hard time objectively assessing it because it all might be in my head.

Many thanks,

Comments

• We don't know. It largely depends on the person. If you take enough gelatine capsules that would sum to +1g of protein, that might be enough to trigger a blood sugar response and knock some people out.

There are also fats that trigger a tiny blood sugar response like coconut oil, which could also be enough to knock you out. I mention coconut oil because again we don't know everything that triggers a blood sugar response that aren't carbohydrates.

There is also the factor of quality control, and whether your supplements actually contain what they say they contain and aren't cut with flours, etc.

When in doubt go without. That's a big fasting window though so it might not be optimal for you to do that.

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• BrainSpankingNewsBrainSpankingNews Vitimus Maximus ✭✭

I doubt this is effecting your fast, especially if you keep consuming MCTs throughout the day. I wouldn't worry about that, but if you just need to know, you could pick up some test strips for ketones.

Are you in need of a Bulletproof Diet coach??

coach-badge-blue-300x60.png

Antony Reed

Founder/Editor of BrainSpankingNews.com

Health, Science, and Liberation

Clear-out the contrary and embrace the uncomfortable!

• I doubt this is effecting your fast, especially if you keep consuming MCTs throughout the day. I wouldn't worry about that, but if you just need to know, you could pick up some test strips for ketones.

I'm a little confused here. Since, as you say, he's consuming MCTs all day long would that not render the ketone levels indicated by the test strips irrelevant to the status of fasted or not fasted?

"Men are more easily wooed by imagination then by science" - Will Durant

Instagram

• UPDATE:

I tried it and I have to say that I definitely could feel them messing with my fast.

The more pills I took, the more considerable the effect became.

I took out the multivitamin and left in vitamin D, krill oil and some nootropics.

It feels fine now, but in general, I can sense a definite correlation.