Carbs And Weight Loss

So there may be other posts out there on this, but I just wanted to share my experience thus far for anyone who may be struggling with weight loss.

I went through about a month of total stagnation. I stayed exactly 245 lbs with very little variation. I've been doing everything right so far, following the food list and taking all of my roommate's advice (he's been on Bulletproof for years; I think he goes by 'Zonk117' on the forums).

But in the last week, I started changing something. I cut out all carbs with dinner. I had been consuming 1/4 to 1/2 cups of rice along with my meal, which is something my roommate does. But when I cut them out, I noticed results almost immediately. I've lost about 2 pounds since Monday (my official weigh-in day), even though I splurged and ate a Chipotle burrito for lunch yesterday.

I don't know what Dave would say on this, but if anybody is trying to lose weight and can't, I recommend cutting carbs at dinner.

Comments

• So you took out a relatively insignificant amount of food and experienced a 0.8% fluctuation in body weight, and somehow that solidifies a notion to not eat carbs at dinner. I could give several examples of exactly the opposite, who's right?

I don't know, I'm new to this. I've just been supremely frustrated the last few months, and my previous time posting here to reach out for help was met with basically silence. I figured making a new post would at least bring new comments. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

• Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to be rude, it's just that not eating carbs after 6pm has been disproven when food intake is isocaloric. If you weigh yourself every morning first thing after a pee and make a chart you will see your weight rise and fall like a wave. Likely you aren't logging your food intake or have a macronutrient plan. I suggest accurately filling out a my fitness pal log to see exactly were you are food wise, and exercise is a whole other topic.

Thank you! That is a good idea. I eat pretty much the same thing every day, which is pretty much the same as what my roommate eats, but perhaps I'm missing something. He's already very fit from doing this for years, so maybe I should be eating differently from him. Thank you for the advice. :)

• The reason you probably dropped weight is because carbs interrupt ketosis.  By not eating any carbs your body was able to stay in 100% fat burning mode 100% of the time.  When you went to bed that night, instead of burning through your new external carb supply your body went for your fat stores instead.

• In fact, you can be in ketosis and only burn dietary fat. 

And yeah, Cillendor, cutting carbs at dinner (and not replacing that food energy elsewhere) just means you're eating less. Best case you're losing weight (fat, not muscle, one would hope,) simply because of the decreased calorie intake. Not-so-good and probably more likely case is it's water weight, which is almost always lost when you cut carbs at any time of day. Also, I wouldn't eat what Zonk eats, because what works for him works because it's matched to his metabolic rate and activity level. As a start, use a basal metabolic rate calculator, figure out what your maintenance calories are, and compare it to a food log of what you're actual intake is.

"But you can lose weight on Bulletproof without counting calories!" True for many people, but if that isn't working for you and/or you plateau, it's time to dig deeper. 

• Please don't make it sound like you have to be in ketosis to lose body fat, that is a 100% false statement.

My apologies, it helps to burn body fat when you're in ketosis.

• You have your cause and effect backwards.  Ketones are the result of lipolysis (fat burning) not the other way around.

• So, does that mean you have ketones available anytime you're burning fat, even if you're eating a moderate or even high proportion of carbs? Or is a carb restricted state really necessary to get the benefits of ketones?
  • Ketones are always in the blood, but when blood sugar drops, ketone production rises.  Diet can play a role, but so can activity.  If there is glucose present in the cell, ketones will most likely not be converted back to Acetyl-COA because it takes more free energy than glycolysis.

• Either eat leaner pieces of meat and more veggies or try counting your calories if it's not stuck.   Heresy for some but it works.  Many of us find that easing up on the fat helps on low carb (gets you into a deficit faster).  

--

Michael Stone

• edited November 2015

So there may be other posts out there on this, but I just wanted to share my experience thus far for anyone who may be struggling with weight loss.

I went through about a month of total stagnation. I stayed exactly 245 lbs with very little variation. I've been doing everything right so far, following the food list and taking all of my roommate's advice (he's been on Bulletproof for years; I think he goes by 'Zonk117' on the forums).

But in the last week, I started changing something. I cut out all carbs with dinner. I had been consuming 1/4 to 1/2 cups of rice along with my meal, which is something my roommate does. But when I cut them out, I noticed results almost immediately. I've lost about 2 pounds since Monday (my official weigh-in day), even though I splurged and ate a Chipotle burrito for lunch yesterday.

I don't know what Dave would say on this, but if anybody is trying to lose weight and can't, I recommend cutting carbs at dinner.

My friend, Im sorry to tell you this, but there are a lot of super-annoyed nerds on this forum who've basically "rationalized" themselves to the conclusion that their idea is better than Asprey's. I have no idea, I dont really care, but it appears that Asprey was not wrong, or lying when recommending ketogenisis for fatloss (Chris Kresser wrights the exact same thing :) ). I think a lot of people have become angry with Asprey, for some reason that I dont care about, since Im not a whino, because they might have expected some type of "reward" or something for being so good at following his guidelines, but nothing happened. 

The first guy to respond to you is one of these that decided a couple of months ago that "Asprey is wrong" and now preaches his own gospel. There was one thread a month back where a woman was being ketogenic, the scale hadnt moved (as if thats a sign of fatloss) and the people here started throwing on carbs on her plate. She actually went "Oh, ofcourse! I should've added carbs!" which shows how easily people are swayed when told the complete opposite of what they read before. 

So, I would just go with my own judgement if I where you. Perhaps there is a point of being a little disappointed with Asprey, but that doesn't mean that facts are not facts. I await the flaming now...

• edited November 2015

Please don't make it sound like you have to be in ketosis to lose body fat, that is a 100% false statement.

Can you believe this horsesh*t? On a Dave Asprey-forum? I am ceaselessly amazed at how opposite humans will act to rationalize their own grief. Im not trying to mess with anybody, Im just cleaning up this forum. Stay keto! :)

Edit: Oh, ok, I read that statement as "Ketosis doesn't work for fatloss". It's obvious that people here, a year ago where great at doing Dave's job, I was really impressed, but I'm disappointed now, since now it looks like people just want to mess with Dave's forum by spreading opposite notions of what was insightful to begin with. 

Its a sad state of affairs...

• Edit: Oh, ok, I read that statement as "Ketosis doesn't work for fatloss". It's obvious that people here, a year ago where great at doing Dave's job, I was really impressed, but I'm disappointed now, since now it looks like people just want to mess with Dave's forum by spreading opposite notions of what was insightful to begin with. 

Its a sad state of affairs...

I'd say that's a mischaracterization. I'd say many of us on the forum are seeing real-world evidence of people who need more carbs either because they exercise more than Dave plans for, or because they have misunderstood the BP diet. 

Dave's advice works for many people, but I think newbies can easily make the mistake of "more is better," and assume that if Dave recommends cyclical low carb with refeeds and little exercise, they'll get better results with very low carb, no refeeds, and Crossfit 4x a week. If they have the willpower to keep this up, they're hurting themselves. 

The point of BP was never to be keto all the time, it's to have ketones when necessary for top mental performance. If you think I'm misrepresenting Dave just listen to the latest podcast (#257) where Dave does maybe 10 minutes on how most people can't sustain keto long-term, why he's built in cyclical carbs, and how he doesn't recommend even men IF every day, and certainly not women. It's a moderate viewpoint, and it's not all about ketosis. 

• Nobody should get trapped by this mental approach...

Dogmatic  adjective dog·mat·ic \dȯg-ˈma-tik, däg-\ : expressing personal opinions or beliefs as if they are certainly correct and cannot be doubted.

This thread and others like it are filled with all kinds of advice and opinions. Find what works for you. Carve your own path forward by experimenting, observing, trending and executing towards your goals. And remember...

• +1 to ACH85.  There is an enormous misunderstanding of the Bulletproof lifestyle.  Bulletproof is not about carbs, it is about being the best you can be.  People are becoming blind to the research and new ideas and are selectively listening to what they want to hear.  People are making themselves prisoners to their ego and they are surrendering their state of high performance to their beliefs and conditioning based upon their ignorance.  What will it take to wake people up from this superficial way of thinking?  They have to detach themselves from their ego, drop their emotional constraints (like the anger we see here), and this is very difficult.  For the ego, it is like accepting death.  This is why the Heat Math techniques are so valuable.  It allows you to get out of your ego, still the mind, and become objective.

Bulletproof is the state of high performance.

I'd say that's a mischaracterization. I'd say many of us on the forum are seeing real-world evidence of people who need more carbs either because they exercise more than Dave plans for, or because they have misunderstood the BP diet. 

Dave's advice works for many people, but I think newbies can easily make the mistake of "more is better," and assume that if Dave recommends cyclical low carb with refeeds and little exercise, they'll get better results with very low carb, no refeeds, and Crossfit 4x a week. If they have the willpower to keep this up, they're hurting themselves. 

The point of BP was never to be keto all the time, it's to have ketones when necessary for top mental performance. If you think I'm misrepresenting Dave just listen to the latest podcast (#257) where Dave does maybe 10 minutes on how most people can't sustain keto long-term, why he's built in cyclical carbs, and how he doesn't recommend even men IF every day, and certainly not women. It's a moderate viewpoint, and it's not all about ketosis.